Best mid-size to compact sized .40

Monty

I am considering adding a mid-size .40 to my limited handgun battery. Things most important to me in a self-defense handgun in order.

1. Reliability, 100%
2. Limited muzzle flip
3. Ergonomics, how it fit in the hand
4. Trigger action, short, smooth and consistent
5. Concealable, not too important as I have a Kahr P9 for when maximum concealment is necessary but don't want anything as big is my Beretta Elite.

Pistols I am considering

HK USPc
Walther P99QA
Steyr M40
SigPro 2340
Glock 23 (I've tried this one before and the muzzle flip was a little more that I cared for).
Beretta 9000

Appreciate any opinions of the above pistols (or any good ones I may have missed) based on the above criteria. Thanks

Well...IMO nearly all .40s have significant muzzle flip. But, IMO the best options in .40 are:

3. Sig 229/239
2. Ruger P94
1. HK USP/c (The HK seems like it would work BEST for you since it is on your list) The HK will be my highest ranking for your needs.

Traditionally, Glocks have less muzzleflip than other similar pistols because of the lower bore axis... it may be the cartridge moreso than the pistol....

You've got all my favorite .40's on your list, in fact, all three are still in the running for me too.

HK USP40C - have access to one, but it does indeed have a kick to it!

Glock 23 - rented one, but it had a .357 sig barrel in it. THAT was muzzleflip!

Walther P99 - on the top of my list right now... fits best in the hand.

Rent 'em, shoot 'em, handle 'em... they're all superb, and one will make itself known to you as the winner.

I would look into the CZ110, I would call it mid-size. I carry it daily with no concealment problems at all in various places. The 110 is a SA/DA, polymer frame available in both 9x19 and .40, Of course it has a DAO brother, the CZ100 if that is your preferance.
...CZ...

I have shot all of your choices w/ the exception of the Steyr.

H&K USPc: Shot well, but had serious muzzle flip w/ 155gr carry ammo. Cycled 100%. May try it again in variant 7 or w/ the LEM trigger. Didn't think that recoil system was all that it was said to be.

Walther P99QA: Loved the QA trigger. Recoil was harsh due to the stiff polymer construction, which also led to my frame cracking in three places after 250rds. One jam, attribute it to being a new gun. No further jams. Felt great pointed well, but the USPc did a better job of absorbing the recoil. H&K and Glocks polymer is of a different type, and you can feel the difference.

SigPro: Recoil was sharp, trigger sucked and it was just too big. Cycled and functioned 100%. Looked like they filled a mold w/ as much polymer as they could and popped out a pistol. Also those proprietary light rails are a scam. Why not make a industry standard. Are you listening Walther, H&K, Sig, and Steyr. If you like Sig go 229 in .40Auto.

Glock 23: Love this gun. It handles recoil well. Reliable, my only gripe is the serratted trigger that tore my finger up in exteneded firing. Ditch the platic sites and get some Mepros, Trij etc. and enjoy.

Beretta 9000: Handled one. Felt like crap. Didn't like it at all. There is a recall on them already. They look like a really ugly kids toy. Trigger pull is HEAVY!

So in the end I would say either the H&K, Glock, or Sig 229. These are all quality weapons and work well. Sorry to be so long. Hope this helps.

Be Safe
Mike

No one mentioned the EAA Witness. I have a compact steel model which has never FTF and is very accurate. They do make a compact polymer, as well. I love mine. Jim Hall

the only .40 i have is a Glock 22. it has fairly little recoil and muzzle flip, not much more than a 9mm. i really like this pistol it shoots great. i've shot a G23 and it had a bit more muzzle flip but not that much more.

i'd say the top 2 that you should choose from at the HK USP-C and the G23. but as you said one of the most important things is how the gun feels in your hand. try them all out and see which shoots and feels the best for you.

Monty,

First, let me say that the .40 S&W round hates me. I have tried/owned the Glock M-22, Sig P229 and now the Steyr M-40. My ability to shoot pistols in this particular caliber has been a disappointment. Must have something to do with the slide velocity or recoil impulse...

Out of the pistols you'd mentioned I would favor the Steyr in terms of ergonomics and recoil control. I would favor the HK USP for build quality and the Glock for value. I wish I could give the Steyr a better endorsement but the trigger, as it came out of the box, sucks. My Steyr has been 100% reliable, but the trigger added to my inability to shoot the .40 S&W makes me look like Gomer Pyle at the range. The good news is Steyr knows of the problem and offers a free trigger upgrade, so I guess pistols shipped after August 2000 have better triggers.

Your short list sounds like a good starting point, I don't think you can make a bad selection out of any of the pistols you'd listed.

As for me? I'll stick to .45s.

JJCII

I've got a Beretta Mini Cougar, 8040F. It's only 4 1/2" high (the grip height is one of the primary factors that aids in concealment) and 7" long (which gives a decent sight radius of 5.2"). The weight is ~27oz, in the same ball park as the Kahr and Glock. The rotating barrel does help (IMHO) in felt recoil and muzzle flip. I've shot Sigs, Glocks & Kahrs and like the feel of the Cougar better, no slip on grips required to make it "feel right".

-- Chuck

Went thru the same thing awhile ago myself. I went to a gun show and picked them all up and handled them. I decided on the Sig P239 in .40....

It's smaller than the SigPro and not much bigger than some .380's. It feels good in the hand and it shoots like any other Sig, which is great . Can stick in the the small of the back and wear it all day without even thinking about it. And....
8 shots of .40 cal is nothin to sneeze at.

Monty, I know you said .40, but why not consider a Glock 30?
Size is very close to the G23 and muzzle flip is all but non existent. I own a G27, G23 and a G30. You will adjust to either, But IMO, the 30 is much more comfortable to shoot.

I have no problems with the Glock 23 and was pleasantly surprised with all loads from 165 to 180 that I have run through it. I love my G23.

I went through the same decision making process this past month.

I narrowed my choices down to the Glock 23 and the HK USP40c.

I bought the HK USP40c.

I pick it up Friday.

No regrets at this point.

Well, IF price is no object...look at the S&W "Performance Center" Shorty .40...very compact, high round count to size/weight ratio, excellent trigger, excellent sights, accuracy and reliability second to none!!! I saw a USED, "pre-agreement" "Shorty" in a gunshop for $499.00 over the weekend...if I hadn't already "disposed" of my "disposable" income, I'd have been tempted!!!....mikey357

Personal fave?

The G23; I've owned 3 G23's and a G23C. Outstanding pistols. My experiences with the SIGpros have been positive, as well. I hold an irrational prejudice against the P-229; as a former P-228 owner, I can't help feeling that the brick-heavy P-229 stole my sweetheart's place in the SIG lineup. USP's are nice, too, if a little chunkier than necessary. Also, I can never decide which "variant" I like best.

thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the replies, a few comments...

Think I am going to take dk6's advice and look beyond the .40 S&W to the .45ACP but instead of the Glock 30, I am going to look hard at the Ruger P97. I've owned a Glock 30 and there was little I could fault it for except it's grip was just a little too short for my hand. Shot great when it got to my hand but couldn't get a quick grip on it because of how it fit my hand so it's wasn't good for a carry gun.

The Styer M40 has also caught my eye and I plan on keeping a close watch on it. It sounds like it has a few issues that need to be resolved but it looks like a solid design that should prove to make it a top-notch fighting handgun once it is a little more refined. If they finally bring one out in .45, so much the better (can you tell I've recoved a bit from the .40 bug that bit me at the beginning of this post?)

Thanks again, Monty

Back