Best Method/Holster For CCW With Mid-Sized Pistol

You should also consider what body position/activity you are normally engaged in. For example if most of your activities are sitting/driving the a standard strong side or small of the back carry would not be acceptable. A cross draw would probably work better.

My preferred carry is an original Pancake for my 1911 at 4 o clock. Unfortunately, the configuration of my vehicle prevents me from drawing when I am seated in the drivers seat. To remedy this I have installed a holster on the center console. when I enter the vehicle I place the pistol in the console holster.

Without reading the other responses to the OP's question, I submit this...

It depends on a lot of variables like your body type, the environment in which you carry and therefore the clothing you wear. What works for one may not work for others. If you are going to carry always that means you will be carrying winter, summer, spring and fall. You have to find what works for you in all situations.

I carry OWB almost always and am able to conceal sucessfully in situations you may not. You need to give thought to what will work in your situation and then seek methods that will work for your unique requirements.

My recommendation is always carry. Find a way.

I gather that, ultimately, it's whatever works best for you, at least at any given moment. I personally think most people will have enough presence of mind to remember where it is if you don't always carry it in the same place. Of course, most isn't everyone. But after re-reading the first post again, I'd reverse the priorities and maybe even change them again later.

While there are those who say comfort isn't important, sooner or later, you may think otherwise. Concealment is a must but not necessarily the very highest priority. And as for speed, that can be problematic. You can't hide a Jordan holster very well (that's what we all use to practice our trick shooting, right?) but any kind of up tight against your body is not going to be the very fastest thing going but it begs the question, how fast is fast enough? So, I guess you have to identify your own problem, then work out the solution to suit yourself.

Actually, BT, the holsters I use regularly for concealed carry are the same holsters I use at IDPA. Same cover garments, too. (I don't use shoot-me-first vests, either.)

The guns I carry regularly are the guns I compete with.

I use IDPA to evaluate whether my carry methods allow decent draw speed.

BT, I am pretty sure you know the type of vest I mean. This is not a fleece, down, or biker vest. It's the lightweight, faux photographer's or fisherman's vest that some guys wear for CCW, and that even more wear for easily moved "cover garments" in competition.

The term "shoot-me-first vest" is often used to describe these, as I am sure you are aware.

Yes, I think I understand. I've even noticed one person wearing one one hot Saturday at the gas station. That, combined with his wary look, was sort of a giveaway.

For what it's worth, I can consistently draw and fire accurately in 1.6 seconds from either a cross breed holster or a Comp Tac inside-the-waistband holster at my 4 o'clock.

For what it's worth, I can consistently draw and fire accurately in 1.6 seconds from either a cross breed holster or a Comp Tac inside-the-waistband holster at my 4 o'clock.

But with what as a cover garment and accurately at what distance? 1.6 is good if you are having to remove several layers to get to your gun, or if you are wearing a tucked shirt...

Sent from my HTC One X

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro pistolero
But with what as a cover garment and accurately at what distance? 1.6 is good if you are having to remove several layers to get to your gun, or if you are wearing a tucked shirt...
30 feet, 8 inch plate, Texas-tucked T-shirt with an open (unbuttoned) shirt or a Blazer/sport coat over it.

I don't know how good it is, but it's what I know I can do consistently.

Last edited:
I wear Docker pants and Tommy Bahama shirts, no problem CC'ing my XD40 either IWB or OWB. The old saying is that you must dress for the occassion.:D

MLeake concur with use of regular clothing in your competitions. When I shot IPSA, i competed using my duty weapon and rig. A lawyer I shot with allways wore an old business suit and dress shoes.

We never won and rarely placed. We did improve our skills and confidence in ourselves, weapons and equipment.

Back