Best first choice pistol for inexperienced woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are worried about problem guns, then skip Colt. I own a Python (about a grand, list), a Gold Cup (more than a grand, list), and a DS-II (400 bucks) and traded a SS Govt Model (800 bucks) to get the Gold Cup. Guess which one worked right out of the box. The Govt. model.

My point here is that quality is so spotty, that even "deluxe" guns from Colt can and do suck, and that there is no good indicator of what will work right from them, esp. price.

Skip the pony, mustang, whatever you planned on, and buy something else, preferably a J-frame Smith & Wesson, which are relatively cheap and certainly reliable (unless you buy a titanium model, which is questionable-- see "Gun Tests").

No offense taken Peter (I learned that long ago on boards...you can't type a tone). I simply wanted you to be aware of what I meant with what I typed.

Also, if we buy something (which is looking much like a Glock 19 if she likes it) that she doesn't want to carry or use, we'll likely sell it and get her what she does want.

------------------
Keith
http://www.ws6.com

IMHO you first need to ask those at Front Sight what they think. Although we all have fired many thousands of rounds and some of us have attended high level schools, you need to ask the experts at teaching shooting what works with their techniques and methodology. There is a significant difference between someone who knows how to shoot well and someone who knows how to teach one to shoot well. Secondly, she needs to decide for herself what works for her. I suggest you not be present when she is evaluating her selections based upon what the real experts at a top school suggest. By not being present, she will not be influenced with your preferences. Thirdly the notion of the arm she chooses be restricted to what you wish as a back-up weapon should not be entertained. She is seeking a personal weapon for herself. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

Having been in this position myself several times, I have some thoughts.

1. Avoid a small .380 - the recoil on these things is brutal and while you may want to get her one later, its not a beginners gun.

2. I would at least show her and sing the advantages of a small/medium frame .38/.357 - These are great for beginners because you can start off with very mild loads and work your way up to hot stuff.
A revolver has the added advantage of simplicity. If she doesn't "get into" shooting and fails to practice regularly, she will still be able to handle it without any problems if the **** hits the fan.

3. While I personally detest Glocks, they have many of the same advantages as a revolver for people who don't shoot much.

Go for simplicity. You can always trade up later if her tastes change.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

In regards to the Colt Mustang, it certainly is small, and light, and therefore not much of a burden to carry concealed. In fact, it's one of the smallest .380s made.

Then again, it is a single action pistol, which in my opinion limits its carry options. For example, I would not want to drop it, cocked and locked, into a purse. (Not that I'd be carrying a purse anyway :)). Same for pocket carry. The Mustang could be carried with an empty chamber, but that makes getting it into action a two-handed proposition, which might not be possible while fending off a bad guy. Carrying with the hammer down on a loaded chamber is another possibility, with the hammer being thumb-cocked on the draw, but I'm personally uncomfortable with that option because it seems unsafe for single action pistols in general.

If circumstances call for a tiny pistol, the Kel-Tec P32 might be worth a look. It's less powerful than the .380s, but probably better made and simpler to use than most.

My wife shoots a J-frame S&W .38. She likes it and shoots good with it. She feel the glocks are too big for her hands. Revolvers are much easier for any beginner to learn how to load, shoot, and carry. No weird safety,decockers, magazines etc. If she decides on an automatic I suggest the Glocks for their simplicity and lightweight. Proper technique, grip and practice will overcome the weak grip malfunction syndrome [if there is such thing]

Hi, folks,

Am I the only nut who still believes in starting with a (cheap ammo) .22 until the beginner learns to shoot well?

I have known many guys who tried to start their wives or girlfriends on 9mms, .45s, and even a .454. In all too many cases, the blast and recoil scared the woman off shooting forever. In the case of the .454, the girlfriend left the guy shortly after the range session. Not a good outcome.

A gun like the S&W Kit Gun is near ideal. An alternative would be a medium frame .38/.357 revolver which can be used with wadcutter ammo by the beginner.

Jim

No Jim, You are not the only one that feels a .22 is appropriate. Personally, the .22 is the best learning tool that anyone can use, male or female.

I guess it mostly depends on how the female intends to use the gun. Since learning the proper science and safety techniques with my .22, I have been able to easily transfer my capabilities to larger guns. Since August I have spent many days at the range shooting everything that would fire. :)

Yesterday, I shot an AR-15 and SKS rifle. Other numerous trips to the range have allowed me time to shoot .45's, .22 handguns & rifles, glocks, .38's, and .44's just to name a few.

I'm one of those shooters Rich refers to as "a trainers dream come true." Due to the fact I have never shot before, I tend to listen well to my instructors.

My instructor was a firm believer that .22's are the best to learn the "science" of target shooting. Since I've learned the basics, I can shoot anything.

The key, like Jim said, is to find something that does not scare your wife. If neither one of you are in a huge hurry, teach her on a .22 and let her work up to a better gun for self-defense.

Just my two cents worth.
Jessica

P.S. I'm going to post a story that just came to mind about shooters. I'll put it in the range section. George needs company. :)

[This message has been edited by LadydeeJ (edited October 02, 1999).]

I started my wife out on a .22 buckmark, and she has become an excellent shot. I for one think that a .22 is a great thing to shoot until you are comfortable. But if you are going to be getting professional instruction, I would probably just ask the instructors opinion.
Glocks are good, and for compact guns I like the S&W TSW series, the Sig 239, and the USP compact also. I think that it all depends on what your wife thinks feels good. I had my wife try lots of different guns and she wound up picking the last one that I would have ever expected, a Ruger p97 .45 :) She just liked it better than anything else, and she thinks that it looks "tough".

Just FYI, we went down to the gun store today and she picked out the Glock 19 with a Hogue grip.

We bought a reconditioned one with two Glock 17 - 17 round mags and night sights for $419 + tax. We're going shooting today (hopefully) so we'll see how well she likes how it shoots.

Question: What was the capacity of the Glock 19 hi-cap mags? I'd assume it was 2 less than the 17, since the 17 mags stick out the bottom of the frame.

------------------
Keith
http://www.ws6.com

The glock-19 indeed has 15 round high caps.

It is a very sound choice for an investment pistol as you will certainly be able to get your money back out of it if later she decides she doesnt like it.

Glock? No regrets. SDnR

I started my girfriend on a Buckmark as well, to avoid flinching and other bad habits that are hard to unlearn. IMHO, everyone should start with a .22 and work up. It is a lot easier to learn it right the first time. 1 yr. later, she shoots her Ruger SP-101 with full power Cor-Bon 110 gr. .357 mags., DA, without a twitch. for about $200 bucks, it's worth it to start with a simple .22 "trainer". BTW, the Buckmark has about 40,000 rounds through it and shows no wear except on the finish. not bad for the price.

------------------

One of the best choices for women is
.357 Ruger SP101 with 2 1/2" or 3 1/16"
barrel. It is a very cool little revolver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back