best starter deer rifle

I've noticed that .308 ammo is difficult to find these days. There's plenty of .270 Win, .243 Win and other hunting rounds. Even 30-06 is a bit limited, but not as bad as .308.

A lot of Maine hunters like Rem. Core-Loct ammo and last fall it was almost non-existant, especially in .308.

if all you're doing is 50-75 yard shots then a scope is really not necessary. however I would recommend a lever action in 30-30. a good marlin 336 would come in under budget and would pack a lot more punch in your specified range than the 223 and would do equally well with factory iron sights or with mounted optics. I like see through rings for lever guns so you can use either depending on the situation.

A starter needs something readily available and cheap to shoot without reloading.

Unless the rifle is chambered in something that has lots of available military surplus ammo for practice (good luck finding that), NOTHING is "cheap to shoot" ...... without reloading.

More practice is better, and unless you reload, you'll spend more on sufficient practice ammo than you did on the gun in pretty short order......

The best deer rifle, regardless of chambering, is the one the shooter is familiar with.... the one he can bring to shoulder and have the sights/crosshairs aligned on the target, without thinking about it.

That's not going to happen without a lot of trigger time, both live and dry fire.

Lots of live fire won't happen without lots of ammo...... reloading will make that happen..... you won't save any money- you'll shoot a lot more though, and you'll learn a lot while you're at it.

That said, the best values in "deer rifles" are nearly always found on the "used"/consignment racks ..... most rifles in "deer" calibers are not shot all that much ..... a box or two a year at most, and most spend far more time in the safe than at the range or in the field. They probably get used for a couple of years at most before getting traded or parked in the safe in favor of the Next Big Thing.... With the incessant marketing of today having convinced so many hunters that it is not the Indian, but this new and improved arrow (or supersight, or irresistable scent, fool-proof(!) call, or invisible camo pattern, or magic underwear, or whatever!) that matters. For 90% of shots at deer in this country, there is not a dollar's worth of difference between most of the "deer calibers" out there- most any deer out there, when shot through the chest, would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Remington 710 launched .30-06 bullet and any other major caliber bullet put there by the most expensive one of a kind custom made rifle everyone on this forum could collectively dream up ..... the deer would still be dead.

What matters at crunch time, when the game appears, is that the hunter has the skills to put the bullet where it needs to go, and quickly. To that end, would it not be a better plan to have a $300 rifle you've put 1000 rounds through, than a $3000 rifle and scope combo you've put 100 rounds through? Though this sounds like an extreme comparison, I'll bet the average deer hunter in this country is much closer to the latter situation than the former.....

Caliber and make and model are far less important than trigger time. When you go looking for your "deer rifle", get the one you can get the best deal on, in a common chambering ..... and get dies for it and then attempt to wear your purchases out by practicing- first by developing a good load from the bench, and then by attempting to shoot up to your bench ability ..... without the bench.

I've noticed that .308 ammo is difficult to find these days. There's plenty of .270 Win, .243 Win and other hunting rounds. Even 30-06 is a bit limited, but not as bad as .308.

Locally, there are plenty of .308" bullets along with powder and primers ..... not a problem for folks with the skills and hardware to put them together .....

If I could make .22lr (and legally sell it), I'd be RICH!!!!!!!!

jaytothekizzay

$500 will buy you decent bolt gun, however you should consider optics.

What you are going to depend on several things:

Location of hunting?
Type of game (Present and future)?
Recoil tolerant (You need to be very honest)?

Although the Remington 770 is a OK gun, (from what I have told) it's just that OK - basic starter rifle.

Since huntin' season is a-ways away, take your time - you'll be glad you did.

Years ago (back in the mid-80's) I traded in a Marlin 336 30-3-30 and along with some cash, purchased this:
270overview.jpg

Model 70 Winchester (Featherweight) in .270 (Burris 3X9 Scope)
I hunted deer from the east to the west coast and several places in between!
Although I wasn't making a ton of money back then, I glad I put the extra cash into a decent rifle. I had a better scope on it but I took a nasty fall while I was hunting in AZ a few years ago and broke the scope :(!
The Burris was my back-up, just never gotten around to putting a better scope on it - hell it works!
The rifle has never failed to drop and deer, as long as I did my part.

I hunted in Michigan for several years while stationed at Wurtsmuth AF Base. My rifle was an older Remington model 141 pump gun in 35 Remington. This rifle fired heavy 200 grain bullets best of all and I never had to track an animal. Typically the deer would topple at the shot. Great performance!

Used 141 rifles sell for about $400. here in Pennsylvania.

I would not hunt in Michigan with a bolt action rifle.

Jack

Best Starter Deer Rifle

Have you considered going to a rifle range? Try it, watch the shooters, ask questions, heck you might even get a kind soul to let you take a poke or two with his pet "deer rifle".

As for calibers, use what you can shoot most accurately with. Most all the guys I grew up with in NE Michigan went to the woods with a 30-30 or 32 spcl. Later in life we found another action to suit our fancies. Plenty of semis', pumps, levers and a lot of bolt rifles in use still.

As for "I would not hunt in Michigan with a bolt action". I am curious as to why Jack O'Conner.

Saturday I walked into a pawnshop and found a "like new", (one box fire through it) Remington 700, 3006, matte finish, synthetic stock 24" barrel, I traded my bassfishing rods and reels for it..(5)....
So you always want to check local pawnshops for super deals...I have beennlooking for a nice clean 3006 for awhile and the fishing gear I could no longer enjoy because of injury.....
I adjusted trigger, freefloated barrel, and mounted bases rings and scope. Ready to go deer hunting on the cheap...The pawnshop had a price of 375.00 which I thought was right in my budget for a decent used rifle.....

find a cartridge you shoot well and match it to the action you like. a 30/30 or a 243 would be a good place to start and you can pick anything from a single shot,lever, bolt, semi auto etc. whatever you can afford and floats your boat.

