Best Used handgun

kh1911

I'm lookin for a good used handgun doesn't matter if its semi auto or a revolver, im lookin for preferably something older but anything used for under $500 would be what im looking for. I dont want anything synthetic or polymer. As for caliber, id like something with a bit of punch behind it. Any suggestions would be good, thanks.

If you want a little punch a S&W 19 would be 357 vs 38 for the model 10. I think you'll get more gun for your $500 budget with one of the Ruger 357's. You can probably find a used GP-100 for that.

If you do not mind SA you could do a really nice Ruger Blackhawk. Get a convertible and you can cover .38/.357/9mm. I like the balance of the 5.5" but the 4 5/8" is a player. They are easy to shoot. A heck of a lot of fun. And STEEL. Great pistol whipping weapon.

Wow, there are a lot of good options:

a CZ 75 can typically be found used for under $500, and I consider them en excellent pistol.

I second the votes for either a S&W K frame or a Ruger Six Series. Both should be doable at under $500

A Rock Island 1911 is another good solid option, and can be found in my area for under $400 used easily. If you want to go really old school, you can look for an old Systema Colt 1911 or an old Norinco.

LE S&W 5906, or any of the steel S&W 3rd gen guns.

An Armalite AR-24 is the only all forged steel CZ-75 type you can buy, and very accurate.

The old Springfield P9 are some of the nicest fit and finished CZ clones.

Kahr K9.

Walther PP.

Sig P6.

Walther P88.

Benelli B76.

Bernadelli P018.

Vektor SP1.

Best would be a k-frame Smith and Wesson revolver. Models 10 (38spl) and 13 (357) or Models 64 (38spl) and 65 (357) depending on your preference for blued vs stainless. If your intended purpose is home defense, look for a 4" barrel. For concealed carry, a 2" barrel and round butt grips would work nicely. They're readily available in your price range on the used market.

I too, would recommend something in 357. preferably a S&W 19 or a Ruger Security Six. Both are wonderful revolver's with the Ruger being the stronger built. You can load the 357 up or down if you reload, and can shoot 38 specials all day long if the recoil of the 357 becomes tiring. Just a personal opinion.

What's your skill level?

For someone with little experience I suggest a good double action revolver. It allows them to concentrate on the most important things. The trigger and where the muzzle is pointing.

.357 have enough power for most needs, although don't overlook the .38

I'll add to the list a bit:

p226
p6 +1
s&w 2nd&3rd gen semi autos
rock island 1911 +1
a good high power copy
cz
taurus pt92

for full dislosure, I have not owned a high power or CZ, both on the list though.

I think a more important question would be what is it going to be used for? $500 open up a big window for a nice used gun.

Let's see...

Older, bit of punch, all steel.

Early model Charter Bulldog .44 special.

Good value and a lot of them still out there.

Fun to shoot, as well.

You can get a new one, shipped, for less than $400.

The older ones, IMO, may have been a little bit better made but will probably cost about as much as a new one.

W.

I picked up a Sig 228 at a pawn shop about 3 or 4 years back for $330. Didnt come with any magazines though. I thought it was still a really good deal.

id be using the gun for home defense and target shooting, and personal defense. As for my skill level ive got plenty of experience shooting all kinds of different firearms, so im pretty comfortable with anything really

For your three criteria I would go with the S&W 19 or the CZ 75, and I echo RX-79G's comment that if you could find a Springfield P9 you would have one of the better CZ 75 clones. For home defense and personal defense there are lots of firearms that would do a good job. For fun to shoot and accurate, those two would be a great choice.

I have a few of the others that some have listed, but the CZ and my Smiths come out to play more.

David

Used surplus Browning Hi Power. They can be had from Coles Dist shipped to your FFL with reasonable transfer should be OTD under $500.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=2621012.

pix842735987.jpg

I'm lookin for a good used handgun doesn't matter if its semi auto or a revolver, im lookin for preferably something older but anything used for under $500 would be what im looking for. I dont want anything synthetic or polymer. As for caliber, id like something with a bit of punch behind it. Any suggestions would be good, thanks.

Lots of options.

At least you willing to spend a reasonable amount of money. Just, don't forget to budget for "accessories and accoutrements".

id be using the gun for home defense and target shooting, and personal defense. As for my skill level ive got plenty of experience shooting all kinds of different firearms, so im pretty comfortable with anything really

Ruger P-series guns.

Last edited:
Have you ever fired a pistol chambered for the 9X18 Makarov round? It's a bit more powerful than a .380 (which is actually 9x17). The real Cadillac of the Makarov guns is the CZ 82. A shop here in Columbus, Indiana (Peddler Firearms) has a real beauty for sale. It's been completely refurbished and refinished and wears a set of Marschal walnut grips and has two magazines. He's got it on GunBroker starting at $399.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=429258513

Last edited:
Back