Best Powder for 9mm?

I use AA#2 almost exclusively nowadays, but I have used Accurate #7, Bullseye, Unique, HS-6 and CFE Pistol to good effect. With a 124gr powdercoated cast bullet, 4 grains of #2 works beautifully, and in times of short supply, getting more out of a pound is a good thing.
Edit to add, my data was older and may not be the best for you at this time. However, it works absolutely perfectly for me in many different pistols, you mileage may vary, data provided for academic purposes only, batteries not included, wash before using, do not use in the shower, flying monkeys not included, lather, rinse and repeat, and above all, seek professional, competent medical advice.

Last edited:
With a 124gr powdercoated cast bullet, 4 grains of #2 works beautifully, and in times of short supply, getting more out of a pound is a good thing.

Western Powder's data has 3.8 at max. Might need that disclaimer on the post.

Regarding the carbine question, pistol powders all burn fast enough that you will find the powder that gives the most velocity in the 5" barrel will also give you the most velocity in a 16" barrel.

Clays, Clay Dot, Unique, Universal, Power Pistol, Green Dot, Titegroup, Bullseye, 231 have all worked for me

I startedoading 9mm during one of the component 'droughts'. All I could get was HP-38 and SR-800X. I developed loads for 115 grain bullets using both and have had good luck with both.

Yes, I have seen that Blue Dot load. I have Blue Dot on hand but is 25+ old, and a little clumpy. It smells OK. Might try it.
But, the difference between 1238 and 1209 (Longshot) and 1199 (BE-86) is small, and Blue Dot is disk shaped.

Does anyone have any experience with Sport Pistol? It claims to play well with polymer coated lead bullets (which is what I use). I've been using power pistol and I've had issues with leading even with polymer coated bullets.

I have used Accurate No. 5 and 7, HS-6, W-231, Power Pistol, Unique, Ramshot True Blue and Zip, Hodgdon Titegroup and CFE-Pistol. I have an 8 lb keg of Alliant BE-86 en route, hoping it will be “The One”! All of them worked okay, but Zip didn’t always lock the slide back on lighter powder charges with 115 gr bullets. Titegroup does run noticeably hotter than other powders. So far, Power Pistol has given the best results for velocity and accuracy for both 115 and 124 gr bullets. If BE-86 can’t match it, I guess the only one left to try would be Ramshot Silhouette. But I really think BE-86 will be the winner, based on others findings.

W231. Very clean burning powder that doesn't leave any messes. Once I found it, I haven't used anything else.

--Wag--

My reloading experience with the 9 MM was in a S&W Model 39 in the 1980's. I started out using Bullseye. Like all Bullseye loads it was dirty but effective. Then I tried 231 and Unique. Both were better and cleaner.

The Model 39 disappeared with a bunch of other guns in a burglary so I have no other experiences to share. All my bullets were 130 grain Sierra FMJ's.

Just a friendly heads-up for anyone needing a good powder for 9mm (and others). Sportsman's Warehouse currently has a sale on 1 pound cans of BE-86 for $19.97. That's over half off their normal price.

Just a friendly heads-up for anyone needing a good powder for 9mm (and others). Sportsman's Warehouse currently has a sale on 1 pound cans of BE-86 for $19.97. That's over half off their normal price.

OOS :-(

Yeah someone cleaned out both of my local stores....the jerk :). They just lifted thier 1 container of powder per day limit, and also did away with the 2 sleeves per day limit on primers. Scored a brick of large pistol primers. Haven't seen LPP in a good long while.

I’m currently partial to CFE Pistol, mostly because it was available & I stocked up. I do believe my pistols clean up easier using it along with plated bullets compared to other powders I’ve used.

I have used CFE Pistol. I read some complaints that it leaves soot on cartridge cases (does not puff and seal as it should) and some recommend magnum primers for it. I am shopping for mag primers.

Any appropriate powder that MORE than 1/2 fills the case. Will assure no double charges!! Unique or Power Pistol are good and BE-86 too. My opinion is Blue Dot is only good for heavy shotgun loads and that’s all!

Back