Best light weight 20ga. Auto

You are looking at a Franchi AL 48, very light, just remember the gun operates on the long recoil principle like the Browning A5.

I'd do a Remington 1100 they are like a Timex they just keep going and going.
To me long recoil shotguns are noisy, click clank.
More modern I like my Beretta 390 sporting clays gun.

Having had both, it was once a toss-up for me between a Franchi AL48 and a Remington 1100 Special Field - but has since resolved into just the AL48, having sold the 1100SF.

From the 1980's or earlier......it would have to be one of the Remington's - either the 11-87 or the 1100's....( but they aren't light )....and the 11-87's came around in late 80's.

Personally, I'd much rather have a Benelli ..../ I have their Super Sport model in a 20ga and its only 6.2 lbs with a 28" barrel ( synthetic stock, comfort tech system in it, inertia gun, really easy to clean - drop trigger group out, handles any load I've tried down to 1200 fps with no issues, and its been a good gun / but they've only been around since 2000 or so.../ I have the same model in a 12ga as well, in a 30" barrel, and its only 7.2 lbs....

Changeable screw in chokes are a plus - in any shotgun in my opinion / and soem of the 11-87's have fixed chokes ...and some of them came with changeable screw in chokes.../ I could probably get by with a shotgun choked to a Modified or maybe an Imp Cyclinder....but I would rather have the option to change my chokes as I need for different games, or different game !!

That sounds about right ...( but who remembers anything from 1987 ....) ...not me, at least...or 1997 / or 2007 for that matter....:D

( and I know what you meant ....the name is 11-87 ) ????
Who knew Remington's marketing dept was that creative ....???

here's my vintage 70's LT-20. A real classic...

DSC_0001-001.JPG

LT-20 Special field/Upland, 1100

here's my vintage 70's LT-20. A real classic...
I'll have to admit that when it comes to shotguns, I am behind the times. However, the best one I have ever owned, is the LT-20 Special field with the shorter barrel and straight stock. I also had the regular one but preferred the Special fieldUpland. I cold carry that one, all day and kill plenty of birds. That is before they all moved to South Dakota. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
A friend of mine has

a Weatherby SA-08 in 20 guage. It isn't as light as my Franchi but is lightweight and gas operated. They are also less expensive than a new Franchi or a new Remington.:D

Yes, either one are pump action though. The ultralight shaves off a few more ounces over the featherlight. I think the model 51 is semi auto.

I have an Ithaca M37 Featherlight 12 Ga, great gun.

Both the Franchi and 1100 are time-proven designs. The question then becomes HOW light do you want the gun? The Franchi is the lightest - that can be both a blessing and a curse - ease of carrying for long periods versus light and VERY whippy to swing on target. Unfortunately, there is ALWAYS a compromise in this regard

I really like that franchi. I don't want a beretta or Benelli, so how does the following stack up against each other ? Weight, cycle time, recoil, and reliability for dove, rabbit, and squirrel hunting?
Franchi 48
Ithaca 51
A5 light
1100 Lt 20

The Ithaca is no longer made
Cycle time is overrated and irrelevant - they shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger
The Franchi has been the same basic design since 1948, the 1100 since about 1963 and the A-5 since God was born - so all are reliable and proven

Go with what FITS and will work for you in your situation

You really should try to shoot these to see what feels best to you before buying

Back