Go someplace with lots of rifles, fondle, hold, feel, mount to your shoulder etc. as many as you can without regard to brand or chambering. At some point you will find yourself coming back to one of them because it just feels "right" it speaks to you. Then you have your platform picked out, begin to thin down the chambering list, long action, short action, magnum etc. Personally for your type of shooting it would be hard to beat a 7-08. Put a decent quality scope on it, (you can get a lower end Leupold for $220 (VX-1 in 2-7) and dare any deer in micigan to walk out in front of you. You may find yourself liking the shorter lighter carbines such as the Rem Model 7, or Classic Featherweight mdl 70, or Ruger Compact, which are great matches for the 7-08, .308, .243, .260 family of cartridges. After all the flavors are chosen haunt the pawn shops to find one in good condition and go forth to the practice range.

Go someplace with lots of rifles, fondle, hold, feel, mount to your shoulder etc. as many as you can without regard to brand or chambering. At some point you will find yourself coming back to one of them because it just feels "right" it speaks to you. Then you have your platform picked out, begin to thin down the chambering list, long action, short action, magnum etc. Personally for your type of shooting it would be hard to beat a 7-08. Put a decent quality scope on it, (you can get a lower end Leupold for $220 (VX-1 in 2-7) and dare any deer in Michigan to walk out in front of you. You may find yourself liking the shorter lighter carbines such as the Rem Model 7, or Classic Featherweight mdl 70, or Ruger Compact, which are great matches for the 7-08, .308, .243, .260 family of cartridges. After all the flavors are chosen haunt the pawn shops to find one in good condition and go forth to the practice range.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, there's no one "PERFECT" first deer rifle, but many. If there were one "best" rifle, no others would still be made.

There's no "Holy Grail" cartridge, but several that may do job very well for certain conditions. Still, it's hard to beat old favorites that may cover many different hunting conditions. Think of a condition that you may find yourself with a scoped bolt-action rifle and you may not find a better all-around cartridge than a .30-06. That was my first and it performs very well in various circumstances and for several types of game from crows, woodchucks, coyotes, grouse (head shots), to deer, bear, moose, elk, etc.

There may be better cartridges for special circumstances, and there's the .308 for short-action aficionados; .260 Rem or 7mm-08 for the recoil sensitive, and the venerable .270 Win and cartridges with similar, or better ballistics. They all have their followers who may tout their cartridges, but the .30-06 is the ONE that most hunting cartridges to which all are compared.

Reduced recoil rounds are available for several cartridges and if you decide, after shooting at game that the cartridge you chose has too much recoil, consider going to them, at least for practice.

IMO you need to approach this from the other direction. Take $200 and buy yourself a Leupold VX-1 scope. Now go take the remaining $300 and find a good rifle to go under it. I would rather have a Savage Axis with a Leupold than a Remington 700 with a Wally World special on top.

Cheap scopes turn good rifles into bad rifles. Many a 'bad' rifle was turned into a good rifle by removing a $40 Simmons/Tasco/Bushnell and replacing it with a mechanically sound optic. Scopes are one of the places where you truly only get what you pay for.

Cheap scopes turn good rifles into bad rifles.
I tend to agree... But then again, I have a $60-70 Chinese copy of a Simmons on my Ruger M77 MKII in .270 win and it'll put bullets on top of each other @ 100 yards. Not something I was expecting. I walked out of the store with a brand new M77, sling, 3-9x-40 scope, 3 boxes of ammo, a bore snake and a bottle of hopes #9 for $650. Walked out of the store thinking I'd be lucky to be getting 2'' groups, and ended up averaging roughly 1.3 MOA with factory ammo.

This one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=410617250

or this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=411904739

.243 win, .260 rem, and 7mm-08 are probably the the best all-purpose deer/sheep/goat/antelope dedicated chamberings, though there are many other fine ones as well. 7mm-08 or .260 rem if you're including desert mulies and Saskatchewan bruiser 300-lb whitetails -- or .243 win if you're not.

And the TC Venture is the best value in the sub-$500 (new) turnbolt category, I do believe. High quality for not much moula. I believe better than the Howa/Vanguard by a statistically-significant margin. Also better than a comparably-priced Savage by a material margin, and certainly a bit better looking (to me). Bomb-proof bolt, 5R rifling, nice trigger, nice aesthetics, and scope mounts included - hard to beat.

But if running used, then that opens up some Tikka T3s @ $500.

Last edited:
For not alot of cheddar one can get a Moison Nagant M-44 rifle in 7.62x54mmR cartridge.

Plenty of power for deer but would be cheap. Also nice and short.

The M44 isn't a bad rifle but it's not a great starter rifle IMO. The 7.62x54R is a fine cartridge but for the price of a excellent condition Mosin carbine, you can often get a brand new rifle, with warrantee, which will outshoot just about any Mosin Nagant and also lighter weight factory guns are available, which is why most people aren't suggesting Mosin Nagant's

They're good rifles, completely capable of hunting deer, but IMO they're not the best choice.
Also a Ruger American is only 2'' longer than a M44 and that's because it has a barrel which is about 2'' longer. If someone were to opt for the 'compact' version, it's a few inches shorter than a M44. They're only a couple bucks more than a M44 nagant, most of which I see are selling upwards of $200. That is no longer cheap for a Nagant IMO.

H&R Buffalo Classic (.45-70) or H&R 12-gauge "Ultra Slug". The .45-70 is easy to handload for and the cases last a long time since they are straight walled. You can tailor your loads for small white tails or even elk or moose.

Back