Best self defense ammo in these calibers?

Choices....

In short here's what I would buy(based on what is available or what I can afford);

9mm(9x19mm); Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P, DPX, Ranger T T Series bonded 124gr +P, Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP, Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP, MagSafe SWAT, Federal HST 124gr +P
.38spl +P; Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P JHP, DPX, Buffalo Bore 158gr L-SWC HP +P, Glaser Safety Slug Silver, MagSafe SWAT, Winchester Ranger T
.40S&W; Hornady Critical Duty, Speer Gold Dot 165gr, DPX, Ranger T T Series, Federal HST
.45acp; Hornady Critical Duty 220gr +P, Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP +P, Ranger T 230gr JHP +P, Federal 230gr HST +P, MagSafe SWAT, DPX

In general, the Corbon DPX & Hornady Critical Duty line are great for defense or armed professionals.

Clyde
www.shopcorbon.com www.sgammo.com www.cabelas.com www.midwayusa.com www.policehq.com

Fastbolt had it right on. From all the presentations and analyses I've seen or heard - modern quality SD ammo in all the calibers mentioned have very little difference in efficiency as compared to effect of obtaining a good hit. Also, obtaining such is based on skill, training and practice.

I've noticed in classes, the men want to talk about guns and ammo and the instructor usually has to shut them up to talk about skill issues.

Best self defense ammo is a relative term. As has been mentioned, handgun calibers aren't great stoppers, no matter what you load them with. When you start comparing the different brands, loadings, etc, the differences between them are pretty marginal. There is no such thing as a magic bullet. A popular thing to do on Internet forums is to nitpick loadings. (147gr 9mm is a great round! No it's not, it sucks and fails the FBI test, load 124gr! 124gr is a compromise round, velocity is key! Load the 115gr! Etc...)

As long as we're talking ammo only (and I'd say there are more important considerations out there than ammo) here's what my general recommendation is for any self defense load.

1. Quality, JHP, factory manufactured (as opposed to reloaded by you or a factory), made by a well known/trusted manufacturer.
2. A round/loading that runs through your gun with no issues. (Run a couple boxes "at least" before using it as your defensive ammo)

That's it. For me, if it meets those two requirements, it is a good enough round for me to carry. The differences in stopping power between calibers is small (though, typically, bigger more powerful calibers will have greater stopping power, regardless of loading). The differences between loadings within calibers is almost non-existent, as long as the two rules above are followed.

Having said that, I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my G19, and Speer Gold Dot 230gr in my G21 "nightstand" gun. Having said that, however, I'd be perfectly fine with other loadings in either, as long they met the 2 requirements above.

Back