Best handgun for a newbie

Beezer

I'm fairly new to shooting. The one handgun I've shot was a baby Glock .45. I didn't really like it. I'd like to get something not quite a power that is fun to shoot. I'm not necessarily looking for a home defense weapon, just something to enjoy shooting at the range.

Any suggestions on guns I should test next time I am at the range?

For a fun range gun, it is hard to beat a .22 LR revolver or semi-auto pistol. Ammo is very inexpensive and recoil is almost non-existent. For a first gun, I always like to recommend a .22 to help establish the fundamentals of shooting and safety. Recoil and muzzle blast are the two biggest obstacles to overcome for the new shooter, and both of which are minimal in .22.

Two specific guns to consider are the Ruger .22 automatics: Mark III or 22/45 are the two models in current production. Both can be had new or used fairly inexpensively. Despite the reasonable price, both are reliable, quality made guns.

My .02 cents.

Go get a Ruger 22/45 and never look back. It's hours of fun at the range, wonderfully accurate and can be found at a great price point for most.

Last edited:
Beretta 92FS.

Its a full size 9mm which makes it a great shooter, its very accurate, very reliable, its not too pricey, and ammo for it continues to be affordable and available.

John

Range guns...

If your budget or requirements are open, Id look at a Glock 34 in 9x19mm or a 35 in .40S&W(that can be converted to .22LR or .357sig with extra parts).
Glocks are simple & safe to use. It could be a great range gun.
The 5.25" barrel XDm in .40/9mm or the CORE format Smith & Wesson M&P 5" barrel can also work. You could add a target sight to the CORE model for fun or match use.
Other models like the Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, 92FS, Walther PPQ, SIG P226R SAO, HK P30L or HK45 can be good too.

Stay safe & have fun;
CF

Get a Ruger .22 semi-auto. If you have the $$$, buy a Ruger Single-Six revolver. Learn how to shoot them well and then borrow/rent some guns to find out what you'd like to move up to, caliber-wise.

Best gun to learn handgun basics is a revolver

Bargain basement ones like Rossi are decent and Taurus is a little better.

The .22 is a great start, but everybody needs a nice .38!

Nothing wrong with a .22 ....but I'd add the Browning Buckmark to your list...

But a full sized 9mm...is not a bad idea either.../ one of the better guns out there is the Sig 226 line....but Springfield, S&W, H&K, Glock etc all make full sized guns ....that are good range guns ( if they fit your hands )...

Find a shooting range that will let you try several guns. I went through about a dozen until I found a Baretta 92 and Sig 229 I really like.

Is there an echo in here?

I keep hearing Ruger .22 over and over again.

That's actually a good thing.

The Ruger Mk-II or Ruger Mk-III are great .22 Semi-Auto pistols,,,
There are also the Ruger 22/45 Series of .22 pistols,,,
Functionally they each perform almost the same,,,
But with different frame, grip style/angle.

You can't go wrong with either,,,
Pick the one that feels best in your hand..

My personal preference is for the 22/45 pistols,,,
The grip angle seems to fit my hands a wee bit better.

These guns are often described as tanks,,,
They are very solid in their construction and well finished,,,
My bet in a longevity contest would be on Rugers to last the longest.

The Browning Buckmark pistols are top quality pistols as well.

Some of the most interesting and amusing forum wars I have seen,,,
Have been between the Ruger fans and Browning fans,,,
Their forum discussions get very heated at times,,,
Truth is, they are both very fine handguns,,,
The difference is just personal preference.

S&W makes the 22A pistol,,,
These are nice target style pistols,,,
I used one to qualify for my concealed carry permit.

I found the grips to be somewhat fat,,,
They are quality guns but in my opinion,,,
They don't seem as well constructed as Rugers.

Last I will mention the Beretta U-22 NEOS line of pistols,,,
If one can get past their rather space-gun style,,,
They are very accurate and dependable pistols.

The grip is very slender,,,
They work well for people with small hands.

I own a pair of Ruger 22/45 pistols with 5.5" barrels,,,
They run all day long with inexpensive bulk ammunition,,,
With proper cleaning and maintenance I see these pistols lasting 100 years.

I also own a pair of the Beretta U-22 NEOS pistols,,,
One in 4.5" barrel and the other in 6" barrel,,,
These guns run bulk ammo just fine,,,
And have easy to load magazines.

There are dozens more .22 pistols on the market,,,
I've only listed the most popular of the single-action target style pistols,,,
But I will guarantee you that any of the five I have mentioned will serve you very well at the range.

But "why a 22?" you might ask,,,
My stock answer here is the low cost of ammunition,,,
If these are to be mainly for recreation it should not hurt to buy ammo for them.

Normally bulk ammo costs about 3-4 cents a round,,,
The best ammo (CCI Mini Mags) runs about 7 cents a round,,,
My point is that $20 to $25 buys you 500-550 rounds for all day fun.

500 rounds of the cheapest 9mm ammo I know of (Tulammo),,,
Runs about $10.00 a box or $100.00 for 500 rounds.

Right now .22 ammunition is a bit difficult to find,,,
And quite often the seller is asking a high price because of that,,,
But things will normalize eventually and plinking ammo will return to the stores.

No matter if you stay a recreational rimfire plinker,,,
Or if you graduate up to be a serious centerfire competitor,,,
Your first .22 pistol will probably stay with you for the rest of your life.

Hit some gun stores and handle these brands for yourself,,,
Ask specific questions about them here in this forum,,,
Then get the one that makes you smile really big. :D

Aarond

I would say Ruger semi --all the way back to MK I. Ruger changed the "equation" with that. I even had a Colt Woodsman back in the middle '40s but the Ruger beat that out no hands down. Even my wife (no shooter) had one back in the 50s.

willr

A S&W .38 Special or .357 revolver with 4'-6" barrel and adjustable sights. The standard .38 Spcl. cartridge is light in recoil, very accurate and not overly expensive. The .38 Spcl. 148 grain wadcutter target ammo is VERY soft in recoil and very accurate in .38 or .357 revolvers...ymmv

The Ruger .22 or .22-45 is never a bad idea. Very reasonably priced, reliable, accurate and durable pistols. Can you even wear one out? I still have one,and have owned several others since my first MK I in the '60s..

Find a shooting range that will let you try several guns. I went through about a dozen until I found a Baretta 92 and Sig 229 I really like.

Best advice. Many ranges have rentals. Everybody has different tastes in guns. Test drive several until you find what YOU like. You can start by visiting a gun store and simply picking up and holding several to see which models you'd like to test drive at a range.

i was always told back in the late 90s that for a new shooter it was bestest of all to get a regular full size duty handgun. ideally a steel model. ie a k frame, security six, 92, etc.

really enjoyable with target ammo. easier then a scandium frame with duty ammo.

Back