Best double action trigger for bear defense?

Which revolver has the better double action trigger?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xDeadBeef

(I promise, not another typical "which gun/caliber for bear" thread)

So, I wanted a handgun for defense against black bears in some mountain property I just bought in a Southeastern state. New neighbor showed me some trail cam pics of a momma bear with some cubs on the back of his property next to mine.

I'm pretty set on some large frame revolver with a 5 or 6" barrel, most likely in 44 Magnum, carried in some sort of chest rig or bandolier.

I was considering the options in the poll. The main thing I care about (and the main purpose of my question) is double action triggers as it's meant to be used in a lightning-quick self-defense against predators scenario. It may be used in the future as a deer/hog hunting pistol in single action as well, but this is more of a secondary consideration at the moment.

Of course, this is addition to bear spray, bells, airhorn, etc.

I'm leaving a 4th option open, in case you want to suggest something different.

Much appreciated!

A S&W 460 or 500 Magnum is appropriate for big grizzlys. Anything smaller is nice but likely to make a grizzly mad. Maybe a 454 Casul.

For the Southeastern States, your not dealing with a Grizzly threat.
I would like to suggest a 44mag S&W 29-2 with a 4in or 6in barrel.
A tough 240gr jacked bullet, like an Hornady XTP should give all the penetration you should need.
The 29-2 is lighter than most of your options, and have a good DA trigger.
The only other suggestion, practice, get familiar with what you are going to carry.
Good luck.

welcome to TFL

I agree with 105kw, and my choice in the poll was "other".

The "other" is chose is the one that I have, a S&W M29-2 6".

While still a large gun, it is lighter than the two of the others, though you might find a new 629 in the same weight range, the current 629s are not the quality of the old original model 29s. And, to me they don't look right, either.

The gun you are asking about will be worn a LOT more than you'll ever need to use it.

Your focus on DA and a lightning-quick self-defense against predators scenario implies extreme short range and short time for response. However, even an very short response time is enough time for a shot of adrenaline to amp you up (along with the thought of being chawed & clawed) and in that situation, I doubt you could tell the difference between the worst DA and the best DA trigger in the guns you mention.

Power is not the issue. Black bear have been killed by standard service pistols, .38s and .45s. Even 9mms.:rolleyes: Placement is what matters and only proper placement will stop a charging bear, and that's the worst possible case, right? Having to stop a bear attack.

Mr bear wears a shaggy loose fitting bear suit, and compared to deer and similar animals, the vital spots are not quite where you think they are just be looking at the outside of the bear. Do some study, your butt might thank you someday.

Black bear are not harmless Yogi's only after your pic-a-nic basket, but they are also not armor plated demons from the pit which take nukes to stop, either.

Your best "defense" against black bear (or any bear/predator threat) is awareness. Your eye, and your ears, and even your nose, and the willingness to put your feet in action and retreat. And note, I'm not saying "run" I'm saying retreat. Run is for when retreat fails, and shooting should ALWAYS be the very last resort, when you're not hunting bear.

As to grizzly bear? The only ones I know of in the SE states are either in zoos or painted on the wall of a highschool gymnasium as their mascot.

and the hand cannon .460s & .500s, even the .454 are, in my opinion, VERY poor choices for most people. They are very specialized pieces, huge and heavy, poorly balanced (at least the longer barrel ones I've handled) and the recoil is more than most people can manage in order to fire a rapid and accurate second shot. Given a choice between a 460 or .500 revolver, and a Desert Eagle in .44 Mag, I'd pick the DE. If you're going to lug around that much iron, you should at least pack something you can learn to shoot fairly fast and accurately. Just my opinion, based on nearly 40 years experience shooting .44 Mag SA, DA, and semiauto.

My Ruger SRH has a smooth 8lb double action trigger pull (3lb.2oz single) & is perfect for what I use it for. A compact, quick on target snubbie that packs a punch. It’s taken a few sight changes & a lot of practice to get proficient with it but I can rapid fire full strength loads & keep ‘em all on a paper plate.
PDMqQ17l.jpg

Last edited:
Lucky. Wild life in what sounds like a wild area. Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted.

Bear spray shoots to 40ft at pressure. That's pretty far and isn't just mist at this distance.

