Best current deals C&R pistols

zxcvbob

Starting a new thread because I really didn't mean to hijack that other one.

I just sent in my C&R to SOG, Century Arms, and J&G Sales this morning. I'm looking for a TT-33 or TTC, and maybe some kind of Makarov (and a turn of the century S&W top-break .38 revolver)

Who has the best deals for a good shooter? Are there any guns I should avoid because they are just junk? Are there other suppliers I need to look at?

Any particular reason for being CZ-52-averse? It felt a bit hefty once my Tokarev arrived but it's solidly built and uses the same cheap ammo so I wouldn't be so quick to cull it from your list.

Any particular reason for being CZ-52-averse? It felt a bit hefty once my Tokarev arrived but it's solidly built and uses the same cheap ammo so I wouldn't be so quick to cull it from your list.
I want to be able to shoot surplus hot Bulgarian SMG ammo without worrying about the gun blowing up in my hand. CZ-52 has very thin chamber walls at the bottom, the TT-33 is stronger.

I've seen the hot "SMG ammo" claim attributed to Polish, and Romanian, and Bulgarian ammo. They claim also refers to ammo in stripper clips, so if you're buying boxes or cases of boxes with loose ammo that wouldn't apply.

More importantly, I found multiple posts from guys actually chrono-ing rounds from various countries refuting this claim as a myth (I have both pistols, and didn't want to have to keep track of which ammo was which or be finicky when shopping, so I Googled like a fiend).

Maybe it's cuz the CZ-52 is so ugly? Not that the Tokarev is gorgeous, but seriously, dunno what those CZ folks were thinkin.'

Have to disagree - the vz. 52 has great rakish lines to it.

As far as bargains go, how about the CZ vz. 82?

+1 on the CZ 82. That will also "amost" meet your makarov need as well "same ammo and same dependability". I have a Tok but want a CZ 52 as well, but like you, the Tok was first on my list. Shame, because when I got the Tok, the CZ 52's were a lot cheaper than they are now.

Now as a true C&R collector, you will evenually have to get a Nagant revolver. What a fine piece of work and history, however, it's kind of useless. Still a must have though (for me), and I doubt they'll be less than $100 forever.

Last edited:
Now as a true C&R collector, you will evenually have to get a Nagant revolver. What a fine piece of work and history, however, it's kind of useless. Still a must have though
I've seen those and yes they are on the wishlist, just farther down :) (They'll shoot .32-20 ammo reloaded with .30 Carbine dies, won't they? Or are the rims too thick?)

C&R pistols

Don't forget a Star Modello Super. Great shooter, looks like 1911, ammo available - 9mm largo.

kab

I've seen those and yes they are on the wishlist, just farther down (They'll shoot .32-20 ammo reloaded with .30 Carbine dies, won't they? Or are the rims too thick?)

Some people reload for them but they rarely reload in a way that takes advantage of the gas seal between the cylinder and barrel. I shoot hotshot Nagant ammo (preferred), or 32 s&w long with mine. 32 s&w long isn't ideal though, but is safe and works well (splits the case and doesn't gas seal). Fun at the range and more accurate than you'd expect. Can't go wrong for the money, but that's my opinion. I reload 32 s&w long so after I used a case 5 or 6 times in my other 32s, I'll load them up for the nagant to officially ruin them. :D

I got my Romanian Tok from Century (I recommend you only get VG or Excellent condition from them), the Nagant(s) from AIM Surplus, and the CZ82 at a gun show. I want a CZ52 but I guess I don't want it bad enough or I'd have it already.

the TT-33 is stronger.

Sorry, that's just wrong.

Reed's Custom makes a variety of CZ52-only ammunition that would turn a Tokarev into flying fragments. It's a stronger action and much more suitable for heavily loaded ammunition.

Star Modelo guys, I have a question. I've seen those for cheap but the deal breaker for me is the ammo. Right now I'm only interested in stuff that is either common, or if out of common use then so plentiful it's dirt cheap (ie 7.62x25).

Are there any .45s available?
I haven't come across anywhere that actually has a Sistema or Ballester-Molina, but those are the two I know of. I've heard of a Ballester-Rigaud, but never seen one.

Have they just all been grabbed up (understandably), or are there any C&R 1911s left?

Zxcvbob

I want to be able to shoot surplus hot Bulgarian SMG ammo without worrying about the gun blowing up in my hand. CZ-52 has very thin chamber walls at the bottom, the TT-33 is stronger.

Bob;
Your above statement is not correct. Do not run hot loads thru the TT33, they are good guns but don't come close to the strength of the CZ52. The 7.62x25 represents one of the best shooting values around and is a blast to shoot. :)

Back