Best value in .45 ACP semi-automatic pistols?

Canine

My vote is for the CZ 97B. The accuracy is excellent, as are the ergonomics, balance, and handling. The weight and grip design allow for easy rapid fire (like a 9mm). My runner up is the Ruger P97.

For me , the best value .45 has been my Charles Daly FS model 1911. I know others may have had bad experiences, but I have had no problems in something like 800 rounds. 100 of them rounds have been Hydrashoks, and no problems. The gun has excellent accuracy too.

hello...

the ruger p-90... ruger p-97... and for a sub-compact... the republic arms patriot... all american made firearms...

regards... v.

[Edited by V-MAX on 02-21-2001 at 08:19 AM]

Best Value, in my mind, has to be the base Kimber 1911 - the Custom
Custom_Medium.jpg

Match grade aluminum trigger group, match grade barrel & chamber, upswept beavertail grip safety, nice tight fitting (these guns don't rattle), etc.
It won't be the least expensive .45ACP you can buy, but it is a solid value for the money - you should be able to find it in the $625-$650 range without difficulty.

Kevin

Well,

I'm going to have to give the nod to the Daly FS models as well. Not knowing much about them I wasn't sure if my buddy made the right choice in a 1911. However, after our initial range session I'm convinced it is a quality firearm. He purchases his at a gunshow for ~$380. I have a Kimber Custom Classic (as shown by Kevinch) with wood grips and I'm starting to wonder why I paid almost twice as much as I needed to. A few things I'm not too keen on with the Daly is the ambi-safety and the extended slide release. I also prefer wood or Hogue grips and a matte finish on the frame and slide. But these are very minor IMO. The Daly is tight and accurate. The trigger is a bit mushy out of the box but I think it will smooth out over time. Between the two of us we sent ~200 rounds downrange. I had my Kimber along and got to comparison shoot them side-by-side. The Daly stayed with my Kimber all the way. We had two or three FTF's on the first round with one of the factory magazines. But I had several mags with me and they all worked perfectly. Field stripping revealed clean internals though heavily oiled. No burrs or machining marks to be found as is the same for my Kimber. All in all it's an impressive gun for the money. Gryphon, if you're lurking around here, why not chime in on your new 1911 gem.

Regards,

Warm Bore

Star FIRESTAR .45, you could get them for about $200 for awhile there and these guns are still around.
They are by no means as perfect handgun - but they function well, concealable and are accurate enough for CQB work.

Star and Astra merged into one company some time ago and I think are out of business now.
Parts for the Firestars are still around - but you have to find the sources.

If some are to be believed, they suggest the Hi Point... but I'ld rather sing the entire score of H.M.S. PINAFORE butt-nekked in a public park before I'ld depend on a Hi Point for defense.

If you want a good pistol thats on par with the best of the best - you can find used HK USP .45s for sale for around 400. I saw one for 395. Thats BEST VALUE in my opinion.
Even if the USP is beat up - it is still a fantastic fighting handgun.

The new Colt 1991A1. Colt has superior steel, they seem to be back up to older and better quality standards as well. Get the stainless and you'll have a gun for your grand-kids.

A used SIG 220 has been my favorite. Used with slight holster wear and just a little bluing worn off the outside of the barrel, it's more accurate than I am, comfortable, simple to operate--in short, a great gun. I love those sights, too. And by buying it used I got a gun that functions like new for less than $500.

Ruger P97, its butt ugly and its big enough to BE a double stack..but it will work and its reasonably priced. Just over $350 should be a good price.

I haven't seen that new CZ but it looks interesting too, and it holds 10rds. Might be worth a look. $350-400 should be right.

In the "good old days" A Colt 1991a1 wouldn't set you back too much, thats still one of my faves. $450-500 is what they SHOULD sell for.

I'd say THE best value is Ruger P-90 (or P-97 is it proves as accurate and durable). It works, it's tuff and accurate (unlike other Ruger semi centerfires). The mags are cheap.

Another best value brings shootability and ergonomics into equation. That would be G-30.

CZ-97 hands down. For $350-400 you get great looking gun, that is ultra-reliable and quite accurate.

I have yet to see a single CZ pistol that wouldn't be a bargain at retail+$200.

Back