They sell a trainer bear spray. If you buy in combo, it's actually pretty cheap and won't send you to the ground, though you are suppose to test a new can of bear spray each time. My experience has been it spreads but isn't a thin mist as it goes out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SABRE-Frontiersman-9-2-oz-Bear-Spray-with-Practice-Spray/915681506

Get a 4" barrel SW M69. If you get serious about carrying long distance then get the M329pd. Both 44mag. Any 240gr and up ammo will handle bears in your part of the country.

Choose something that you can afford to shoot often enough to get really good. Bears are very silent in the woods and can move faster than you would think when being aggressive. You're going to need to get that pistol into action quickly and shoot accurately.

The good news is that I've been around a lot of bears in my life including numerous face to face encounters and they always run. Even with cubs. They chase the cubs up a tree and follow them up.

While I don't speak from personal experience, bears can be on one really quickly, I would say if your first instinct is to grab the bear spray, well, you will be holding that if you get lucky or it will fall to the ground while you are being eaten if you are not.

When I am fortunate enough to move to an area where this is a concern, I will be carrying at least a Ruger-only load .45 Colt or a .44 Mag. Screw bear spray.

With a little practice I think any would be acceptable. There are variations in trigger pull from gun to gun so it’s hard to make across the board Generalizations. A holster that allows for easy access, grips that naturally fit your hand and sights that facilitate a quick sight picture are probably equally important for getting off a quick and accurate shot.

If I had to choose between the 3 listed I’d probably go with the S&W.

My bear defense handgun is a stainless S&W 2-1/2" .41 Rem. Magnum, in a chest holster. I drill with this revolver in DA mode only. The load is 210 grain hard cast lead. I forget the precise load, but recall that it chronographed at about 900 fps.

However, whenever feasible whilst trekking in what might be considered bear country, I tote a 12 gauge Winchester pump loaded with 1 oz. slugs.

So far, neither has been tested versus a bear.

Black bears have been photoed on trail cams within a mile of my house. I don't worry about them because they typically work hard not to be spotted.

On the occasion that I venture out into the national forests I carry my Redhawk .44

I can't speak for OP's poll because it has been about 15 years since I have fired a .44 that wasn't mine. As to what trigger is best... The one you have and practice with. With the price of factory .44 mag ammo these days, I hope you reload so you can get enough trigger time on your magnum wheel gun.

While I’m not big fan of 4” guns, I am a 29-2 guy. I think best DA for Bear defense is a 29-2 4” barrel. 240gr / 250gr ( I forget) Sierra silo bullets. I shot deer with one and it buzzed on through exploding opposite shoulder but kept on going. I don’t think there was much bullet expansion. I’ve never shot Grizz or Brown but Blacks aren’t any harder than Hawgs. I’ve had them plow around running into stuff but death throws. They weren’t charging wounded.

Two (more) points about bears...
Where you hit them matters most.

I once saw a black bear that had taken 5 (five) .30-30 shots in the head. 4 of them glanced off the bear's skull. The fifth, from a slightly different angle, penetrated and dropped the bear, DRT. Freakishly rare, but it DID happen.

Second point is something Elmer Keith used to say....
(paraphrasing) If you have a decent handgun and you keep your nerve, you can stop any bear attack. Every bear opens its mouth when it attacks. Shoot through the mouth break the bear's neck.

Elmer never said you wouldn't get "clawed or chawed", only that if you kept your nerve you would win. :D

Personally, I would prefer to stop the bear before that, but I can't say Elmer was wrong....:rolleyes:

Best is the gun you'll actually carry, trigger pull matters not much. Despite the old wives tales about needing a cannon to stop a bear real world data says otherwise.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/up...r-attack-93-cases-97-effective/#axzz7YZXnXbKD

These guys have been researching documented cases of bear defense for several years and update periodically as they obtain more data. According to them common rounds such as 9mm and 45 ACP work as well as anything else.

Especially in the Southeast. The average bear here in GA is around 180 lbs. Smaller than most adult men.

If you want to hunt with it a 6" or longer barreled magnum revolver is a good idea. But for defensive purposes something much smaller and easier to carry is the way I'd go. I hike a lot here in GA, TN and NC in black bear country. I'm fine with a small 9mm, 10mm, or 45ACP. Especially if loaded with heavy for caliber hardcast loads from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore.

