Best compact / youth model bolt action rifle?

My wife is 5'0", so every gun I get her has to be youth size haha The bolt action I got her is the Browning Micro Midas, which is the youth version of the Browning X-Bolt. Amazing gun, but price tag is probably higher than most want to pay for a bolt gun (close to $750). But if money is no object, I recommend it.

I agree on the caliber suggestions for 6.5 CM or 7mm-08. My childhood hunting gun was the 7mm-08 and worked fantastic. Recoil wasn't bad at all, even for my 12 yr old self.

labnoti's suggestion for an AR-15 isn't a bad idea either. With that, he'll never grown out of it since the buttstock is adjustable. A youth bolt action rifle will eventually be too short when he gets old enough and will need to replace the stock or put in spacers at the end of the buttstock. If you do go for an AR, I suggest 6.5 Grendel for hunting purposes.
One thing I would like more about a bolt action gun over a semi-automatic for a new/young shooter is that the bolt action teaches the young shooter to appreciate each shot taken a little bit more. A work around is forcing them to load only 1-2 rounds in the magazine at a time when practicing.

Last edited:
I got my kid a standard Savage Axis, but ordered the stock from the youth model. I put the standard stock away, so he can grow into it. I went with 6.5 CM, for no other reason than I already loaded a couple of .264" rounds and all I would need to buy is brass.

Unless you need to shoot over 150 yards often, I would absolutely recommend the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 if deer are your main target.

If smaller critters, get one in 223.

Or you could go with 6.5 Grendel if you wanted.

Anyway you slice it, the CZ 527 is an absolute winner.

Sorry folks, no more need for suggestions. Rifle is bought, scope is mounted and ammo has been fired. The boy loves it and I am happy too!

Back