Best shotgun for shooting clays

Clays Shotgun

I agree that fit is one of the most important aspects of shooting a shotgun. I'm more of a skeet shooter but occasional trap shooter and I pretty much exclusively shoot a Browning 425. I use my skeet loads of 1oz and a light mod choke and pretty consistently shoot 22s to straights on trap. I like to get on them quick.

Beretta's don't fit me well at all, my Browning is great for me.

For me, my O/U is so much quicker in any follow up shot than an auto, when I do shoot an auto, the gun ejecting the shell and loading a new one is almost a distraction. It seems like it's almost in slow motion.

I think once you get used to shooting your 525, you'll enjoy it. Have someone experienced check out the fit for you and if worse comes to worse, I'll trade you my 870 for it. :)

and in regard for the gas guns, does the winchester sx3 shoot both heavy and light loads? (this is the only gas gun I'm really interested in right now).
I have shot hundreds of 7/8 oz loads with zero problems what so ever. My SX3 has cycled every light load I have ran through it. In 6000 rounds I have had 5 failure to feeds and it was due to very dusty conditions during a sporting clays tournament. A little Rem Oil fixed that problem until I got home and gave it a good cleaning.

My son shoots a Super Sport. It and the Cordoba are the same gun. Its been very reliable and he regularly shoots my 7/8 1200 FPS reloads without a problem.

I see more Beretta 391's in competition than any other autoloader. Second would be Remingtons with everything else a distant third.

Advice

Tremendous amount of advice here. All of it good.

Fishblade: The attraction of the trick shooting of Tom Knapp and Pat Flanigan - Seeing multiple hand thrown clays shot out of the air - is infectious - looks like a great deal of fun.
Have you seen one of these shows in person? I ask because the many fun videos that are available on the Internet can be misleading in a sense. The videos distort the most difficult part of that type of shooting - throwing the clays. You get a sense that the clays have been thrown quite high. Not at all. Very hard to throw 10-12 clays very far. The throwing requires as much practice as shooting and still you are not talking about many yards worth of range. That is why an open choke - skeet or Cylinder - is advisable.
The second quite difficult part of the act is mounting the gun - and you can be sure that the guns used have been fitted so that they shoot exactly where Knapp and Flanigan are looking. They do not have a lot of tiime to get the gun up and shoot. If they throw the clays 50 feet (the height of a five story building), at 32ft^sec^sec, there is not much time to shoot - about two seconds. You can also be sure that those men have spent many, many hours practicing and have shot many thousands of shells.
Pete

I have an old Winchester model 120 12guage with a Deer Slug barrel. I guess that means wide open with no choke. I was shooting the round clay disc today and was very successful. My sister who is in from Arizona, never has fired a shotgun..and man O'l man..she was bang on after missing the first 3 clays. After missing the first 3, she hardly missed any after that...in fact, she followed up with a few quick pumps for a second shot after missing with the first :eek: I felt like I was watching John Wayne in action :eek:

Some people I guess, can pick up quick with this....needless to say..she could operate it if she had to in a pinch I guess ;)

We fired over 400 rounds without a any glitches today...seems the O'l Winchester is still going strong 25yrs later.

It's doesn't take a High dollar gun to have fun shooting sporting clays and being successful doing it...my sister is proof of that :mad:

Enjoy :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of good information in here, i know it's an older thread, but i think it's still valid today.
Having just broken my Remington SPR310, i'm looking at other alternatives as i can't find how to fix it.

I'm still partial to the O/U, but mostly due to their uniqueness these days. However, i love shooting back yard pigeons and the occasional charity clays event with it.

Definitely looking into the CZ (yes i'm cheap and i know i'm currently likely paying for that with the SPR)

Then look for a good used Browning or Beretta (whichever one fits you the best) - heads and shoulders above the CZ and should be close enough in price to justify

Then you haven't looked too hard - start with your current gun club with a WTB poster, watch local ads, look for the used guns at pawn shop, big box stores like Cabela's, etc..................

Yeah, just never done it before, don't really know what i'm looking for, regarding the wear etc for a second hand firearm.

Any suggestions for the type/model i should get for <$900?

That's quite nice looking, interesting, thanks. Wondering how buying that sort of thing over the web works out...

I shoot and like both, but I have a LOT more trigger time with my O/U so my scores tend to be a little better using that (not that my scores couldn't use ANY help to get them a lot higher!:D)

I just like DB's, i'm an amateur occasional shooter, so the fun is with the reloading as well as the shooting :)

Love playing with my friends pump and semi's, but if i have to own one, it's the DB.

To ME, DB means David Brown

droppedImage.jpg

droppedImage_3.jpg

droppedImage_4.jpg

Since your profile mentions England.......well, OK, he is from Scotland........close enough

That's quite nice looking, interesting, thanks. Wondering how buying that sort of thing over the web works out...

Easy enough - find gun you want from a reputable seller; send him funds in the manner he wants along with a copy of your FFL's license; seller sends gun to your FFL; you go and he does the background check, pay him his fee, you go home with gun

Heh, yeah, double barrel :)

I was thinking more along the lines of how i check to make sure it's all ok, but the info on the FFL is good, i'd forgotten about that.

Back