Best defensive .45 under $800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the BEST defensive carry .45 under $800 is the Glock 30. It is fat and ugly, but somehow everyone still shoots it great. It is %100 reliable, and one of the most accurate .45's ever made. You will be amazed at it's accuracy potential and how well you shoot it.
The Glock 30 is ugly, and I revel in it's ugliness! I named mine "Hooch", because it is my Big Dawg, and it is ugly but lovable like a defensive weapon should be ;)

On another note, my buddies and I have had outstanding service from our CZ-75's, which has given me faith in the company. CZ has the CZ-97 out now which is getting rave reviews. They go for $495. I would keep it in mind, although I have never even handled one (like I said, I have faith in CZ, coupled with the reviews, it has to be a great gun).

Oh...but if I had $900...the Gunsite GSP 200 is calling me. But alas, that is out of both of our price ranges right now :)

good luck,
thaddeus

I have two Colts 1911's now that have gave me years of great service. Only one had a reliability problem, and it was fixed by buying some Wilson mags. Other than that, they have been flawless.

------------------
"It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man....you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have" - William Munny (Clint Eastwood), The Unforgiven

Go with a Kimber stainless Compact. I have owned four Kimbers and put well over 6000 rounds through them combined with no jams as yet. Have been carrying a Kimber as my primary carry gun for over a year and I can't reccommend them highly enough.

I couldn't have made all that up. Someone mentioned on another thread that Colt is a UAW shop and that Monday's & Friday's guns are to be avoided. I owned a Govt. Model that was okay, til I had it throated, then it was a jamamatic, which is why I got the GC. I've seen cheap Colt 1911s that looked a lot better than my GC from the custom shop. My thinking is, that if they can't make a top of the line gun right (supposedly by their best gunsmiths), then what about everything else?

Brad, I recognize the Para P-14's, P-13's, P-12's, P-10's may not work for you based upon your post. However, I thought the same, but was surprised to find they feel just fine in my medium-sized hands.

Around here (AZ), a stainless, Limited model is about $720, but I think they can be had for less. I like everything about mine, except the sights. I'll need to remedy that.

If one of these Para's is a consideration, act fast. I'm told they no longer sell them with the pre-ban, full capacity mag's. You can still get 2 full capacity mag's from Para with their coupon, but these pistols will soon be 'emasculated' by having artificially-small capacities.

Regards from AZ

BShipley: I sympathize with you for that laundry list of problems you cited.

A tip: I buy just used hardware, and I know how to check 'em out. I haven't had a lemon yet. Slabsides gave good advice re: GI .45s. They are still out there. They rattle (by design), They don't feed wadcutters, have to use hardball; But, they will shoot every time, and that's the bottom line. I found it to be true of Gummint Models, too. Admittedly, I hand selected my purchases from the used case at various gun dealers.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Personally, I don't trust ANY pistol to 100% reliably feed .45acp anymore, and that includes the Glock 30, which is why I'm switching to .400 Corbon in my Glock 30.

I have to take strong exception to Glock 30s being 100% reliable (otherwise I agree with thaddeus about ugly but lovable). Every other Glock I've ever shot was 100% reliable EXCEPT the Glock .45s. In my view, a .400 CB HP expanded is better than .45 ball ammo for defense. And if you're not using a revolver, then you're gambling your life on possibly just one shot if you're shooting .45acp with wide hollowpoints, regardless of the gun. The .45acp round is intrinsically somewhat unreliable, relative to other common defensive rounds. I believe the experts will back me on this. Any experts here (i.e. anyone shot multitudes of pistols and kept feed data)?

Glock 30 + extra barrel: about $700-750 new.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited July 02, 1999).]

