Best Powder for 9mm?

MP-44

Specifically, to push a 124gr FMJ, Precision Delta bullet at 1100-1150 (5" barrel), and as accurate as possible at that velocity?

BE-86 ,for top velocities. It is sometimes called flash-suppressed Power Pistol. Speer Pistol data list BE-86 as fastest powder for many bullets and cartridges.
I use both. BE-86 delivers high velocities in 9mm, 40SW, and 45 ACP. My other Go To pistol powders Longshot, CFE-Pistol and Auto-Comp.

Those old school powders lose 100-200 fps versus modern performance powders. That may be fine for target shooting, but for "duty" hollow points I want that speed/power.
BE-86 gets 1199 fps with 124 gr GDHP Speer data.
Longshot will go 1209.

Last edited:
Either Power Pistol or Titegroup. PP will give a pretty substantial fireball and TG runs hot. But both give good velocity and accuracy IME. I only use TG with jacketed bullets and just use the PP in my .357. For plated bullets my faves are 700x and Clays.

Those old school powders lose 100-200 fps versus modern performance powders. That may be fine for target shooting, but for "duty" hollow points I want that speed/power.
BE-86 dets 1199 fps with 124 gr GDHP Speer data.
Longshot will go 1209.
True but he is running FMJs so doesnt have to worry about expansion

Thanks for all the info!

My son was heading to Bass Pro, So I asked him to pick up either BE-86 or Power Pistol. I will give the other suggestions try later on.

Any suggestions for a powder for the same bullet, but out of a 16" carbine, CZ Scorpion EVO?

So I asked him to pick up either BE-86 or Power Pistol.

You'll do fine with either one.

From my load workups, Power Pistol will push those 124's beyond 1200 f/s if you load 'em up the way it likes. But you can also turn down Power Pistol and it still performs well.

BE-86 - being a tick faster than Power Pistol - would be a better choice.

44 AMP's "old school" choices of W231 or Bullseye would also work. They would be operating at the top end of their wheelhouse, and that's a good thing. They would actually be my choice if I wanted to make 124's in the 1100 - 1150 f/s neighborhood. I've always operated on the "fastest powder appropriate for the application" theory. Pressure is good. That's where things run clean and consistent.

You can - or could - get too fast.
NRA reported that their first HK P7 would not function on reloads with Bullseye but was fine with Unique giving the same velocity. Their second sample was more flexible, though.

C.E. Harris wrote back then that European 9mm was typically loaded with a powder of a "burn rate" to call for a 5 to 7 grain charge.

Early Accurate Arms manuals had a footnote that European 9mms might not function well on below maximum loads of fast AA#2.

Me?
I have loaded the large majority of non-magnum pistol ammo with W231 or HP38 (now the same stuff.) Curiosity and cheap purchases have gotten me into other grades, most are ok if that is what you have or like.

The main thing I noticed about Power Pistol was its manly blast and flash. While my one can lasted, I was frequently asked "What have you got in that thing, anyhow?"

I have used a cast lead 124 grain TC bullet extensively - NOE 358-124-TC-GC (gas check ) in several 9mm Luger pistols ... at velocities of +/- 1150 fps , the following powders have all worked very well . During this day of shortage and not in stock , you need options .
The days of having only one powder are over ... you have to reload with whatever powder you can find ... my old favorites would disappear...that's OK , I found some new favorites !

Powder for the 9mm Luger - 124 gr. TC :
AA #2
700X
Bullseye
Red Dot
HP38 / W231
Unique
AA #5

I have had good results with each of the above powders ...
I have bought a stash of TiteGroup ... but have not tried it out yet ... I hear the burn rate is fast ... it may be a winner like Bullseye ... I don't know .
If you see TiteGroup , you may want to grab a bottle it may be just the ticket in the 9mm luger .
Gary

for 9mm I hve tested the following

Unique
Universal
HP-38/W231
AA7
Clays
Power Pistol
CFE Pistol

If I had to pick a powder it would be universal. It was one of the more accurate powders I have used, and it burned fairly cleanly, unlike many others.

Specifically for a 16in carbine.
Based on my experience loading for 44spl in a 20in henry, and a 9mm 16in Ruger PC carbine.

Short answer, Power pistol, or Unique (possibly BE-86). Other powders I tried, Especially CFE Pistol, acted weird in long barrels. Best guess is power pistol and unique produce more gas volume by weight and keep the pressure up in the longer barrels. But that's just a guess. But I tested all the powders I listed plus a few, and in a carbine Power Pistol and unique were the 2 stand out performers.

Last edited:
I use/have used Bullseye, Titegroup, 231/HP38, and AA #7.

Just depends on what bullet I’m using, desired velocity, and what I had on hand.

Back