Best straight-walled cartridge for deer hunting.

Ron,

Thanks for the response! I'm really struggling with this purchase: I read, and read, and read about cartridges, and I've been saving up for a Nebraska rifle, and was all set for 7mm-08. Then we moved to Iowa.

So with that being said, the whole rifle thing went back to the drawing board for me. To be honest, I thought Iowa was slug/muzzleloader only when we moved, but was thankful to learn they decided to allow hunting with something else, especially in a repeating rifle configuration, this year.

I love the idea of a .44 lever action (with a revolver to pair with it in the future), but the 444 Marlin would be great as a true rifle cartridge in comparison to the .44 mag. Because I'm recoil sensitive, I'm still leaning toward that .44 mag. Decisions, decisions..:o

Also, thanks to all of TheFiringLine's members, and their insights on this matter. I know there are a few states dealing with this odd..:confused:...legal method of hunting situation (a .460 rifle, 45-70, or .454 Casull somehow wouldn't be as dangerous in Iowa as a .30-30??)

I'm originally from Nebraska. Dundy county, west of McCook. My family farms there about 25 miles south of imperial. Brother lives in Kearney, wife is from colombus.

Anyway, knowing your environment you will be hunting in, I honestly suggest a .45-70.
The reason is because you can use the leverevoluton ammo from hornady and have an easy 300 yard rifle that is compliant with Iowa State law. You can shoot downloaded cast ammo that kicks very mildly, or if you get a lever action or Ruger #1, you can push it up to some pretty stout loads.

I'm fairly new to the 45-70 myself. But I have learned just how versitle this cartridge is. In fact you can load it with pistol powder and make a .44 mag--like pussycat load...or,like I said, go big with a 405 gr jacketed bullet and imr 3031 and stop a grizzly bear.

If you don't reload, 45-70 ammo is easy to find too, and the lever revolution ammo from hornady is good stuff.

Anyway. I wanted a lever action straight walled case gun. And after much research, and evaluation of utility, I went 45-70 and do not regret it one bit.

Elliottsdad:
Ron,

Thanks for the response! I'm really struggling with this purchase: I read, and read, and read about cartridges, and I've been saving up for a Nebraska rifle, and was all set for 7mm-08. Then we moved to Iowa.

These are always difficult threads as when trying to help someone make a decision not knowing them is difficult. About anyone can do is suggest a cartridge or rifle they prefer and explain why they prefer it. Ah yes, recoil. My little Ruger 44 Carbine, even being a gas gun, is not quite a pleasure to shoot wearing a T-Shirt. The recoil as perceived by me is a stout bite. However, when hunting and the shot comes the last thing anyone thinks about is the felt recoil. You just become focused on the shot and everything seems automatic. Even when taking two shots in quick succession. Before you know what happened it's over and hopefully your game is down and dead on the spot or real close to it. :)

The early logic Ohio and similar states used when determining a rifle for deer hunting was Population Density. That combined with how flat the state is. The theory being a heavy bullet at a lower muzzle velocity will drop quicker when the target is missed. This does not always eliminate bad things from happening. Several years ago out in the Amish Country a kid discharged his muzzle loader simply to clear it. He fired up angle and a mile away that slug came down striking an Amish girl, in a buggy and killed her.

Anyway, I am sure you will be happy with your ultimate decision and you are doing your homework in the decision making process.

Ron

Remington doesn't invest in dead-ends

Actually, they have a history of investing in dead-ends (or nearly dead ends). .244 Remington, 5mm rimfire, 7mm Remington Express, RUMs, etc.

Actually, they have a history of investing in dead-ends (or nearly dead ends). .244 Remington, 5mm rimfire, 7mm Remington Express, RUMs, etc.
There's a notable difference between a product failing to take hold, and re-investing in an established product.

And nearly everything on that list has been done by other companies, as well. Remington isn't the only gun or ammunition company that has had new products flop, due to design deficiencies, incorrectly gauging the market, using the wrong marketing approach, or going a little too far in trying to skirt the law. Though Remington is the only one I can think of that shot themselves in the foot by changing the names of cartridges multiple times.
Other failures that come to mind: .256 Win Mag. .350 Norma Mag. Ruger Hawkeye revolver. .22 Winchester Auto. Pretty much all of the short mags (Rem, Ruger, Win...). .38 Casull. Win 1893. Daisy V/L. S&W Model 53. .401 Herter's Powermag. Win M59. .45 GAP. 8mm Hodgdon. And more...

357 max is the flattest, least recoil, and plenty of power out to 200 yds.
Someone did recently produce some ammunition, but I believe it was rather tame and use ?Jameson? brass which has less than stellar reviews.

Rifle choice

I would like to suggest that you look around at a couple of stores and see what kind of ammo is readily available to you unless you reload.Any of the cartridges you listed will work.Another consideration should be what type of hunting,close in woods or over an open field. I think though I would look long and hard at a 44 mag.

Either a pistol cartridge or a buffalo buster is not a choice I'd like to make. Neither are bad but stupid law is stupid...30-30 would have been a prefect choice.

"Either a pistol cartridge or a buffalo buster is not a choice I'd like to make. Neither are bad but stupid law is stupid...30-30 would have been a prefect choice."

I couldn't agree more.

.444 Marlin with Hornady leverevolution 444 marlin ammo! 265 Grain pointed bullet at 2325 Feet Per Second!

OR

45/70 Marlin with Hornady leverevolution ammo. 325 Grain pointed bullet at 2050 Feet Per Second.

Either one!

Deaf

zipspyder said:
Either a pistol cartridge or a buffalo buster is not a choice I'd like to make

You know what... your right. Since I live where straight wall cartridges, or shotgun is the requirement, I decided that my Marlin 1894-44 Magnum needed a partner. I just ordered the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70. I will have it Tuesday.

If you are looking at mating a revolver and longarm, any of the pistol cartridges will work fine. Just select your bullet/load carefully and keep your shots reasonable. With the .357s good bullets 158gr or heavier should do the job nicely.

I have .357, .44 and .444Marlin and all are capable of taking a whitetail.

Back