Brad, you don't need to spend $400 for reliability work. There are some good shops that will do a reliability job for around $100. I recently sent one to Clark and the price was about that-I don't have that info handy. There are others that can do lthe same. I hate to have a gun that I can't depend on so I wouldn't keep it if not reliable. I also would't sell or trade it without telling the prospective buyer of the problems I was having. That almost requires that you get it fixed. Why don't you call Springfield Customer Service and tell them your problem. I have talked to Debbie and she is super. Give it a try before you spend more money-unless you just want another gun and this is a good excuse. Nothing wrong with wanting another, and then get this one fixed. Jerry

Hey guys, thanks for all the great input. I just reviewed all your responses and came up with a list of these mentions:

Glock 30 (6)
Kimber (3)
Para-Ordnance (3)
Sig P220 (3)
Colt "Gummint" Model (3)
H&K USP (3)
Glock 20/10mm (2)
Gunsite GSP (2)
Ruger P97 (2)
Glock 32/.357 (1)
Sig P245 (1)
Glock 30/.400 Corbon (1)
Glock 21 (1)
CZ 97 (1)
CZ 75 (1)

Needless to say, it ain't clearin' the air (so to speak). I guess it all comes down to finding a handgun that feels right and is reliable for the individual. Given the list above, it's obvious that I've got a lot of shootin' to do to get some sense of what works for me!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a rental range anywhere near my house that would allow me to try before I buy( I'm in SW Michigan). If there was, I'd handle and fire each of the suggested firearms before popping for the full purchase price. Ain't possible however.

At this point I'm leaning toward a Glock, Sig or H&K. As this is the gun I want to have close at hand when things go bump in the night, I've got to feel confident that it will work when I need it to. And because I expect to shoot this firearm more than any other (in order to properly master its manual of arms), I also want it to be pleasurable and comfortable to shoot. I know it's asking alot of a single firarm, but if nothing else, I intend to enjoy the search!

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and input. I'll let you know what that final choice is.

I check mine out thoroughly now as well. Also, the gunshop I buy my guns from has a range and lets you shoot used. I got a new cylinder for the Python today and am having it fitted. Gunsmith was taken aback b/c he hasn't needed to fit any for a while. S&W parts are enough within spec that no fitting required. I expect the GC to be finished in the next week+. I'll be a lot happier when I've spent addl. $$$ to fix what should've been done right to begin with.

Well, the Glock 30 is ahead by a margin of 2:1 over any other gun. The 1911s fit the hand better, but the Glock frame is resilient and absorbs recoil better than steel. Why don't you try "Glock Talk" for more info. It seems to have the biggest following there (even the female shooters there like it a lot, which could say something about recoil). If you buy a 30, I bet that you can get nearly what you paid for it back if it doesn't work out for you.

I have about 1000 rds through my H&K USP.45 full size, and have never had a single malfunction of any kind. I've also tried just about every kind of ammo under the sun. I trust it with my life. How's that for a testimonial?

------------------
To be or not to be-that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.

Check out the H&K USP Compact .45.
I like the Glock 30 but it is too fat for my small hands. The USP Compact is a perfect fit and offers variations in the way you can carry as far as cocked and locked, cocked and unlocked but with da trigger pull, etc.
The safety lever also serves as a decocker.

I traded my Glock 30 away after I bought the H&K. The Glock is a damn fine pistol but the Glock trigger makes me a little uneasy for carry purposes even when kept holstered.

I should also add I have a concealed carry permit and the USP goes everywhere with me. At first I thought it would be way too big to conceal, but it isn't. I'm about average height and weight, 6' 185 lbs. I usually wear shorts and a T-shirt, and carry it in the small of my back with my T-shirt untucked. The only concession that I've had to make is if I need to bend over I have to squat instead of leaning over, so I don't "get made". Before anyone dismisses a full sized gun for CCW they should actually try it first. Like I was, you might be surprised.

------------------
To be or not to be-that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.

For a defensive 45acp weapon, Im like my two 45 SW revolvers: a Model 25 and a newer stainless Model 625 . Fro a gun around the house,you cant beat a revolver for accuracy and reliability. And you can load up some spare full moon clips of extra 45 Hydroshok if the urge hits you. The 45 Stainless with the 5inch barrel cost me $375.00 and the Model 25 cost $350.00

I don't know anything about Glock .45's, but my fairly new 9mm (G19)has been screwing up a lot--5 misfeeds in fewer than 500 rounds. My HK USP (full sized) shoots smooth as butter, without a single problem.

If you are not in a hurry to get the .45, wait until the Glock 36 becomes available and try it. It is a single stack 6+1 mini-.45 that should be easily concealed for defensive use. Stats: 6.77 inches in length, 4.76 inches in height, 1.13 inches wide, weight empty 20.11 ounces, full mag weight 6.88 ounces - thus loaded weight is 26.99 ounces. Accuracy and reliability should be equal to Glock 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back