best guns in pistol calibers

The FBI is not, never has been and never will be the arbiter of what is and is not "best".
There is no "best" anything without specifying a budget and a purpose for the pistol. It's like asking what's the best vehicle.

I would suggest you look for a Glock 22 or 23 used. About $350. They are .40S&W. You can add a conversion barrel to go to 9mm or up to (I guess it's kind of sideways) .357sig. Three guns for the price of one.

I shoot my Ruger P97DC significantly better than a USP .45C, a Sig P220Combat or a SA 1911a1 Target.

I sold the others.

They are NOT worse than the Ruger and the P97 is NOT better.

I shoot it better. I now have a few other .45acp guns I shoot as well, and 2 I shoot better, but it is what I shoot best- not the brand/quality/design.

Don't get wrapped up in a one-brand is best for each one approach. Engage in some experimenting to determine which one works best for you- and don't listen to the punks in the peanut gallery [like me].

Glocks.

S&W 3rd Gen's

S&W Current M&P and Shield.

Calico Liberty III in 9mm & .40 (they haven't done a .45 yet, also unlikely at this point)
but 50 & 100 rounds per mag pretty much says "I see your gang and am still smiling" ;)
601px-Totalr302.JPG

Except him, he never smiles...(Total Recall)

Star Final Gen's (31M/P, Firestars, Ultrastars, Megastars) & the ASTAR MAX 8800

Sigs. Including the Sig/Mauser's.

1911's...and get one of the 22TCM/9mm versions as well :)

Last edited:
I hate Glock's; however, if someone was out to buy all those guns at once they are what I would recommend. Having the same battery of arms on all of your guns can come in handy in a dangerous situation. For the money, reliability, simplicity and availability, they are a great gun.

The best for you ...is what fits your hands the best....

For me, in all those calibers, it would be a full sized 1911 from Wilson Combat....( I currently have Wilson's in 9mm and .45 acp -- have had one in .40 S&W but sold it at a huge profit because I wasn't shooting it much - and I don't want a 10mm made by anyone...but if I did it would be a Wilson ( and I would put an Ed Brown a close 2nd to Wilson ).

I stay exclusively with 9mm, with the exception of my S&W 642 CC gun. It's easier to deal with just one caliber and if the feces comes into contact with the fan, we'll be able to obtain 9mm from international sources. Good luck with .40s&w. You'll have some useless metal chunks in your collection.

That said, I have a Beretta 92FS and I am looking at a Glock 17 Gen4 as another full-size 9mm to have around. I like large magazine capacities, so the 15-17roudns available in those guns is ideal. To defend against a home invader, which usually comes in groups not single individuals, a wall of 18 (17+1) 9mm hollow points is going to be more effective than 7 or 8 .45acp's.

Pistols

I like the following they have responded well and are accurate. I am an amputee so I hold these pistols with one hand and they hand little to no recoil.

1. Cz 75 tactical sport 9mm

2. Smith and Wesson M&P shield in either 9mm or 40

3. Now this is not in the caliber you listed but I really like the FN Five Seven 5.7 X 28mm.

The ones that YOU shoot the best, are reliable, you have confidence in, and can afford!

The most important thing is that you try several that you select from makes, and models you like. Don't befooled by price either. Mane top of the line, high end guns aren't anything sugnificantly better than less costly name brand guns.

If you are looking for a list of suggestions for you to consider, I have to agree with the above advice.

If you are looking for a for fun thread with a list of everyone's favorite guns in different calibers, here is mine based on guns I've owned or friend's guns, rentals and others I've shot on multiple occasions:

9mm:
Depends upon if you are talking full sized service guns or compact micro-9s. For the full-sized gun, the CZ 75B hands down. For the micro-9mm, it is between my SIG P290RS and a buddy's Kahr PM9.

.40S&W:
I was stupid to sell my SIG P229 a few years back. If they weren't so darned expensive, or if I wasn't on a teacher's salary, I'd have replaced it long ago.

.45ACP:
I love the 1911 platform. Feels good in my hands, points naturally, and is very accurate. Though, for some reason, the SIG P220 Carry or Combat has been high on my want list for a few years now.

10mm:
I don't have one, and I've never shot one. I wouldn't mind a 1911 for the range. If I was going to get one for self defense, it would be one of the Glocks. I love SIG, and SIG is putting the P220 out in 10mm, so that may win out if I ever actually buy a 10mm (doubtful).

Since the term "guns" was used, I'm going with my Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 Mag. It hits everything I aim at out to 50 yards. So far that's all the further I've been able to shoot it. If I could keep only one rifle and handgun it would be the Henry and my S&W 627.

That I like and shoot the best?

Ummm...

9mm - Springfield XDM. I own it, I love it, I shoot it well.
.40 - Glock 23, because its the only 40 I've regularly shot.
.45 - Springfield 1911, smooth, well put together, easy to shoot
10mm - Haven't shot one, but I just watched Hickok45 shoot a nice looking Sig in 10mm, so I'll throw that out.

Back