Best mid-size to compact sized .40

I have a P97 they are great. I will put them up against any .45 out there. Go for it. I use it deer hunting in SE AR where I was brought up. It also serves as a winter carry option.

I have experience with the Sig P229 and the Glock 27 and both are great.

Bottom line is shoot hundreds, nay thousands of rounds from a good manufacturer like Sig and Glock, (which you should do anyways) and all your concerns will be answered.

Oh, and Tamara the P229 being "brick heavy" it just feels "reassuring" to me. Really, how much heavier is the P229 to call it a "brick"? I like the P228 more aesthetically but I rather like the fact Sig addresed "the rust problem". Stick some rounds into the P229 and it balances just fine. Try one out I don't think your old P228 would mind.

The G23 used to be my CCW. I carried it in a Sidearmor IWB holster and you hardly ever feel you are carrying. Yes I would say that the recoil is more pronounced than any other pistol I owned but for me it is something I think anybody can handle. It shoots to your POA and the I find the accuracy "very good".

I second the motion on the Ruger P-97. Great gun for the money, totally reliable, very accurate, and reasonably light for carry. If I have a complaint, it's the length of the double action pull.

Steyr

I have owned several Glocks, SIG's, 1911's, H&K's, Walterhs and the best handgun I have ever owned as far and ergonomics, accuracy, quality is my Steyr M-357. Mine has the upgraded trigger and has to be shot to be believed.

Steyr is coming out with a subcompact S-40 model that should be a keeper.

Glock 27. Or maybe the USP40C.

Personally, I have a USP40 full-size, and the G27 is the only other 40S&W caliber handgun I've got on my list. The other .40 platforms just don't light a fire like the 10mm or .45 does :)

- gabe

Ian11;

I admitted my prejudice was "irrational", didn't I? ;)
Please understand when you see me referring to a P-229's "Nimitz-like weight" or one "having the mass of a dwarf star" that it's just a grudge based on the difficulty of scoring a nice P-228 these days... :)

I own a sigpro in .40 and it is superbly accurate with the right load. Muzzle flip is probably not as good as, say the Glocks or the Steyr. It is not the most size efficient pistol around but is built to last thermonuclear war.

I have no experience with them but I'd be entertained to see how one of those Steyr M40s work. They are very compact, have good ergonomics, a low bore axis, and if the Steyr heritage is an indicator, are probably very high quality.

SS

Back