Best new rifle under 800 dollars

The 6.5 Creed shoots similar bullet weights as 270 (which is 6.8mm) about 100-150 fps slower at the muzzle, but at around 200 yards or farther the better 6.5 bullets are faster than 270.

Not true, but nice try!

129 grain SST 6.5 CM vs. 130 grain SST .270 Win Hornady Superformance ammunition, .270 Win is nearly 200 fps faster at 500 yards.

129 grain IB 6.5 CM vs. 130 grain IB .270 Hornady Whitetail, .270 is over 100 fps faster at 500 yards.

Federal Premium 140 grain Nosler Accubond both in 6.5 CM and .270 Win, .270 still 100+ fps faster at 500.

6.5 Creedmoor is a great round, but it isn't going to give the average deer hunter much advantage over the .270 Win.

I would go with a Savage Axis 2 with the Accutrigger and tbe bit more for a wood stock. Upgrade the scope and rings. Spend the rest on a budget reloading set up, and reloading supplies.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is perhaps the most interesting cartridge to come about in recent history. But as Taylorce1 pointed out, it's not really equal to, or out performing, the 270 Winchester. Instead, it's ballistically most similar to the 260 Remington and the 6.5 x 55 Swede, while coming in a more compact cartridge, suitable to a wider range of action lengths. It might even fit in a Savage 99, if someone was so inclined.

Pathfinder45 said:
The 6.5 Creedmoor is perhaps the most interesting cartridge to come about in recent history. But as Taylorce1 pointed out, it's not really equal to, or out performing, the 270 Winchester.

Not exactly, I do believe the 6.5 Creedmoor outperforms the .270 Win. However, I don't believe it outperforms the .270 at deer hunter ranges. Some where downrange beyond the distance the majority of hunters shoot game at the 6.5 does beat the .270 Win or 7mm-08 Rem.

The 6.5 CM does have the advantage of less recoil but it isn't 30-35%, it is a lot less. However, is it significant? That really depends on the shooter as what someone can tolerate is different from what I can. I know some people buy into the hype, but you got to do your own research so the data isn't cherry picked before you can make any informed decisions.

The .270 Win with a 140 grain bullet at 3000 fps has 14% more recoil velocity, 26% more recoil energy, and 13% more recoil impulse vs. the CM shooting a 140 grain bullet at 2730 fps in a 7lb rifle. The 7mm-08 with a 140 grain bullet at 2950 fps in a 7lb rifle has 10% more recoil velocity, 16% more recoil energy, and 7% more recoil impulse than he CM. None of those numbers are significant enough to make me run out and by the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it isn't even the darling of the PRS anymore. It has lost favor to the 6mm Creedmoor in that discipline, for many of the same reasons people are recommending it here. The only reason I haven't bought a 6.5 or 6mm CM is it doesn't do anything for my purposes (hunting) that other rifles in my safe don't handle very well.

QUESTION, For those of you that have or have shot the 6.5, just how much less recoil is it from say the 308 or 7-08? or even the 270 for that matter?

I would choose the Weatherby in a standard caliber like 6.5 creed with the options listed. I wouldn't go full Weatherby magnum.

QUESTION, For those of you that have or have shot the 6.5, just how much less recoil is it from say the 308 or 7-08? or even the 270 for that matter?

I shot my buddies Ruger American Predator, and all I can tell you is it won't beat you to death. I didn't shoot anything else that day so I have nothing to compare it to. I can tell you it is more than the .243 but less than the .270, it sits somewhere solidly in the middle.

The Savage Model 12FV I own in 6.5 Creedmoor has very little recoil. I could aboot it all day without any problem.

Even in a lighter rifle it would be fun to sboot all day.

Thanks but I can't do Savage too many problems with my axis in 270 this deer season. It failed to carry a live round luckily I had Already hit the big doe in the lungs and click misfire as it was running down the hill. Next weekend a magazine Malfunctioning luckily brought my 3030 as a backup

Thanks but I can't do Savage too many problems with my axis in 270 this deer season. It failed to carry a live round luckily I had Already hit the big doe in the lungs and click misfire as it was running down the hill. Next weekend a magazine Malfunctioning luckily brought my 3030 as a backup

Not that I am a Savage fan by any means, but an Axis is the bargain model.

I think a model 10 would do better, & maybe my sour Savage incident is isolated.

Back