Best western elk rifle under $1,000

With your intended purpose and criteria, a Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic Stock would get my money and they come in around $700.
70 degree bolt lift. One of the smoothest factory actions made today. Great user adjustable triggers and a 3-shot 1 moa accuracy guarantee.

just my .02

"When it comes to the fitness part of elk hunting, I think I have that covered. I’m an avid cyclist and runner (7 days a week) and compete in races, so I don’t think hiking will be the main issue for me."

Maybe not but the lack of oxygen at altitude will get you. I hunt elk almost every year at altitudes running from 6,000 feet MSL to about 9,600 feet MSL. You can run out of gas quite fast at the higher levels. One word of advice. Get there a couple days early to acclimate yourself. Altitude sickness is no fun and can be fatal. Aspirin can help. Just ask me how I know.
Paul B.

I would serious consider a 6.5 CM.

All the range and then some you can shoot. As its a light shooter you can get a light weight and not get knocked around. Also as flat or flatter than 300 WM.

And they are right about the altitude. I live at sea level, at the time I was biking to work 22 miles a day x 4 days a week.

I went to a Tech class in Denver, I always opted out of the car the company offeered if it was in walking distance of the Hotel). I could feel even that altitu (I think it was a mile)

I no sooner got broke in there and went visiting afterward at 9500 feet or so. All over again and worse. I had to watch my pace (I was helping move straw and manure around in a barn and moving cows around as it was calving season) .

I also helped my brother break in for sheep hunting years back. Whole new ball game up and down steep hills even at sea level.

Not a show stopper but you do have to watch it and its a week or 10 days to acclimate to altitude.

Out of the box, under $1000. A SS Tikka T-3. You can keep the weight under 7 lbs scoped with a smaller, lighter scope. Or still keep it under 7 1/4 lbs with a larger more powerful scope which is the way I'd go. With a $1500 total budget I'd spend the extra on better glass. You should be able to get a Tikka around $700-$750. You won't find anything lighter, or more accurate under $1000. And I mean ligher AND accurate, not either/or.

I have some "nicer" rifles including a Winchester EW in 308 and one of the Classic SS model 70's in 30-06 that meet that weight criteria. But I'd not be happy with them out of the box. With the after market stocks and other modifications to get them where I like them would cost a lot more than $1000. At 10,000', carrying all the gear you need to stay warm and survive you don't want anything much over 7 1/2 lbs ready to hunt with.

Caliber matters less than the bullet you chose. I carried my 308's last year and probably will in the future. With the right loads the 308 is capable at 400-500 yards and 400 is about my personal limit. But I'd be just as confident in a 7-08 or 6.5CM at the same ranges. Chose the right bullet and any will work.

Bigger, more powerful rounds like 30-06, 270 etc. will be effective at slightly longer ranges, and the 7mm and 300 magnums at even greater ranges. But I don't have the skills to shoot that far and at 400 yards no elk will know if it were hit with 6.5CM, 7-08, 308, or 30-06.

That doesn't mean others don't. I have relatives who hunt with 338 Lapua and have taken elk and deer at 700 yards. Everyone has a limit to their skills. It is only unethical if you try to take shots you're not certain you can make. For some people that limit might be 70 yards. For others 700. Only you can decide that.

The one poster was wondering what guns i have in 30-06. I shoot a Remington 700 in .30-06, a lightweight model, and my 375 H&H is a custom rifle built on a savage action, no muzzle brake and light profile barrel.

As for fitness, I understand how altitude can be difficult, but I’ve gone for runs comfortably at 7,000 feet on my trip out west, and I do a fair amount of hiking around my house in Pittsburgh, especially during hunting season. I’m only 18 years old, as well, so time is on my side, as they say.

The one poster was wondering what guns i have in 30-06. I shoot a Remington 700 in .30-06, a lightweight model, and my 375 H&H is a custom rifle built on a savage action, no muzzle brake and light profile barrel.

As for fitness, I understand how altitude can be difficult, but I’ve gone for runs comfortably at 7,000 feet on my trip out west, and I do a fair amount of hiking around my house in Pittsburgh, especially during hunting season. I’m only 18 years old, as well, so time is on my side, as they say.
Take your 06 and your youth and go hunting. You'll be fine. Best of luck, I just put in for my tags Elk, Muley and Speed Goats.

Shooter2675 said:
The one poster was wondering what guns i have in 30-06. I shoot a Remington 700 in .30-06, a lightweight model.....

......I’m only 18 years old, as well, so time is on my side, as they say.
That was me in your first post besides your .375 H&H, you made it sound like the rest if your rifles were military.

