Best Colt Clone?

James K

I am under informed and hence went looking for info on U.S. Fire Arms. Could not find much about the actual manufacturing which was done by the company.

Did they start from scratch? Did they get parts from others and then fit, tune and assemble?

I do see that they operated a CNC activity and so at least some of the work was machine work.

Which pistols were made at the CNC facility?

What can you or others tell me?

AFAIK, U.S. Firearms Manufacturing Company (USFA) made their Colt copies themselves, in the old Colt factory in Hartford. I picked one up one day at my LGS and it felt right, just like the old guns (and yes, I have handled hundreds of the old pre-war SAA's). I now have two USFA Rodeos, two "pre-war" models, and a percussion "1851" model (one of 40 made, it is not a good copy of the Colt 1851).

They later made some copies of the Colt 1910 model auto pistol and some other guns, but IMHO their SAA copies were great.

Then the head of the company, a man named Donnelly, invented a .22 plastic pistol he called the "ZIP Gun". He was so taken with the thing that he closed the revolver operation and opened a new plant to make the ZIP gun. I think that failed, but I didn't keep track of it.

I have heard the SA and other guns were selling very well and the company was profitable; I have also heard that the company head was one of those folks who likes to chase after new ideas. Anyway, the guns are gone and those who bought them have seen them go up in value.

Jim

Thank you everyone for your information on the Ruger, as I said, I don't know much about SAA. That explains why it wasn't recommended.

When Bill Ruger designed his first SA revolver, the .22 caliber Single Six, he set out to keep the old look and general style while updating the lockwork to eliminate all the old flat springs that tend to break. He succeeded very well, but as the Ruger line underwent product improvement over the years, the design got farther away from the look and feel of the old Colts.

The Rugers are a lot better guns, more reliable and stronger than the Colts and Colt copies ever were or could be. But some folks prefer the more traditional look and feel of the Colt, or clones that are closer to the original.

Jim

What caliber? What barrel length?

As already stated, Uberti and Pietta are good clones. I have a Uberti Bisley in 357 and a Steel Cattleman in 45 Colt. Both excellent quality and good shooters.

If you are looking for something that is as close to Colt as you can get . . . then save your pennies and but a true Colt. I've seen some 3rd generation Colts lately - priced between $1,200 to $1,500 depending on what they are.

If you want a good shooting SAA . . that's not going to break the bank . . then a Uberti or Pietta.

Google Uberti, Taylor and Cimarron . . take a look at what they offer . . . that will answer most of your questions. Personally, I don't care what some one else thinks of my SAA. If they want to nit pic over some trivial little difference . . let them. I have them to shoot and enjoy . . . and for what I'd have to pay for a genuine 3rd generation Colt . . . and some of them were not the best made guns . . . I could buy three Ubertis and for me, they are "authentic enough". YMMV

All the reply's here have been helpful and interesting. Thank you. I'm going to take my time and probably try to find a good deal on a lightly used Uberti in 45 Colt. Preferably 4.75 but I wouldn't turn down a 5.5 either. This turned out to be a very fun read. Thanks for all the input.

I own a couple of Cimarron Evil Roy Model P's in 45LC. The triggers are exceptional and the fit and finish is excellent. Cimarron provides the pistols then gunsmiths replace springs, work on the action. Case hardened frame and a nicely blued barrel top off a really good 1873 clone.

Last edited:
One thats been tuned!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Very true. Honestly, while there are some very good black powder guns being made to day, truth is they are all generally made to a price point, and you simply won't find any made that are truly set up to be great shooters.

Here is my Cimarron 1851 Navy Colt that Goon's Gun Works tuned:

rvefvdg.jpg

Gun runs perfectly, though I think it has too light a mainspring which has caused some issue. This gun though, is slick as snot and highly accurate since overhauled, much better than it was out of box. Uberti and other companies make really beautiful guns, but truth is they need some TLC once they leave the factory in order to really shoot great. :)

While the tuned revolver doesn't seem to address the OP's question

I have had the opportunity to compare a OOB Uberti with a Taylor Uberti and the difference is easily detectable. If tuning takes it to the next level the improvement must really be something.

highly individualized is handgun choice but the answer is 1851

1851_zps6sqgqz1d.jpg
The 1851 Colt Navy clones, Pietta and Uberti mostly can be converted to .38 Colt, .22 rimfire, and can of course shoot from mild to supersonic loads with enough barrel and reasonable timing and b/c gap.

Carries fairly light on the hip and larger hands may have an under pinkie type of two finger grip. Tack drivers in general and quite convincing with top end round ball loadings as a fight stopper. Were also used by men on horse back to 'forage' for beef. Meaning execute beef cows with their 1851 Navies. In Helena Montana around 1913 a young man learned to shoot revolvers with an original CW 1851 given to him by a veteran.

The young man went on to bring us the .357 and .44 Magnum cartridges of course working with many others. Elmer Keith cut his teeth on the Colt 1851 Navy,The clones can be had cheap to outright reasonable. Leather and accessories abound. Round ball or conical. From slow subsonic penetrating loads to 80gr. screamers that pancake on impact.

Then you have the whole James Butler Hickock thing.. so yeah, pretty much the 1851

Back