Best deer cartridge for 7.62x39

This caught my Interest so I registered to post. I have an AR15 in 7.62x39 and use it for deer hunting, coyotes, etc. There seems to be some misconception about the European ammunition. Many people across the big pond were screaming for a hunting bullet in the SK caliber thus the creation of the 154 grain SP bullet. It is an actual hunting bullet that is perfectly capable of taking medium game out to 150 yards give or take. If you are good enough you can even take Elk and or Moose, but there are obviously much better suited calibers out there for that. I strictly use Tulammo 154GR SP for hunting as they have more punch than the lighter bullets and are stupidly cheaper than American ammo. I'm not sure if Wolf even makes the 15GR ammo anymore? If you want to save money on hunting ammo do yourself a favor and give it a try. That being said any of the American made ammo is just as good for hunting in a non-fmj bullet.

This is about the only video I could find for the Tulammo bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UWA2-ZvXFI

IMO just looking at the #'s so to speak...it looks like on paper that the new Hornady 135 FTX is probably the best bullet available for the X39. However, they are .308 diameter and many x39's don't shoot .308 bullets accurately.

I'm gonna try them and I really really hope they are accurate from my x39 AR. If not I'll stick to my 123 Speer Hotcors or the 123 Hornady's

135 gr

The Sierra bullet I mentioned in my earlier post, now discontinued, was the Single Shot Pistol (SSP) .308 dia, 135 gr spitzer. I looked at the numbers too, and it seemed in the ideal weight range.

My bolt Ruger shoots either .308 or .310 bullets well enough, with a nod to the .310 SST now for accuracy. But the old .308/135 Sierras would shoot into less than 1.5" consistently and that was good enough on woods deer.

I was not aware there was a 135 gr /.308 FTX bullet, and may have to experiment.

Now, with the Mini30, I only worried about minute of deer.

That's one thing I don't understand about bullet makers. You'd think a .311-312 sized bullet at 135 or 140 grains would be a perfect compromise in a heavier hunting bullet. The caliber is definitely popular enough to offer one. Not a big fan of the lighter 123's but they seem to kill deer sized game just fine.

The Sierra bullet I mentioned in my earlier post, now discontinued, was the Single Shot Pistol (SSP) .308 dia, 135 gr spitzer. I looked at the numbers too, and it seemed in the ideal weight range.

My bolt Ruger shoots either .308 or .310 bullets well enough, with a nod to the .310 SST now for accuracy. But the old .308/135 Sierras would shoot into less than 1.5" consistently and that was good enough on woods deer.

I was not aware there was a 135 gr /.308 FTX bullet, and may have to experiment.

Now, with the Mini30, I only worried about minute of deer.
Yes Hornady does I believe they are a new offering this year from them. If they don't shoot in my .312 groove barrel I'm seriously considering having a barrel made just to shoot the 135 FTX.

IMO it would be the perfect choice for 150 yard and closer hunting.

Just a though. The 7.62x39 is a cartridge, what your looking for is a load. I see this happen a lot of time's on site's like these. Must be confusing for people that don't really understand the difference. That's like saying you want to get a new rifle and the answer is a wizbang mag. The wizbang mag is not a rifle, it's a cartridge. There have been time's I've read thing's about rifle's and cartridge's on the internet and haven't had a clue what the question was and I've been doing this for a long long time. Lot of the newer thing's I'm not real up to date on. So someone get's on and ask's a question or give's info but instead of saying what they mean, it's full of abbreviation's and lot of us old guy's have a hard time trying to figure out what your talking about. Took a long time to figure out what IWB and OWB meant, didn't have a clue.

By the way, asking the question wrong could well get you wrong answer's.

Back