18 years old and a .30-06, don't chase after other cartridges/rifle just hunt. You'll be money and experience ahead, and elk and other species will be attainable quicker. Time is never really on your side. I know you won't follow that advice, because I to was 18 once.

There are many different perceptions of what "elk hunting" is. I would not count on seeing the portrait of the big bull out in the open in a mountain meadow...after season opens.
Some forms of elk hunting start as close as bow/muzzle loader range.
For at least 100 yrs the 30-06 class of cartridges,and I'd include any full size battle rifle cartridge from .303 to 30-40,etc...and most derivatives, such as 270,etc to be just fine for taking elk. (proper bullet and shot placement,of course)

With respect for First Nation People,"Its not the arrow,its the Indian" is the old saying. The Hunter just does not care so much.You can hand the Hunter a Savage 99 in 300 Savage and He/She will grin and bring you elk tenderloin.

The Classic Superb, elk rifle for at least a half century was a milsurp sporter,or Win 54 or M-70,or Rem 721 or Rem 700,Savage 110, FN sporter,Sako,...Need I go on? Generally topped with a solid Weaver,Lyman,Redfield,etc 4X fixed scope. My wild,unsubstantiated guess would say that describes about 80 % of the elk rifles from the 1950's through the 70's . As variables became more trusted,the trend moved toward the 2-7 and 3-9 scopes,and with more glass came more magnums.

The gun writers I followed still considered 400 yds the far edge of a responsible shot.

None of that was wrong.The elk did not change. A sporterized 1903A3 with a Weaver K-4 is still a fine elk rifle.

I watched a DVD from an "Outfitter" about "Elk Hunting". The plan was crossing ridgelines with the sun to your back,or in the elk's eyes.

The elk were observed across the canyon on the far hillside.Thats when the barrage began. Magnum magazines were emptied and filled.Folks with no clue about long range ballistics or shooting walked them in,hitting legs,hindquarters,guts,jaws,etc till the elk were down,followed by high fives,whooping,hollering,bragging,and celebration.

300 magnum to 338 magnums were typical.Actual ranges were not specified,beyond those estimated during the bragging. It was "cross canyon"

400 yds? 700 yds? Who knows.

Sounds ugly,but that's what some folks do. I've been invited to join in such a hunt. I declined. I won't help with the rifle for that style.

There are a few "long range" elk hunters who essentially use sniper tools and techniques. They might well have the skills and tools to make clean kills.

I don't judge them. To each his own. They don't need to ask "What is a good elk rifle?" They have a pretty good idea already.

IMO? an easy to carry ,fairly light 308/30-06/270 etc rifle with up to about a 40 mm objective,peak magnification from 4 X to 9X,will IMO meet all the needs of someone who actually HUNTS elk.

I've had some interesting conversations with a friend who was a working cowboy and also a Colorado wilderness area elk guide for a major outfitter for a few years.He had some observations on indicators what the hunt was going to be like. One was the client's rifle.

The classic picture of what he rolled his eyes over is the shiny new 340 Weatherby,4-16 "bargain" scope,installed at Sportsmans Warehouse by a clerk,boresighted,with the pricetags still in place.

If you had a moderate ,practical 308,270,etc,it gave him a good feeling.Especially if it looked like you owned it longer than a month. Your boots would talk,too.

Last edited:
I would agree 400 yards is the far edge of reasonable.

My brother pulled off a 400+ yard shot (paced) under amazing circumstances but he is special (truly gifted with a fast shot under pressure )

As a couple other posters have mentioned, use that .375 H&H. You want to anchor that elk. The .375 will certainly do that. With good shot placement of course.

All large game requires good shot placement.

We shot the leg off a Moose one time (yea it was bad and ugly and not something either one of us was proud of). That was with a 7mm magnum.

We tracked, chased and went hand to hand with it over 3/4 of a mile, it too an couple of hours to die (finally caught up after dark and could not get a good shot in)

6.5 and 375 will both kill Elk with the right shot placement, neither will if done badly.

Actually I have a foam core glass and Kevlar stocked # 4 bbl contour 21 in 375 Taylor with a Leu 1.5 to 5 on it. It carries as well as most fairly light 308's.

It has a 308 trajectory and useful range. (2600 fps+ with a 260 gr Accubond)

I have taken it elk hunting.Unfortunately,I don't get a shot every time.No,I don't need the power. I built the rifle and so for no good reason I've carried it. No one's approval necessary. :)

Everything is a tradeoff. Certainly a 375 will take elk.

