Best way to sell low-value guns

pgb205

I have several firearms that I would like to sell. VD40, Ruger 10/22, a few others. From what I'm seeing these don't sell well and no one wants to even give me a quote for them. What would be the best way of disposing of them. I don't need top dollar, but would like the process to be easy/legal. Bill of sale/FFL transfer etc.

Online auction site? Local pawn shop? something else?

Captain Obvious showing up here...
I don't know if you live in a state that allows face to face sales but if you do, well a few times in Minnesota (I should emphasize a very few) face to face sales, even in public places have turned out badly.

By the seller being an armed thief who takes the money and runs or by the buyer being an armed thief who takes the item for sale and runs.
Good luck.

P.S. I am a devout acoylyte of Cheapshooter:
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

List them, in here !!!

pawn shop or gun shop. expect to get half of what they sell for new.
True and a local auction house is another option. You might want to list them on this site and think you can get a fairly good price. I do local appraisals and if you feel confortable with the idea. Post some pictures/information, in the "Private-Message" section, on request !!

Be Safe !!!

half the price IS what I'd expect and be ok with. My only caveat is that I'd want entire "collection" to be taken off my hands in one sale (six firearms).

I'd rather avoid person-to-person sale. I want Bill of Sale, FFL dealer. The whole thing to be "legit" and recorded.

"SIX" !!!!, Not a problem

I'd rather avoid person-to-person sale. I want Bill of Sale, FFL dealer. The whole thing to be "legit" and recorded.

For the number you have, I don't see a big problem. If you have a local FFL dealer, that you trust, sell them on consignment.

Might add that what I have sold, I have made a profit or broke even. I have given some away but have never lost any money. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Go talk to your local FFL dealers, gun shop, pawn shop, any place that sells used, and see what they offer and what they require.

Some might not want them, as they are low profit items that might not "move" rapidly and will be taking up space until they do sell. If they buy them from you outright (and it will be a lowball offer if they even make one) your problem is solved.

If they take them to sell on consignment, the dealer will handle all the needed legal requirements and the buyer will pay the transfer costs. When they sell, you'll get a check for your share and you're done.

Dealer can also put them on the internet auction sites, and will handle all paperwork you just pay their fee.

I recently sold a large number of guns. I took them all to the pawn shop, told him what I wanted and he added 20%. 80% of them sold within two months. Covid was still a thing and the market was very strong. The ones that didn't sell I dropped the price after 3 months and then they were gone too. It was a pretty painless process.

MTT TL said:
I recently sold a large number of guns. I took them all to the pawn shop, told him what I wanted and he added 20%. 80% of them sold within two months. Covid was still a thing and the market was very strong. The ones that didn't sell I dropped the price after 3 months and then they were gone too. It was a pretty painless process.
If I understand your post correctly, you didn't do a usual pawn shop deal, in which the pawn shop buys the guns outright. Your description sounds like the pawn shop took your guns in and sold them on consignment -- although you didn't come out and say that. I've sold guns on consignment through three different FFLs, but I've never before heard of a pawn shop doing consignment deals.

I have several firearms that I would like to sell. VD40, Ruger 10/22, a few others. From what I'm seeing these don't sell well and no one wants to even give me a quote for them. What would be the best way of disposing of them. I don't need top dollar, but would like the process to be easy/legal. Bill of sale/FFL transfer etc.

Does your state allow face to face transfers without background check? If so, consider selling them at a local gunshow. Place them for sale below market value as a private seller and you can set your terms for transfer. If you want bill of sale, demand it. Those looking for deals and are on the up-and-up won't have a problem. If you want some tips for this, PM me. I did gunshows for about 5 years as a hobbyist.

If you're willing to take half of market value, I think you'd be able to take them to most any local gun store that sells used guns and sell them all to the store.

If you want closer to market value, the consignment option as described above will work but won't be quite as fast or simple.

...to add to my original question.

