Best/Most Interesting Pawn Shop Find...

Bought a Mauser for $75 a few years ago because they had it labeled as a Mosin Nagant. Same pawn shop a year later got an absolutely beautiful Mosin Nagant 91/30 for $60 because they thought it was a pellet gun.

Only great pawnshop deal wasn't a firearm, but something else I had been looking for. A Forster case trimmer. They had no idea what it was, even after I told them. Had a pilot and a collet included. Sticker said $10. MidwayUSA carries the base model for just under $90. I said so, because I REALLY am stupid about not cheating people and the guy behind the counter shrugged and said, "You like it that much? OK, make it $5. "
Needless to say there is ONE pawn shop I do all my business with. They also do receives for $10. ;)

About 7 years ago one of my local pawn shops had a C series Hi Power come in, from the 1960's made in Belgium, 95% bluing. I held it, loved it, they asked $900. I thought it was too expensive, went home, slept on it, and they still had it a few days later. It came home with me for $800 and with a free extra mecgar mag.

Pawnshop finds

I'd have to say either my 340 Savage in 30-30 or my 1903 Springfield. I got them $100 each plus background check. The 340 is surprisingly accurate with any type of ammo I have tried.

I was in a pawn shop in Grand Junction, CO, and spotted a funky looking little bolt action carbine with a scope, a sling made from an old leather dress belt, and some wierd funnel looking thing on the barrel. Also looked like someone had sawed off part of the top wooden handguard. And it was FILTHY dirty! But marked cheap.

After wrinkling my nose a couple of times and looking past the funkiness, I realized I was holding a genuine October 1947 Fazakerly Enfield No.5 Mk.1 Rifle, AKA a Jungle Carbine, and under the grime it was actually all correct and unaltered, except three holes d&t'd for the scope mount. The rear sight was missing, and it needed a correct sling, but otherwise it was the real deal.

Priced at $150! It went home with me right then. Picked up a rear sight and sling for under $50, and she cleaned up very well!

Some of you guys sure do well at pawn shops. Best deal I ever got at pawn shop,years ago, was a new S&W Model 28 at "only" MSRP. Not what anybody would actually call a "deal". Last time I tried to do business with a pawn shop, owner wanted $140.00 to receive a pistol. I no longer go to pawn shops...

I read about guys getting terrific finds in pawn shops all the time, but honestly I have never seen a good deal at a pawn shop. When I check local pawn shops it seems like they really don't want to sell their guns other than shotguns. Now I have seen some great deals on used pawn shop shotguns.

I got my Benelli B77 in 32acp from a pawn shop, NIB for I think around $400.

7qcmWPch.jpg

Also my ASAI One Pro, a rare Swiss-made CZ clone in 45acp. Amazingly, they had two at the time.

NoAjX9Zh.jpg

Last edited:
About 8 years ago in a little Mom & Pop pawn shop a very nice Colt 1903 .32 for $225 and a pristine, never in a holster, round butt snubby S&W M12-1 for $200. Two scores in one! They really had no idea. I didn't even haggle; I was afraid they might look them up.

Rossi Model 720's have a sort of cult following. They are nice little 44 special five-shot revolvers that they only made for 2-3 years in the early 90's.

I paid around $400 for one and was amazed at what a good shooter it was.

A couple of years later I saw a hammerless version for sale on GB for $300 and realized it was at a nearby pawnshop.

I went there the next morning, offered $250 cash, and they immediately took my offer.

Apparently all that they knew was that a Rossi was an originally inexpensive foreign revolver.

Pawnshops are like treasure chests. The items you can find include computers, clothing, golf clubs, and furniture. Some stores even have books, jewelry, or sports equipment. You can also get things for free or for cheap if you have a lot of patience. Pawnshops are usually filled with used and rares but always have something new and exciting to sell. Every once in a while, an old coin or two will come up for sale worth a good bit of change. I bought some rare coins with a significant value on the market!. So I found in https://www.newbondstreetpawnbrokers.com/ some collectible coins at an excellent price.

Last edited:
I agree, FTurner. Pawnshop "finds" depend largely on the owner. As said earlier, the owner likes and hates can greatly effect price. Owner and staff knowledge, also. The innerweebs has greatly altered the lack of knowledge, for those taking the time to do the research.

I have come across some finds, though.
Picked up a Marlin 1894 .22Mag $125 because Marlin "no longer in business" and ammo is "impossible to find".
P
Same pawnshop, Savage 67E 12ga missing an action screw, so action wouldn't cycle $"4 Numrich item", $40 out the door, as a parts gun.

When son was in college, we spent 1 day a month visiting pawnshops. Would peruse the shop, eventually ending up at the displays with electronics and test equii. Any Fluke meters were our targets. Picked up lots of meters for $10-$35, after convincing the clerk the meters were defective. I took the meters to my shop to clean, repair, and calibrate. Son would take them to class and sell for $100 (30% of new cost), to his classmates. I sold many of them to electricians and refinery techs for 80% of new cost. Best find was a Fluke transmitter calibrator. A new model, that had been out less than a year, was hard to find and sold for $5000. I asked pawn clerk "if they had any meters?"
He said they had 1 that had come out of pawn, that morning. It was a Fluke of some kind. He couldn't get it "read voltage", so owner told him to mark it $50.

I was in a pawn shop a couple of days ago. I was pretty much laughing at the crazy high prices on mid level, at best, guns. They had a full sized Jericho 941 in nickel, decent shape, but he wanted $999 for it. I offered $500, and he got angry, "Don't be ridiculous!". I hope he gets stuck with it.

The best deal I can remember was a Dan Wesson revolver that looked like someone had kept uncased/unholstered in their toolkit. It was marked $150, but I think I could have talked the guy down to $100. There was nothing wrong with it functionally--it just looked like it had been dragged down a gravel road for a couple of hundred yards.

Probably should have bought it and sent it off to be redone in NP3 or chrome.

About 10 years ago I bought a Stevens late prewar double barrel shotgun at a pawn shop in Hillsboro, OR for 200 bucks. It was in like new condition and was very surprised when I found out how old it really was.

It has one of the first plastic stocks used on an American firearm. The only thing wrong with it was the stock screw was a little loose and even with a really long screwdriver, I couldn't get it tight but I could get it out. It was an odd size screw and I had to mail order an Alan head screw to replace it but after that, I was able to tighten it with the proper tools...

Tony

Back