Best scope for a .22 and trigger adjustment?

syonyc

Inactive
Hey guys,

I got my Marlin model 60 with a cheap tasco scope ($7 at walmart) but I will like to improve the scope no more than $100. but also not a scope that will be waste putting it on a 22.

If anyone knows if is possible to improve the Trigger on a Marlin Model 60.

Thanks

BSA Sweets variety adjustable's sold at AirGunDepot.

I have a BSA Contender Class 3-12x40 {$140 @ AirGunDepot --- free shipping over $179}, mounted on my Yonkers, NY, Kimber 22 Classic.

Downside --- Parallax is set at 100 yards

My favorite rimfire scopes are the Weaver 2.5-7x and 3-9x AO. Their 4x is a great rimfire scope also and costs much less. They are a practical size for a regular 22 rifle, but exceed your budget. The Simmons line is the less expensive line made by the same company and if I wanted something less expensive, that is what I would chooose. The 3-9x AO runs about $65. Be sure to choose a rimfire scope versus a regular scope for a centerfire.

In the past, my standard rimfire set up was a fixed 4x rimfire scope in part because I felt that if I couldn's see it well enough to shoot at that power, it was probably beyond rimfire ranges. They also looked good on a rimfire rifle. But I have since changed and go all the way up to about 14x. Price still matters and the 4x tends to be very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I prefer a good scope for hunting squirrels, however a decent 2-7 is very nice when plinking. I have used/tried several differentbrands, so far a fried 4x in an old Redfield tracker sits on my 77/22 dedicated to reducing the tree rat population, and a well used 2-7 Leupold (before my wife confiscated it for her .243) was my favorite variable. Keep an eye out at pawn shops for a decent used scope, sometimes can be had well worth the money.

What do you guys think of BSA Sweet .22 3-9x40mm?

is around 50 bucks.. anything better than that in my price range? 100 max

Might want to keep shopping !!

What do you guys think of BSA Sweet .22 3-9x40mm?
I have been bit too many times by BSA scopes so personally I do not buy new ones. If you want to go this "frugal" route, let me suggest a Center-Point, from Walmart. These are currently going for $59.00 and come with many standard added features. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

No personal experience with BSA, but I have read enough to know I wouldn't spend my money for one. I would rather have a Tasco.

Get a simmons .22 mag 3-9x40 AO. Great scope for the money. I have 2 and both are plenty for conventional target shooting or hunting. My only complaint is the AO settings arent always accurate. I just adjust until clear and shoot! I think i paid 70$ for mine.

I have had good luck with BSA, I also like Hawke's rimfire scope for the money. I have two of them, one on my 795(Marlin 60 with a mag feed instead of tube feed) and another on my 35 year old "old faithful" Winchester 190

Marlin 795 with DIP trigger guard, KAT trigger, Boyd rimfire hunter nutmeg stock and Hawke 3x9-40 rimfire with BDC and lite recticle

1421976819.jpg

You didn't say exactly what you use the gun for, but a Marlin 60 isn't a target rifle, so I'm guessing plinking and/or small game hunting.

I often see suggestions 40mm scopes, and while many people may like them, I feel like those are a bit bulky for lightweight .22 rifle unless varmint shooting or serious target shooting are in order. I like sticking to a 32 or 35mm objective. I also find the 2-7x range to be more practical for my purposes than a 3-9x or 4-12x as I have more use for 2x on the low end than 9x or 12x on the high end. I like the simplicity of a fixed 4x, but on one occasion, I missed some racoons because the field of view was too narrow for me to find them in the dark as they ran off. If I'd had a variable scope set at 2x, I am confident I could have stayed on them.

The AO scopes can be nice, but they also tend to have more bulk than regular scopes. I had a Burris 4.5-14 AO scope on one of my 10/22s, and I swapped it out for a smaller, simpler Burris Droptine 2-7x35 instead, and I have never regretted the switch.

I don't like to recommend people go over their budget (I myself don't have a lot of extra money to throw away), but I think you'll find that you'll get into another level of quality when you get up around $130-$150. Burris, Vortex, Weaver, Nikon, Leupold, and probably some I'm forgetting all have models in this ballpark. Not only will you see an improvement in optical quality (brightness and clarity are often more useful than higher magnification), but these are generally built as tough as centerfire models and simply have a different parallax setting. It often ends up being cheaper buying the scope you really want once than to settle for something less and then buy the better scope later on anyway.

If you really prefer staying below $100, I've liked several Simmons scopes that I've had.

Last edited:
Idek, I agree. I tend to shoot 22's mostly in the 15 to 35 yd range with plinking being the dominant use and I seldom mess with the AO feature except punching paper.

The Simmons ".22 Mag" scopes are the best cheapos for a .22, IMO. The examples I have used are very clear and have always held zero. The rings that come with them are not great, however. I have a cheap-o UTG/Leapers all in one mount on my 795 and it works fantastic and was ~$15 if I remember right.

My little 795 is a true nail driver and it will often shoot the primer out of a 12-gauge shell at 50yards rested. That $35 Simmons 3-9x32 doesn't hold it back at all.

BSE = Been Suckered Again. You can do better.

I've been hearing good things about Hawke airgun scopes used on rimfires. An airgun puts lots more jolt on a scope than a rimfire ever will so they should hold up well.

BSA

BSA optics are trash. Pick up a straight 4x Simmons,weaver it will be plenty of
power for a m-60 Marlin. I have 4x on 10/22 , 77/22 and a Savage 24. I hunt
squirrels with these guns and they will do head shots at 40yds easy. The cheap
variables aren't worth having and good ones cost a lot. I have buddies that have
1" tube Tasco 4x scopes for years, no problems, on 22s for squirrels. The more
gadgetry on scope the more to go wrong.

1) MCARBO trigger kit (great! best $35 you'll spend on the rifle)
2) DIP trigger, guard, & bolts (nice but mostly luxury stuff)
3) Cabela's caliber specific scope for the .22 ($75 to $100 on sale, 3x9, write nice for the money if getting it on sale)

Back