Best rimfire ammo?

gaseousclay said:
I picked up a 200 pk of Blazer .22 ammo the other day, only because it's made by CCI and CCI ammo was unavailable at my LGS. My question is, which company makes the most reliable .22 ammo? I've read that CCI is consistently good but beyond that i'm not sure who else falls into the reliable category? I'm not sure why but i've tried steering clear of brands like Winchester and Remington, even though those are the most plentiful. At this point I don't think I can be too picky, especially if only certain brands present themselves at the store. I'd like to buy some bulk .22 ammo if I can.

As a practical matter, that's going to be most of your answer. Reliability has a lot to do with firing pin shape and the force with which it strikes. I will recount my experience over a few decades, but it comes with a caveat.

Remington - people look at me like I have two heads when I say it, but I've had rifles that shoot pretty accurately with Thunderbolt, Cyclone (a hollowpoint) and Subsonic.

CCI - Though it gives me mediocre accuracy, it's the easiest to get to light off when struck. I believe it has a wider rim than some others; I once put together a pistol that would feed anything but CCI from the magazine.

Aguila - I've been very happy with the tens of thousands of rounds I bought several years ago.

Federal - I found it reliable but providing generally unimpressive accuracy, until I found a barrel that does like. Now I'm impressed even with the bulk boxes of Automatch I've picked up recently.

Winchester - In the 1990s, Dynapoints were a great round. They had a very dry wax lubricant, good velocity and were well regarded by casual CZ shooters. Since then, I've never shot a Winchester 22lr round I liked. I had a bunch of Marksman in the bulk box that didn't work well with my Marlin, and more recently 45gr M22 that was too large to chamber in a 10/22 with a Bentz chamber.

Eley and RWS - For the price, it had better light every time.

Caveat - As with any of the reviews you will read, if they date from before the current drought, you may not be able to buy comparable new product. Specifically, I've read people getting CCI and Aguila, what I would regard as very safe purchases, and getting far poorer results than their own prior history would forecast.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I should've clarified. When I asked about reliability I meant ammo that's less likely to have misfires/duds. Didn't even think about the accuracy issue -- think i'll just have to try different brands to see what works.

22 rimfire ammo made before 1980 holds all the USA bullseye target records. Primer formula was changed then by all makes. Accuracy and barrel life suffered.

The only way to be certain is to do your own testing but that would negate the question. My experience has had CCI and Aguila as both accurate and reliable. I shoot 10-22's and bolt actions, mostly pistols. However, just as the previous drought was ending, I bought some bulk Remington and Winchester and had no particular problems.
Current production will probably change the situation, but I'd stick with CCI and Aguila, if I were buying right now.
Stay safe.

You did good with the CCI Blazer. I've found it to be one of the most accurate rounds out of my guns. Mini Mags also work great. I like the high velocity ammo when I shoot competition.

I have had 3 case separations using Aguila 40 grain Super Extra so I will not be putting any more of it through my guns.

Federal Champion also work well in my guns.

Buy direct from CCI or Federal and shipping is free if you buy over $100.

I can't recall if it is mini-mags or Stingers but I've heard it said that they can't be shot out of "match" chambers. Something to do with the brass being a tiny bit longer.

Rob228 said:
I can't recall if it is mini-mags or Stingers but I've heard it said that they can't be shot out of "match" chambers. Something to do with the brass being a tiny bit longer.
Now that you mention it ... I believe that's the Stingers.

Yup, Stingers.
I have some Velocitors, supposedly +200 fps over MiniMags.

I caught Mini Mag hollowpoints in stock at a distributor, gritted my teeth, and ordered a case. I will get another if a colleague wants to split.

If you only want MOC rimfire ammo, then buy American made. If you want ammo that a 5 shot group is covered by a dime @ 50 yrds, then buy something made by Lapua, SK, RWS or Eley.

Bill

Guns are individuals. Some ammo is produced with more precision. The ammo your gun shots the best, is the best. Try some and see what it likes. Mine prefers sk rifle, sk standard plus, and cci standard velocity. It shoots most bulk ammo reasably well too, good enough to head shot a squirrel with at 50yds anyway.

6-EFE64-DA-C481-478-F-A4-B4-691528-EBC111.jpg

Recent purchases

Well I just got a great deal on Aguila high velocity, been using it in a Ruger MKIII 22/45 and it feels like the rounds are really sticky, to the point where they are binding up in the magazine (never had this issue with Winchester or Thunderbolt).

Looks like it may be somewhat of a common issue, some people on other forums are recommending a drop or two of oil on the top round in the magazine. Will be trying it out this week -been getting 2-3 failures to feed out of every magazine since I started with this ammo-

I have a S&W M&P 22 compact. It definitely does not like any kind of Federal 22LR. I prefer CCI Mini Mags when I can find them for a good price. I have never had any problems with Remington Thunderbolt 40 grain in the 500 round box. In fact I just ordered 3 boxes at 8 cents a round a couple of days ago.

I have had good luck with the Federal 550 pk for plinking. I'm shooting some that I picked up in 2006. shot about 75 rounds yesterday no problems. For my wife's carrry she uses the CCI Stingers. In my NAA mini revolver I sometimes carry for backup I put stingers in that too.

v-fib

"I have not had any reliability issues with any of the ammo brands that I mentioned. One of my rifles blew up a few cases due to an out of spec barrel (Christensen fixed that, no cost to me) but haven't really haven't had any reliability issues with any of the brands that I mentioned. I think there was a brick of Winchester at some point too, also with no issues.
Rob228 "

Exactly, match ammo is made to a better over all standard in most ( all?) regards.

Over the years I have accumulated 7 brands of .22 Long Rifle cartridges in my inventory. One day I put aside all interest in large rifle and handgun shooting, and decided to see which of these performed best in my Anschutz target rifle compared to my very first rifle, a Winchester Model 69A, which is now 65 years old. All were fired with 5 rounds each from a bench rest at 50 yards with a 4-power scope. In order of group size accuracy:

Winchester Model 69A

1. CCI Mag (0.839")
2. Winchester Super-X (1.026")
3. Federal Lightning (1.026")
4. Federal Champion (1.526")
5. Remington Thunderbolt (1.526")
6. Eley Standard (1.151")
7. Remington .22 Standard (2.026")

Anshutz Target

1. Eley Standard (0.370")
2. Winchester Super-X (0.370")
3. Federal Lightning (0.370")
4. Federal Champion (0.589")
5. CCI Mag (0.714")
6. Remington Thunderbolt (0.714")
7. Remington .22 Standard (1.15")

So, as stated above, it depends on what your rifle likes.....

Test groups should be at least 25 shots to be statistically significant

Before 1980, the most accurate 22 rimfire ammo tested well under a quarter inch at 50 yards. Virtually all records set before then still stand

An explosion at the Lapua plant in Helsinki, Finland was caused by over sensitive primer mix. The industry asked Eley to come up with a safer primer formula that all companies used. The solution had more abrasive frit that was less accurate, more safe and wore out barrels faster.

Back