Best Way To Attract Deer And Hogs?

Another deer attractant that might be of interest depending on your hunting area is cover.

Around here, it's hard to compete with the corn,beans and alfalfa fields the farmers grow every year. But I did a select cut in a mature woods a few years back where there was very little undergrowth due to the thick canopy.The undergrowth came back with a vengeance.

There is more scrapes/rubs around that area then any other place on the property. Problem is, every deer I've shot runs dead into those briars that are so thick it's not possible to walk into. Gotta use a machete to chop your way in and out.

I've sit on the adjacent hillside and glassed some nice bucks going into the thickets to bed down.

Knowing I can't compete with all the farmland, having made the select cut and let the thickets hold the deer, I've changed my food plot to sugar beets that have paid off well during the winter months. The more it frosts the sweeter the tops get to the deer. After they eat the tops, they'll dig the beets out of the frozen ground all winter long.

Last edited:
Yeah, beets are good if they grow well where you are. My neighbor has a pic of a deer shot over on his place of a deer still with a beet in his mouth that had just been pulled up when the shot was made.

Of course, the hogs will get the beets as well if the deer don't.

^^^You bet!

Got some apple trees in the yard not more then 25yds. from the house and have seen some monster at night munching away. Same in the garden. :mad:

What DNS said.

This year i will plant about 30 acres of food plots on three dispersed properties. One of those properties is smack in the middle of wheat country. The old ruined farm has lots of thicket for the deer to hide in. When the guns crack the deer head to that place and stay because of the food plots.

Here's one for you...

A friend of mine had a source for cull carrots. He use to dump a truck load on his property every so often. We'd sit in a blind & watch as the deer ran in & started chomping. The best part was that once they started eating, you didn't have to stay quiet anymore!

CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH....LOL

One fruit in the woods that deers and hogs can not resist is the Persimmon. If you find Persimmon tree with fruit, you'll find deers and hogs close by.

You know, I have maybe a dozen persimmon trees on my property. None are large. HOWEVER, of the hog poop I find and examine, there is a high probability it will have acorns (1000s and 1000s of oaks on the property) and/or persimmon seeds. They do love persimmons.

I'll take your word about hogs liking persimmons DNS but I can assure you deer love them too. There are two persimmon trees(one large, the other smaller) here in the yard and when they start dropping, the deer put on quit a show. Have counted as many as nine deer under the larger of the two.

Have never seen this for myself but a buddy of mine swears deer love hedge apples as well.

Back