Best Colt Clone?

Any SA can benefit from tuning, even original Colts. But Colts aside, guns made by Uberti are affordable and usually good to go out of the box. Taylor and Cimarron guns are made by Uberti.

Jim

I kept thinking a Uberti Cattleman Old Model. I want one that's as close to an old one as I can get. I'd like a firing pin in the hammer, no transfer bar, rear sight cut correctly and not a modern design. Does the Cattleman Old Model fit that description?

I own five Uberti Cattleman revolvers

One of them has a date code = XXX (1974).

Every one of them has a firing pin.

There are differences in the rear sights over the years. Front sights are identical.

When you examine them closely....

The arbor retaining screw on the "Old Model" From Uberti is not a dead ringer for the original retaining screw on the Colts.

It appears to be designed to be removed without tools while the original required a screwdriver, if I hain't mistaken.

The arbor retaining screw on the "Old Model" From Uberti is not a dead ringer for the original retaining screw on the Colts.

It appears to be designed to be removed without tools while the original required a screwdriver, if I hain't mistaken.

Mine came with both. I don't use the knurled screw. The cylinder pin is too long and has a safety notch where you can lock the pin in the second hole and it blocks the hammer. I cut mine off so it looks and functions like the original. It also has a hammer block safety on the hammer but it doesn't look too bad. Certainly not like a transfer bar jumping out at you.

My Uberti is very nice

218f472daacce25ae0ce21f76a36065e.jpg

Mine is a 5 1/2 inch 44-40 with the old style or black powder frame. It was imported by Cimarron but is still a Uberti Cattleman.

I recently purchased a Cimarron Frontier (Pietta) in .357 Magnum. Very smooth action, timing is right on, hardened steel bushing around the firing pin hole. Shoots to the point of aim with 158 grain loads.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cimarron Frontierweb.JPG
    Cimarron Frontierweb.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,203
I'm not well versed on SAAs and their replicas but where do the Ruger Vaqaros land?

In never never land. They don't operate like a Colt and up close they don't look like one.

Hawg, you are such a purist! ;o)

He's right though.

On the positive side they are super quality (IMO)

My personal opinion is that they would appeal to a shooter seeking solid reliability, user friendly, a little bit of 19th Century flair. But not a shooter who has an avid loyalty to the 1873 SAA.

Here is one for the CAS clan....Are they permitted in CAS events?

Tnx,

Here is one for the CAS clan....Are they permitted in CAS events?
Yep but then so are Blackhawks. Rugers are good, solid, quality guns I just don't care for the lockwork and the way they operate. I'd love to get my hands on another Single Six tho.

Rugers are excellent guns, but not "clones" of the Colt SAA; they are a very different design, and much better for guns intended for a lot of shooting.

Not even the new Colts are really true to the old design and (IMHO) don't feel or handle the same. The only ones that did were the U.S. Firearms guns, and they are no more.

Jim

Back