Best trigger for Rem 700 SPS

warbirdlover

If I got one of these what is a good aftermarket trigger for it? The SPS series (I'm on a budget) does not come with the Rem adjustable trigger.

best trigger hands down in a Jewell but expect to pay $200 for one.

Next best would be Timney then Shilen, Rifle basix.

Never met a factory Remington trigger that was not junk.

I have a timney trigger on my 700 and I love it.

My stock trigger is better than any other trigger I have shoot, so, I think it is great will I know the differance the moment I install them and can I install them with basic tools and decent knowledge?

M700SPS .308

Last edited:
They are adjustable. Great trigger for a factory rifle. I like my stock 700 triggers better than my Savage, with accu trigger. The accu trigger feels like a club to me.

From what iv heard a jewell trig are about as good as they come.

Iv never had anything other than my stock trigger.

I am also a Jewell fan and have them on both of my 700 BDL’s.
The only problem I had with both is that the stock does require a little modification to clear the safety since it’s changed slightly so that it operates smoothly. This had to be done to both my 700’s.
The quality of the trigger and the improvement that the Jewell makes in the 700 is very impressive.
I have let several friends shoot my 223 BDL and they immediately went out and purchased there own Jewell trigger for there guns.
Originally I had mine set to 0.8 LB (This is a bench only gun) but I found it to be too light. I have both set to 1.5 pounds and it’s the weight that works best for me.
What I find most impressive about Jewell triggers is the break. I have seen and handled some very high quality guns with master gun smiths trigger jobs and I found the Jewell factory installed trigger to be equal.
The take up is short and there is zero creep and the break is like glass.
When I built up my last 700 I asked my gun smith what I should do with the trigger since I have never been that impressed with Rem triggers for bench work and his suggestion is the trigger that I have on the gun and after spending a year I put it on my 700, 308.
I have a target AR15 that I plan on getting one installed when the funds are available,,,,, and the wife says OK,:confused:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...ce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10636

I bought a brand new SPS 308 last year, and it does have an adjustable trigger. Its not as easy as a savage trigger, but its pretty close. take another look at it, and look up the serial #.

If you do have an adjustable trigger, thats probably the best you can do on a budget. good triggers often cost half the price of a new rifle.

I thought the X-mark pro trigger was the only adjustable one on Remingtons and the SPS says nothing about having that trigger on it. The manual for it says don't adjust it. And I agree on a good trigger costing $$$$. That is probably why I won't buy this gun.

my Remington SPS does have the xmark pro. I'm pretty sure that one does have it, unless its an older model that the store has held on to.

Any factory remington trigger on the 700 is adjustable as far as I know.

The thing is they are going to tell you to not adjust it for safety reason.

Adjusting it is harry business when you adjust sear engagement if not done right the slighted bump could set the rifle off.

Remember anyone who replaces the trigger on any Remington product that if you have to send it back they are going to remove that trigger and replace it with a factory 9# crappy trigger. Doesn't matter if it was smithed or home replaced. If it isn't a Factory remington trigger it will be gone and you will get a bill for the price of the trigger $145 last time I checked I believe.

So if you replace it never send it back or keep your old trigger and just swap them out for a trip to the factory for warranty repair.

It took a buddy 3 weeks and working his way up the ladder to get his jewell 2 oz bench rest trigger back.

Once adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing it is hard to beat a factory Remington trigger. It is not something I would recommend as a DIY project until you have someone show you how.

The only thing the accutrigger has on the Remington is that it is a DIY project that is pretty foolproof. Mess up the Remington and you have a dangerous rifle on your hands. If it is done right, it is better than the accutrigger.

I have not replaced triggers on either of my rem 700s, one is the rem sps varmint and the other has the new xmark externally adjustable trigger. I would recommend having a gunsmith adjust it for you if you have the non-externally adjustable one, as i watched mine do it and i could not/would not have wanted to do it myself, plus they can check it to make sure it is not dangerous in any way. Also, what are you really needing it adjusted for--benchrest? hunting? I have heard stories of some of the high-dollar triggers failing under extended hunting conditions.

Since I have no experience with adjustable trigger just issued stuff, I would like to try it on different pull weights and over travel! It will be set for hunting not BR so I will not set 1 1/2 oz or anything like that, more does she group better at quarter pounds from 1 to 3!

I have not replaced triggers on either of my rem 700s, one is the rem sps varmint and the other has the new xmark externally adjustable trigger.
The X-Mark Pro trigger is exactly the same as the old triggers. They just do more internal polishing now. Adjusting them is exactly the same. I've adjusted my own twice now. Once on the "old" style and once on the "new" style. Both attempts resulted in FANTASTIC triggers. IMO, aftermarket 700 triggers are a waste of money.

Back