Best way to hunt pigs as quietly as possible.

My family used to trap wild hogs years ago in Louisisana.
The
trap was a wooden pen about 6'x12' and about 5'
high. There was a sliding wood gate held up by a rope
that was tied to a stake near the back of the pen. Bait
in the form of whole ears of corn was tied to the rope.
Forget the exact scenario of how it was attached.
The pig went for the bait and when he pulled it, the rope
tied to it untied the knot, and the heavy wooden gate
then slid down
trapping the hog. Didn't always work, but ususally did.
And you don't have to wait around for the pigs to come.
then you can deal with them at your leisure.

set a trap

G'day. I was just surfing around and came across this great site. I have a possible solution to your problem. Around where I live we trap pigs in a humane and RSPCA approved way.
Just get yourself about 30 foot of reenforcing mesh about 6 foot wide and make a circular cage out of it. The cage is put on its end and the ends of the mesh are pushed in towards the centre of the cage. What you have should look like a heart shape when viewed from above. The ends of the mesh that are making the door should be left rough, with the sharp cut ends of the mesh left on. Use some star pickets around the trap to hold it all in place and to hold it down. You need to bait it with something tasty (here we use road kill) and leave a bi of it around the entrance to get the pigs used to the trap. If the pigs are extra cautious you can prop the door open with a bit of stick just wide enough for the pig to get in past his ears and if he sticks his head in he will open the door a little more and the stick will fall out.
Once the pig is in the door the uncut ends mesh back together and he can't get back out.
Then you just show up in the morning with the .22 and do him in.

I hope this makes sense?

Mick

El Rojo,

I recommend archery tackle due to the close proximity of other homes.

A crossbow might be your best bet for quiet eradication of these pests. :cool:

Back