We hike a lot in the Smoky Mt NP and I usually have my Sig 365 loaded with 147 gr Buffalo Bore ammo. It is small enough that no one else has to know, but I'm 100% sure it will work as well as anything bigger.

If you're not comfortable with that one of the Smith or Ruger 5 shot 357 mag revolvers would be an option. But I'd still recommend good 180 or 200 gr hardcast loads.

I once saw a black bear that had taken 5 (five) .30-30 shots in the head. 4 of them glanced off the bear's skull.

Aiming for the head in a frontal shot is a very difficult shot. About the only way to get a bullet into the brain is if you hit the nose. The bone is sloping in such a way that bullets will deflect off the skull. It is much like the frontal armor on a tank. Even a shot to the eye may leave it blind in one eye but won't hit the brain. Take a good look at these photos and you'll see what I mean. From the side can be very effective.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...tedindex=24&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0&vt=0&sim=11

Yeah, to add to what 44 Amp says, I'd be more worried about how 'fast' I can get the gun (whether DA or SA, gun maker, or caliber) into action, Ie. uncork revolver from holster (under coat/shirt?, strap over hammer?, etc.) , and then be 'cool' enough to stand there and get on target to make a solid 'hit'.... A good finely tuned trigger isn't going to help you here!!!! See I had a demonstration of how fast a bear can move. At a company I worked at, they brought a bear trailer down simulating a bear coming out of a cave 'on the move'. 'Knowing the bear was coming' (you may not have this option being surprised), you had to turn around, unclip the bear spray from your belt, pull the safety pin, and then point/spray before the bear hit the end of track.... It was 'very' enlightening. Seemed easy ... but it wasn't. And it took me a couple of tries to get there 'bearly', and regardless the 'bear' was close enough to bowl me over/take a swipe, if it felt the need! So yeah, boils down to 'nerve' to stand there and 'do something' instead of freeze for a few precious seconds. Taught me if I 'really' wanted to survive that type of encounter, I'd have to rely on 'muscle memory' to get the gun/spray into action. That means lots and lots of practice drawing and firing which, of course, I don't do :rolleyes: . I am a slow fire (non-moving) target shooter :eek: generally. While hunting, you can 'pick' your shot... Not as easy when a bear/moose/elk/hog is bearing down on you.... Glad I never had to 'experience' the real thing. That said, I carry a .44 Special or .45 Colt SA revolver for SD purposes out here if woods walking.

My grandfather's story of his black bear experience here in MT. He was out with his brother and he had only a .22LR rifle. His job was to flush the deer toward his brother. But he flushed a bear instead, which charged. He shot, hit it in the head and the bear went down. Grandfather took off running for a tree. Bear got up and took off again. Shot again, and bear went down. Made it to a tree and up it. Then kept the bear at bay until his brother arrived and dispatched with an '06. As above the .22LR only flattened on the skull and didn't penetrate, but did ring it's bell so to speak....Enough to get to a tree... Thought I'd relate...

Last edited:
The bone is sloping in such a way that bullets will deflect off the skull. It is much like the frontal armor on a tank.

In general principle, yes, but not so much like the sloping frontal armor of a tank (which is also its thickest armor, for the purpose of stopping incoming rounds) but more like the soldier's helmet.

It is the curve of the helmet (or skull) and the angle of impact that can deflect a bullet, not the thickness of the material stopping it. Shoot the helmet square on, the bullet punches through. Hit at nearly any other angle and it will probably be deflected to some degree. PROBABLY.

I’ve never had this experience with wild game but with hogs I’ve had 22Lr hit skull and run the surface, instead of penetrating. This at arms length. You try to shoot them with head down but sometimes they move at wrong moment. On the other hand I once shot 800lb Angus steer at 30yds with a 22lr and kilt it deader than a clam, instantly. I shouldn’t have done it. The steer was half wild and was causing me all kind of trouble. We were trying to load it to take it home and we couldn’t get near it. We were a good ways from home and 22 is all I had in truck.
I guess it’s possible for larger calibers to deflect but a large caliber lead bullet being deflected multiple times would be exceptional occurrence.

As to your trigger question. They are all pretty similar. Until you get into custom shop stuff, they are all not bad and not great. I guess the colt has an ever so slight edge.I personally would pick the gun I like and if trigger does not suit you, send it off for a trigger job.

Back