best combat 357 mag with 4 inch tube

Tghat depends.

I would say Smith in any case, but which model would depend.

If I was packing the revolver around just in case there was a fight, I would say the Smith Model 19 or 66 was the nuts. But if I was already in the fight, I would wish I had carried an M-28, 27, or 627.

Maybe a 586 or 686 is what i really would want, but don't know it.

Exactly like RiverRider says,
If you want to carry a little lighter, than the 19 is the one, for lots of full power loads, go with the 27-28. The 27-28's are better for pistol whipping as well.

Best combat 357

My vote goes to the S&W Mdl 686. Thru the years, I've carried S&W Mdl 19, 13, 28, and Colt Python. The extra weight also helps in shooting the magnum ammo. My last duty revolver was the 686. Fine revolver, accurate and reliable.

I'm very partial to my early vintage Ruger Security-Six. It is a blued model and the trigger is now very smooth. A GP-100 would also be an excellent choice. The debate over who makes the toughest revolver is never ending. The 686 is a great gun too. I personally like the Rugers especially the older ones. If everyone agreed on stuff like this, this forum would be very small.

Model 19. It's lighter, thus faster, but it is also balanced. To me it's the best candidate for placing the first on-target solid hit. So it doesn't fire multiple shots as fast as the heavier guns. If I couldn't find a 19, I'd look harder.

M19 or M66 IMHO
New Mountain Gun is pretty nice also.
I have a 3" M66 and it is sweet.:)

Define "Combat".

If you are talking military combat I would favor an N-frame fixed sighted revolver. However, there is no such beast so I'd go with a S&W model 28.

If it's a civilian fighting gun, I favor K-frame S&W revolvers for almost all roles. Either a model 65, or model 66. These work for me.

Neil Casper

" Define "Combat" "

many people i don't know want to put little pellets of lead in my head.

they make a 357 mountain gun? is it a 'N' frame?

The .357 Mountain Gun is a 7-shot and I think a 686 and thus a L-frame. I think? Well I am getting old.

Fixed SIght S&W N frame.

Cat-

You said "If you are talking military combat I would favor an N-frame fixed sighted revolver. However, there is no such beast so I'd go with a S&W model 28. "

There is such a thing, the Smith&Wesson Model 520. I was shooting mine last week and it is an excellent revolver. You can usually pick one up at a very good price if you can find one.

Well, Dan wesson, Taurus and Ruger all make fine revolvers, BUT...if MY bacon was on the line, and IF I had chosen the .357 Magnum cartridge to "rescue" my bacon, well, I believe I'd just have to go with a Smith & Wesson wheelie. It'd probably be a stainless L-frame...four-inch 686 or 686 "Plus"...tho' the Performance Center 627 V-Comp eight-shooter in the gunsafe looks pretty good, too!!!....mikey357

hardball - i didn't know about the 520 but i remember the fix sighted m-28 called the m-21.

bullfrog -
for SUSTAINED, rapid, accurrate .357 fire it has got to be the N-frame smith. my personal choice would be a 5" m-27

for a carry gun that can take the .357 pounding with a minimum of care, without making you pants sag or your coat bulge, nothing can beat the ruger security-six

9mmepiphany, there never was a fixed-sight version of the 27 or 28. The M-21 you refer to was the .38 Special Heavy Duty.
The only fixed-sight Magnum N-frame revolver was the 58. However, I could easily regard the M-21 Heavy Duty and M-22 Outdoorsman as ".38 Special Magnums".

Actually, as Hard Ball pointed out, there WAS a fixed-sight N-frame .357 Magnum...the Model 520!!! It was a "special order" for the New York State Police...the guns were built, but never issued...some can still be found on the used-gun market. Price usually runs between what a like-condition Model 28 will bring and what a like-condition Model 27 fetches, if what I've seen on the various auction sites and in "Gun List" hold true...FWIW....mikey357

Back