Best type of home defense shells?

jok3r_65

Inactive
I'm buying a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 next week for home defense. I've been looking around but can't seem to decide what type of ammunition would be best to use. I live in an apartment complex so I was looking for something that wouldn't penetrate the walls (birdshot?). I also read around that 00 buckshot was good but might be too much in an apartment. This will be my first gun and not really sure what would be best. Thanks! :D

#4 Buck...

Since you "own" each and every pellet, over penetration and what happens to any pellets that miss is especially critical in an apartment.

You should easily be able to justify shooting an intruder in your residence but you can never justify hitting a bystander an apartment or two from you.

Under penetration is also a concern any time bird shot is used.

Many years ago a friend and I did our own testing... Various sizes of pellets and buckshot and slugs into 4'X4' sheets of thin wallboard on a 2"x4" frame. From that testing we both went to #4 Buckshot instead of "0", "00" or "000" buckshot or slugs of "combo" loads.

T.

Last edited:
I have read that in all shotshell loads, #1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck.

Also, #1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body. For home defense applications a standard velocity 2¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is most likely your best choice.

I recently acquired a 500 Slugster. Bought 3 inch Remington magnum hollow point 1 ounce Sabot slugs for hunting. And bought 3 inch 1 1/4 ounce Federal rifled slugs for home defense. My gun has a rifled barrel and a wood stock. Yesterday I got a 6 shell side saddle and I have a 5 shell holder on the stock. I know I'll have to trim a little to make the forarm clear the side saddle, but it's worth it.
My other home defense shotgun is a Stoeger Condor. I have a shell holder on the stock and I keep Federal 000 2 3/4 for it.

12ga defense loads, tactical rounds...

If it were me, I'd load a home defense or protection 12ga with a "tactical" brand from Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc.
Most of the major ammunition factories sell LE grade 12ga ammunition to the private sector.
These 12ga loads have low flash, low recoil and enough power to aid you in a violent attack(home defense event).

I'm not a huge fan in general of 12ga shotguns as defense weapons but if I owned a 12ga, I'd load it with some SWAT/LE type ammunition.

CF

If you live in an apartment you best hit your target as you have few, if any, good lines of fire. I might consider "birdshot" as it probably won't kill anybody, including the bad guy, but will probably stop the fight. If you move, the #4 buckshot would be the minimum and #1 buckshot (harder to find) would be perfect. Low recoil 00 buckshot is always a good choice.

I was just engaged in one of these discussions a few days ago. I use(d) a common light/medium load of birdshot since the shotgun is kept handy for other varmints besides a home invader. At across the room ranges, the load of shot is a loose lump about the size of your fist traveling at 1100+fps. Unless your badguy is wearing body armor, he's going to be injured seriously if not fatally.
I've seen a light load of #6 blow a hole right through an injured cow's skull @ 10' and #4 HV "duck loads" fully penetrate a deer's ribcage and stop under the skin on the far side @ 10 yards.
I don't follow the logic of using heavy recoiling shotgun ammo for confined spaces. All it does is slow down repeat/follow up shots.

Most apartment walls are drywall so...

number 8 buck shot or light fowl buck shot is more than sufficient for home defence in an appartment. Honestly if you're buying a pump the racking sound will send most burglars away in a panic. As a non-lethal option you can buy bean bag rounds which hurt alot, or go to a gun smith and have a few rocksalt rounds made. Most people pause after a deafening boom and a feeling of impact.

Always a never ending conversation with same varied opinions.

Truth is that as pellet size decreases along with the danger to innocent bystanders, so does the effectiveness of the load (except very close range).

You can increase safety all the way to using bean bag, if you want. In the end, we make our choice and sit down.

Thank you for all your replies. I decided that since I live in a small apartment with a neighbor across the hall (and a very short hallway leading to the front door) I will go with birdshot. If it weren't for my neighbor or the shortness of my hallway, I would definitely go with 00 buck (which I bought anyway, just in case).

I have no problem taking an intruder's life (he decided to put it on the line the second he enters that door). I definitely wouldn't use any kind of nonlethal force. But I definitely don't want to risk the lives of anyone else. Thanks again to everyone.

go to your local store purchace the inexpensive shells, 7 1/2 or 8 shot take a piece of 1/2" plywood 7 paces you will see at room distances it is for the most part still a slug. center mass an intruder will end his or her life of crime rather swiftly. it will penetrate a wall if you miss, but not three. 00 will penetrate many walls befor it runs out of steam. if you do the test wear safety glasses some will bounce back. (words of experience)

"Honestly if you're buying a pump the racking sound will send most burglars away in a panic."

Walk into a gunfight with an EMPTY gun? Ridiculous...:rolleyes:

T.

Search previous posts for interesting perspectives on birdshot, buckshot & slugs for home defense. Lots of good points are brought up from both sides of the fence. I use #6 birdshot myself. ;)

"Honestly if you're buying a pump the racking sound will send most burglars away in a panic."

Right, they'll probably pee their pants on their way out. No worries at all that your racking the slide could be met with instant gunfire. We should remember that all criminals are wimps, none have ever been in gunfights, none know what it's like to be shot, the concept of fighting back is foreign to them, and none could bring themselves to kill another human being.

So, rack the slide, let them know where you are, and watch the fun as they bump into each other as they skedaddle. It's a complete myth that prison is a tough place full of tough men, and that most of whom will be back on the street at some point, and lots of them already are. :D:cool:

Last edited:
I'm considering using Polywad Quik-Shok slugs. They are 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/8 oz, .68 caliber Sabot slugs. And they are made to expand to where they fragment into 3 pieces. Although they are for hunting, they are designed to reduce over penetration. They come at a pretty reasonable price too.

Back