Best lever gun caliber for a 16in barrel

Henry X, For Me

Bought a Henry X in 45 Colt a couple of months ago. Gets 1200fps with my preferred 280gr RCBS SAA SWC load.

It must be for a special application, like inside a confined space... Otherwise, I just don't see the practically of such a short barrel. What could be handier than a 20" barrelled levergun, unless it's a holstered revolver?

I have a 44 mag Chiappa Alaskan with a 20" barrel. It's a takedown which I like. Issues with the 1892 rifle clones of course is they are top eject and so for optics you need a scout scope of red dot mounted forward of the receiver.

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Hoping to develop a plinking load (240gr cast lead RNFP and Unique) and a hunting load

(Thinking 240 gr Nosler JSP or Swift A-Frame. Maybe the 265gr Hornady over H110 or N110)

I know Skinner is selling a kit they call the Bush Pilot with a 16” version in this case.
Best wishes,

Scrummy

You may enjoy reading this article. And the whole site is devoted to lever actions and revolvers. https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/trapper2.htm

That being said I don't know that in the real world you really gain anything from 4" less barrel. Brian Pearce wrote an article on the 30-30 and said you lose about 17fps from each inch of barrel cut off. JMR's post was spot on.

I have two SKS rifles. The one with 20" barrel and the other the Paratrooper Carbine with 16" barrel. The 16" gun is cuter and has a cool look to it but I prefer to use and shoot the 20" gun. I like the longer sight radius and I like the blast a little further from my face.

But if you just have to have a 16" gun I would get either the 357 (first choice for me) or the 44 mag. And the final choice would be based on what you want to do with it. My Marlin 357 with 18.5" barrel is my favorite gun all I own. Thats a good barrel length too.

It must be for a special application, like inside a confined space... Otherwise, I just don't see the practically of such a short barrel. What could be handier than a 20" barrelled levergun, unless it's a holstered revolver?

Up until the NFA of 1930 the Trapper was the most popular Winchester sold.

Last edited:
Back