Best current deals C&R pistols

I just sent in my C&R to SOG, Century Arms, and J&G Sales this morning. I'm looking for... a turn of the century S&W top-break .38 revolver
You can't order .38 top-breaks from major suppliers because they weren't used by any large military forces as a service sidearm on a large-scale basis. (.44s and .45s were, but I digress.) OTOH many top-breaks are considered legal Antiques and can be bought and sold without a FFL at all. :) More info here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358013

I'm watching gunbroker.com for the top-break revolver. There are some nice H&R's there now. Not sure if I should get one, or wait for a S&W (I'm getting it for an occasional shooter, not just to hang on the wall)

Don't forget a Star Modello Super. Great shooter, looks like 1911, ammo available - 9mm largo.

kab

Got to say I agree with my Pop. I've shot his Star many times and it is overall a high quality pistol, very 'tight', and quite accurate. My only complaint is that some of the fiddly screws seem to be soft metal- poor heat treat cycle on some of the replacement fasteners maybe? Well two complaints- the grip threads have no bushings like a 1911 and if they strip its a PITA

Dimensionally it is the same as my 1911A1 in .45 ACP...and it was less than half the price of my 45

Toks seem to me to have sort of a bizarro grip angle with an odd shape in the grip frame, or at least to me it feels like it is not just a great grip frame design. At least the CZ has a better feel to me. I have fired a Tok but not a CZ though, and that might be the difference. Some Toks had modified grips on the frames that fit the hand better, like for the Egyptian models. I would not buy another Tok myself. And the Russian revolvers, well they are kinda neat but up close most of them just look nasty.

Back