Best gun for Indiana

Have you considered the .357 Herret based off a cut down .30-30 case? You could rechamber a .357 mag Handi rifle to this caliber pretty easily...

Tony

You have to remember that the 357 rifles are sold on the SB-1 frames for lower pressure rounds and shotgun rounds. A step up in power would most likely need you to have a 357 barrel fitted to the SB-2 frame made for higher pressure rounds like .270 and 30-06 just to be safe.

The easy way around that is to by one in a varmint caliber that you can use the rest of the year and send it in and have a .357 Mag barrel fit to that SB2 frame.

For the small cost difference between the frames, you'd think it would be less trouble to stock one frame only and do away with the weaker cast iron SB1 frame...

Anyway I have 3 Handi rifles and I wouldn't trade off one of them. I'll probably get one or 2 more before I'm done buying guns...

Tony

For years the only guns we could use were shotguns and Black powder. A number of years ago hunters went to the state and past legislation that allowed handguns of 357 Mag or larger.
Then a few years ago since hand guns were allowed then rifles in pistol calibers were allowed a short time after that.
I agree with the others it’s the range that stops high caliber rifles.
Varmint rifles are legal, I use a 6mm Rem for groundhogs.
Trying to get an Indiana legal gun to shoot 300 to 500 yards is a fantasy.
You might not want to live here due to no rifles for deer, but the other things like there gun laws and other laws make it a good choice to live in.
I heard rumors from a DNR officer that they are considering black powder cartridge rifles. Now if they allowed that and you were named Quiggly it would be an easy shot
For out to 175 yards if you can figure the drop the Ruger 77/44 would be my choice

.357 mag lever action would be what I would use. Either that or a .45-70. But I think that is a rifle round.

From the Indiana DNR regulations for Deer hunting

http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/deer-regulations/#wpcf7-f35884-t1-o1
Legal Firearms
Shotguns, handguns, rifles with legal cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms and special antlerless seasons. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season.
Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms and special antlerless seasons only. Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets. Rifled slug barrels are permitted. Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.
Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger, loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from only the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.
Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.
Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.
Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.
Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.
Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.
Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections to the end of the barrel, including the muzzle crown.

I have seen videos of people shooting clays with TC pistols 300 yards.

You are missing the point, "Shotguns, handguns, rifles with legal cartridges".

It's the cartage that's important not the weapon used.

Jim

Back