Best load for H&R single 12

The rules here are no rimfire and nothing under #4 buck.

I'm not hunting this year, but I will next year. Not sure if I'll use 12 gauge buckshot, slug, 7.62X39R, or .308 win.

You probablt have a point about the shock of buckshot, but I do know that what kept him down was massive internal bleeding. When I gutted him his thoracic cavity had about 3 liters of blood that came rushing out.

That kind of bleeding is typical of hits in both lungs, Kilgor.Major blood trails, if the critter gets to make one.

All of the stuff you mention will do the job if you put it in the right place. Good luck...

DaveMcC-
>Also,if you're handy, or there's a smith in the family, >get a forcing cone reamer from Brownell's and lengthen >that one. It should improve patterns and cut the kick a >bit.

Is lengthening the forcing cone in a single shot 12ga. actually something you can do yourself? I was under the impression that you more or less had to take it to a smith to have it done, I've got a NEF 12ga. w/ FULL choke that I like to use as a turkey shooting gun (among other things) and I'd like to do a cone job on it. If it's not really something I should mess with myself about how much would a gun smith charge to do it?
Thanks for the help,
Cactus

First,off,I'm no smith. I took a couple of mine to a smith friend and he suggested I get the reamer and do it myself.

Last time I looked, it was about $50 for the job, and not much more for the tool. My guess is that anyone who's handy and has some metal working skills won't have a problem, but it's a semi educated guess.

Maybe posting this in the Smithy Forum might get some input from the smiths there as to the difficulty of this.

Also, a NEF full choke with a cone job and some judicious patterning would make a great Turkey/ turkey shoot gun. Enjoy...

Back