Best Revolver....

For me the S&W 686 with the 3" barrel. I believe it was custom work done for the FBI. Correct me if my memory is faulty.

1. But if we're talking plain factory I love the Colt Pythons 4" and in 2 1/2" before they discontinued them.

2. Ruger SP-101 .357 Mag

3. S&W Mountain Gun .44 Mag

4. S&W 686

Due to the versatility of the .38 Special/.357 Magnum combo, my top pick would be the S&W Model 27. But I could just as happily choose Models 681 or 686, or, for that matter, Models 65 or 66.

Of course, there could be any number of different but equally correct answers to the question. :)

I've always liked my RG-Swingout

Seriously, though, back in the late-80s when I seriously carried revolvers (I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this question nowadays), I opted for a S&W K-frame in .357 mag. Size, trigger-quality, and power seemed optimized. It was either that or get a much heavier (though much sturdier) Ruger with no as good a trigger. (In my experience the Colts, even the Pythons, were too expensive and too delicate.) As much as I would have loved a Model 58 (no thanks to L.Neil Smith for this particular unsatisfied craving), the .357 seemed to be a better manstopper, and that was why I was carrying the revolver. (I guess if I were planning on mostly hunting, I'd have a different answer to this question.)

When the L frames came out, though, things got more complicated. Same great trigger, big enough to handle magnums all the time. But then Ruger was coming out with the EVEN STRONGER GP-100.

Then it was the SP-101 and the 640 in .357 mag. on the other end of the size spectrum.

Now I'm just getting confused. I CARRY a Glock 33 in the .357 Sig caliber. I still would like a .357 mag. revolver (sold my K-frame for cheap to a good friend long ago), but I think I wouldn't really want it for carry so much. There are just so many nice ones. I'm thinking of a 6" full-underlug GP-100. Or a 2 3/4" Speed Six. And I still try to convince my friend to sell me his S&W Model 58 at least once a week!

Best Revolver...
Any Performance Center N-frame S&W
Any "regular", pinned-and-recessed N-frame S&W
Pre-Agreement L-frame S&W
Pinned-and-recessed K-frame S&W
Colt Python
Colt Diamondback
Ruger Redhawk
Ruger GP-100
Any Pre-Agreement J-frame S&W
Ruger Security Six/Speed Six
Colt New Service
Colt King Cobra
Colt Detective Special
Ruger SP101
...and the rest are also-rans....mikey357

[Edited by mikey357 on 02-27-2001 at 10:35 PM]

THE BEST REVOLVER (QUALITY AND CALIBER)-S&W TRIPLE LOCK .44 SPECIAL.

THE BEST ALL AROUND(IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE GUN)-S&W 686. FINISH (STAINLESS) IS LOW MAINTENCE AND FORGIVING. THE CALIBER .38/.357MAG CAN BE USED FOR PLICKING, VARMIT SHOOTING, FILLING THE POT, AND SELF DEFENSE. MY MODEL 63 22LR CAN DO ALL OF THIS EXCEPT THE DEFENSE.

IF I COULD OWN ONLY TWO GUNS THEY WOULD BE A S&W 629(44 SP/MAG) AND A 63(22LR).

GREG

The best Revolver is the one that is on you and goes "Bang!" at your hour of need.

I'd like to see someone argue with that statement!

A cheap revolver in your hand at the time you are being mugged is better than a Smith or Python in the safe...

Oh, but the best revolver is a Ruger SP101, because I own one...

:-)

Albert

Back