best way to carry if you dont like OWB or IWB?

don't laugh but I still use a Miami vice classic from galco. yep, that's what its called. I usually wear a tight underarmor shirt, the shoulder holster then a loose shirt(with collar).

SOB carry, shoulder rigs, carry garments....

1st, Id advise no to any Small of Back or SOB carry(also called middle of the back). If you are pushed or fall on your back, you might have a serious spine injury or lower back problems. It's a common worker's comp injury for many state troopers/sworn LE officers who slip on the ice or are hurt on duty to fall directly onto the handcuffs, gear, weapon(s), etc.
If IWB or OWB carry is out, Id look at a decent horizontal shoulder rig with a slight cant & ideally horizontal mag holders. Aker Comfort Flex is a great rig that won't strain your neck or be hard to wear for extended periods. The Kirkpatrick Leather & Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holsters are great too. Some like the Ted Blocker Lifeline.
If shoulder rigs are not up to your standards, you might want to buy a few new concealable shirts & vests that have chest pockets. You can hide a small or compact pistol with 0 problems there. My long sleeve 5.11 charcoal shirt has pockets all through it. There are new active wear & undershirts too that can conceal small firearms too. For pocket holsters Id look at the Mika, the Tuff Products or the great DeSantis Nemnesis.
Don't forget to include a spare mag or 2. I always pack at least one extra magazine even if I have a 17/18 round pistol. The spare mags & maybe a small knife or white light can level off the weight in a shoulder rig.

Clyde
www.glockstore.com www.5.11tactical.com www.tedblockerholsters.com www.usgalco.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com www.policehq.com

I have learned to tolerate carrying a gun on my belt, but I don't like it. If I do it one day, I have to switch to something else the next. It is not just a matter of comfort, I have an annoying medical condition that requires me to wear my belt and trousers quite loose... If I load my pockets up with too many keys or too much change, my pants start to fall off my hips... so a 25 oz gun means I have to tighten up the belt more than I should... and the next day I pay for it with bloat, constipation, and in some cases a painful bout of indigestion.... sorry to get into the gory details, but some people just don't believe me when I say I have a hard time wearing a belt holster.

That said, I still carry IWB or OWB about half the time. Particularly if I am going to be mostly standing or walking, or if the carry time is short (two hour trip to the hardware store)... IWB is very convenient.

For the other times:

I have found the "Kangaroo carry" all cotton shoulder holster to be great in the summer. I wear it over a tank-top undershirt, then a T-shirt, polo shirt, or button-up shirt over the top. Even in hot weather this works, If you chose your tank-top undershirt correctly. Get a good athletic one.

The Galco Miami Classic was mentioned. I enthusiastically recommend this rig. A really big heavy gun can be carried with this rig, so if you carry something modest like a Glock 19 or a Ruger SRC, the gun disappears, and you barely notice it.

I have found the "Kangaroo carry" all cotton shoulder holster to be great in the summer. I wear it over a tank-top undershirt, then a T-shirt, polo shirt, or button-up shirt over the top. Even in hot weather this works, If you chose your tank-top undershirt correctly. Get a good athletic one.
Belly-band works great in this fashion as well. Not exactly a speed rig, but anything can be made faster through practice, and it's very comfortable. I have a DeSantis I use on occasion.

Deja vu said:
I think one of the reasons i dont like it is lack or opportunity to carry like that. I can carry at work but we have a dress code and I have to wear slacks and a single color button up shirt tucked in and a tie. This is the way I dress 6 days a week so may be I should just count on being a little slower draw.

there is only one solution a "tuckable" IWB holster. Good luck finding one for your revolver but I would give some of the reputable tuckable companies a call you never know. My advice is get a semi, Wreck-n-Crew said it best.

I exclusively carry my Glock 23 and Kahr PM9 appendix style. I find on the side to be a little less comfortable. I do find find my Sig 229 to be more comfortable on the hip mostly due to the weight. I can draw from the appendix quicker then 3-4 o clock.

Back in my contractor days and long before you saw them in stores or on the net I worked up a couple day-planners to hold my CCW. With all the tools and activity, body carry never worked out for me. Business's and customers never had a clue and it was more accessible when I was in the van/truck.

Now that I've traded In the tool belt for khaki's and collared shirts I'm toying with other options. Namely back/hip pocket carry. Something I never thought about till reading Keith's "Sixguns". I find it more comfortable and accessible than front pocket. I hope to have time this winter to work up a couple holsters to try for J frame and Walther size guns.

Last edited:
Dillon Plan B

http://www.dillonprecision.com/cont.../Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner

Dillon-Web-Cat_0128_m.jpg

Back