One of the firearms is 'home-made', ar-style rifle. It is high quality components(aeroprecision). Should I expect any issues with that?

Gun show, if you can. Or, Gunbroker. Believe it or not the Ruger 10/22 will fetch a little money. Even in fair condition, they typically fetch $150+. What I do is sell off some guns I don't want any longer and then put the cash aside (in a plastic baggy in my safe) to help pay for something I'd rather have.

The devil is in the details!!!

One of the firearms is 'home-made', ar-style rifle. It is high quality components(aeroprecision). Should I expect any issues with that?
The devil is in the details. I doubt that it is "Home-Made" if it has a serial number. Probably what you have, is what we call "Upgrades" that adds frosting to the cake. On "Upgrades" one seldom gets what they have invested. The labor is free. In some cases, I restore them to original issue, prior to selling. ..... :rolleyes:
Gun show, if you can. Or, Gunbroker. Believe it or not the Ruger 10/22 will fetch a little money. Even in fair condition, they typically fetch $150+
At best, but has to be in pretty good shape. I once encountered a young man who was selling an upgraded 10/22, for $600.00. In a "positive" way, I recommended that he take it back to original condition. By the end of the show, he had not sold it, went home and did as I suggested and got a price, he was happy with. ... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
In my area gun shows were being choked to death by the legal and political climate some years ago and COVID nailed the lid shut, buried the body in an unmarked grave and they are now a fondly remembered extinct critter.

I don't expect to ever see them again in my lifetime, absent I win the lottery and move to somewhere they still exist.

When I lived in Illinois, I was also on an online statewide gun board there and sold a couple guns via the auction section on that board. My local police station allowed and encouraged people to do transactions in their parking lot. Illinois also has an online lookup so I could verify the buyer was legal to sell to as well and created a bill of sale too, all for no fee.

AB - That is correct, several of the local pawnshops sell firearms on consignment, although I only used one that I like. There are two sticky points of the deal.

The first is that the 20% goes hard as soon as you sign off on it. So if you have a $1000 gun for sale (which he will have on the floor for $1200) he gets $200 whether it sells or not. They don't collect the 20% until it sells or you take it off the rack. When I reduced the prices on my guns, he only charged me the 20% on the new prices when they sold, which I thought very reasonable.

Another issue is that if you do take it off the floor, they also charge a $20 transfer fee since they have to transfer it back to you. The shop had taken custody of it for sale and they require an ATF Form. You would think that would be built into the 20% but I sold at least one gun for less than $200, so I can kind of see a point, even though the transfer is very low cost to them for the employee time.

That said, they do list your items on line with nice pictures at no cost to you. I also like the idea that I am not selling to a prohibited person, even unintentionally I wouldn't want it to come back to me in our litigious crazy society. There is a nice, neat paper trail.

That particular shop won't buy or deal in second hand ammo. After I eliminated a few calibers I took the ammo I no longer needed to another pawn shop where the owner gave me good prices on most. Some of his offer prices were too low, and when that happened I decided to keep it to sell or trade later.

As soon as I walked out the door an employee followed me out and offered me what I was asking the owner for, for the rest of it. They have a store policy that if a client leaves the store (with anything, not just guns and ammo) then employees are allowed to make parking lot deals. I was in the middle of moving and downsizing at the time and it felt pretty good to get rid of all the excess I didn't shoot or use anymore.

If I can't sell them to a local shop, I demill them and give them to the local LEA. They will get thrashed used as "concealed" guns in training and the academies. I have two I need to get to an LEA on hand now.

It certainly depends on the dealer and your relationship with them, but last fall I took all my milsurp bolt actions to my LGS on consignment (save 2) and told her what I wanted for each one. She took 15% commission, but she also sold most of them for more than my price, so I came out fine. She also made money so nice chance for a better deal on my next purchase or overlooking the dealer fee on my next GB purchase.
Oh, walking around the next gun show with one might get you an offer.

Back