Best powder for soft shooting 230gr .45acp from a 5 inch barrel?

"The W231 printed horribly at about 3-5 inches at 25 yards and the WST printed a stellar 1-2 inches. The patterns were vastly different, with the W231 throwing wild flyers that opened up the groups. The WST on the other hand was very consistent with tight groups. "

That's why we reload and try'em out for each gun. Sounds to me like you found the one to keep. Going to have to try it myself.

I recently switched over to the 4.5 grain WST load under a 200 gr. H & G #68 clone. Can’t believe I used up a whole pound already. Good old boring Bullseye does about the same for me. Soft shooting and accurate as all get out.

How were your loads using WST powder. I used 231 for years and it was great. I now am using WST and a 200gr. cast swc in my 1911s with great results. I would like to hear about your reults using WST and 230gr bullets.
I use 4.2 gr. WST and a 230 gr. RN Lyman cast or Acme RN 230 gr. Both powder coated. Best accuracy consistently for me. Can’t say I turn up my nose at good old Bullseye either though. Will save my 231 for my 9mm loads.

Would have no idea what is "best". Really like 5.5 gns unique under 230 lrn. Has been very accurate in the pistols used in. Have never found a very clean load using lead bullets.

Im trying a new powder this time called Shooters World Ultimate Pistol. Some of the local guys like it, but this will be my first try.

Holy Necro-post. Post 22 was in Oct 2001, and post 23 was a day or so ago, July 2024.

Twenty-three year thread resurrection--that has to be a record!

I was casting the lee 230 truncated bullets and using their alox as lube years ago. I could get standard deviations below 10fps with average velocities around 770fps with CLAYs. NOT UNIVERSAL CLAYS!!!! Clays is faster than Universal which is a tad slower than 231. Generally speaking however I prefer 231 with full power jacketed ammo in 45. I prefer to keep 231 on tap for loads in 38 special, 357 light 32 magnum and similar applications where slower powders like Unique or Blue Dot are not needed. 231 is one of the most versatile pistol powders but not the best for what you want to do.

The powders I know of.

I haven't tried many powders for my .45 but here is a print of my .45-230 LRN using 5gr Bullseye and shot at 25 yards from a bench. OAL makes a difference from my tests. I've heard of Reloaders using 4gr BE for light loads. This week I acquired WST and found from online research that it has a large following for .45 target loads. And so, I plan to test .45-200 LSWC with it soon. I posted a query about WST on TheHighRoad.org so you can read about that there and see photos of their groups. The other powder I'm using is AA5. It was designed for the .45. I just I haven't tested it in my .45 yet.

Attachments

• WP_20181214_07_32_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20181214_07_32_08_Pro.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 29
I shoot mostly plated 200g HPs in .45 ACP.

I prefer N320 overall. But I won't be bothered a bit by W231 or WST. I doubt most will be able to tell the difference. I am finishing off the jug of N320 this morning, so I might use some Clays or E3 next. Only have a pound of W231 left.

N320 is just cleaner. N340, N350, WSF, AA5, and many others are too slow and end up too dirty for me.

Necro post, but sometimes it is good to revisit. 23 years ago, I would have said WST. :)

23 years ago I was enamored with Clays for my put-put loads and AA5 for my screaming death ray loads.

I wonder why noobs feel the need to respond to such old threads?

My favorites for use in NRA Bullseye Target Shooting :
All with a cast 200 gr. SWC bullet

700X - 4.0 grs @ 824 fps
Bullseye - 4.5 grs. @ 830 fps
TiteGroup - 4.0 grs @ 860 fps
W231 / HP38 - 4.5 grs. @ 808 fps

Different guns prefered different loads , slightly but enough to add a point or two to my scores but for accuracy 700X and Bullseye are never a bad choice .
Gary

Back