But at 8000 or 9000 feet,snow covered sidehills,doghair,blowdowns,scree,talus,and just plain up and down,7 lbs in your hands may be better than 9 lbs in your hands,unless,as some folks do,you elk hunt from a lawn chair outside the pickup.

There are many different perceptions of what "elk hunting" is. I would not count on seeing the portrait of the big bull out in the open in a mountain meadow...after season opens.
Some forms of elk hunting start as close as bow/muzzle loader range.
For at least 100 yrs the 30-06 class of cartridges,and I'd include any full size battle rifle cartridge from .303 to 30-40,etc...and most derivatives, such as 270,etc to be just fine for taking elk. (proper bullet and shot placement,of course)

With respect for First Nation People,"Its not the arrow,its the Indian" is the old saying. The Hunter just does not care so much.You can hand the Hunter a Savage 99 in 300 Savage and He/She will grin and bring you elk tenderloin.

The Classic Superb, elk rifle for at least a half century was a milsurp sporter,or Win 54 or M-70,or Rem 721 or Rem 700,Savage 110, FN sporter,Sako,...Need I go on? Generally topped with a solid Weaver,Lyman,Redfield,etc 4X fixed scope. My wild,unsubstantiated guess would say that describes about 80 % of the elk rifles from the 1950's through the 70's . As variables became more trusted,the trend moved toward the 2-7 and 3-9 scopes,and with more glass came more magnums.

The gun writers I followed still considered 400 yds the far edge of a responsible shot.

None of that was wrong.The elk did not change. A sporterized 1903A3 with a Weaver K-4 is still a fine elk rifle.

I watched a DVD from an "Outfitter" about "Elk Hunting". The plan was crossing ridgelines with the sun to your back,or in the elk's eyes.

The elk were observed across the canyon on the far hillside.Thats when the barrage began. Magnum magazines were emptied and filled.Folks with no clue about long range ballistics or shooting walked them in,hitting legs,hindquarters,guts,jaws,etc till the elk were down,followed by high fives,whooping,hollering,bragging,and celebration.

300 magnum to 338 magnums were typical.Actual ranges were not specified,beyond those estimated during the bragging. It was "cross canyon"

400 yds? 700 yds? Who knows.

Sounds ugly,but that's what some folks do. I've been invited to join in such a hunt. I declined. I won't help with the rifle for that style.

There are a few "long range" elk hunters who essentially use sniper tools and techniques. They might well have the skills and tools to make clean kills.

I don't judge them. To each his own. They don't need to ask "What is a good elk rifle?" They have a pretty good idea already.

IMO? an easy to carry ,fairly light 308/30-06/270 etc rifle with up to about a 40 mm objective,peak magnification from 4 X to 9X,will IMO meet all the needs of someone who actually HUNTS elk.

I've had some interesting conversations with a friend who was a working cowboy and also a Colorado wilderness area elk guide for a major outfitter for a few years.He had some observations on indicators what the hunt was going to be like. One was the client's rifle.

The classic picture of what he rolled his eyes over is the shiny new 340 Weatherby,4-16 "bargain" scope,installed at Sportsmans Warehouse by a clerk,boresighted,with the pricetags still in place.

If you had a moderate ,practical 308,270,etc,it gave him a good feeling.Especially if it looked like you owned it longer than a month. Your boots would talk,too.

Good post!

A blued-barrel, synthetic stock, push feed Mauser M18???

I don't own one...but it does have good reviews - $699

Old Roper,I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. I do agree the H+H magnums came along IIRC about 1920.And I do agree folks used them hunting elk.

I certainly don't mean to say all folks who use a belted magnum hunt that way. I've used belted magnums quite a bit.

The OP asked about a good elk rifle. I did my best.The DVD I talked about showed 4 elk shot to doll rags by idiots.It was disgusting,and it was an "Outfitter" promotion DVD.

I don't have any DVD of anyone shooting elk at 900 yds. IMO,6.5 is just another bore dia between 6mm and 7mm.There is nothing special or magic about it. Nothing. But the hype is selling rifles.
You say I have this DVD of 900 yds and it does not bother me?Well,I don't.You are wrong. If I don't have it,haven't seen t,how could I be bothered by it? I don't endorse 900 yd game shooting.

The only thing that makes the 6.5 work is tight twists and the availability of bullets.Maybe its easy to shoot well.

I don't shoot at elk way far off.Actually,I'm 66 and I used to hunt elk.

As I said,I'm not sure what you were trying to say. Did you have a complaint? I can't tell.

Last edited:
Back