Best double action trigger for bear defense?

Which revolver has the better double action trigger?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the responses.

My main concerns about the double action trigger is missing subsequent shots (if they end up being necessary).

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum.

Thanks for the responses.

My main concerns about the double action trigger is missing subsequent shots (if they end up being necessary).

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum.
Buy the RedHawk Alaskan. Send it off to Mundin Six Gun Magic and get the trigger done, action tuned, forcing cone cut, and cylinders honed. You won't regret your decision.

For me it is my Ruger SP 101, 357 mag. I picked this gun up at a gun show. NIB unfired, the guy had a table at the show saying it was an Estate sale. Got a great price and found the DA trigger was just as good as the SA trigger. I am beyond pleased with this gun.

A pre-lock S&W in 357-41mg-44sp-44mg-45Colt or 45acp in your preferred barrel length will fill you needs, No extra work and expense needed. I’m not saying the newer models aren’t ok, I just don’t have the experience will them. I do have a 29 mountain gun 4” blue 44mag that is awful nice carry but haven’t much trigger time on it yet.

My Smith model 57 4” has the best DA trigger of all my revolvers, and is dead stock from the factory. Next running a very close second is my GP100 after I did a trigger job. The only issue I have with the Ruger is the false reset, normally it doesn’t bother unless I’ve been shooting a lot of semi 9mm’s and have gotten used to riding their short resets. For this reason I’d stay away from the Redhawk, at least to my understanding it’s the same trigger setup as the GP, and I certainly wouldn’t want to get caught with a false reset in DA if a bear was attacking me. Now, that being said I don’t have any direct experience with a Redhawk it’s just what I’ve learned through research.

I voted for the 29/629 in a Diamond D Chest Rig. I would recommend a 5" Barrel with heavy hard cast bullets. The Redhawk is just too heavy. I've been carrying a 5.5 Bisley in 45 Colt in this rig for many years. With 285gr RCBS hardcast bullets at 1060fps, penetration is measured in feet.

It's a fantasy scenario.

Since you're going to carry bear spray anyway, if it doesn't work, you're done.

I bet bear spray is statistically more effective than ANY gun at bear deterrant.

Back