Best cleaning solvent to use

I love Hoppes smell, to me it is being a kid all over again and guns and cleaning, like coffee and bacon in the morning, memories.

But its bad stuff, until I gave it up I wore Laetrile gloves.

My wife was getting seriously sick on the odor.

And the new stuff works vastly better and no odor and no haz.

Sometimes we have to adjust and in this case while its a loss of good memories, its also much better.

I can always take what I have left and sniff it a bit.

RC, I think I saw the same article on Boretech and Slip2000. I was already using BT when cleaning my .50 and switched to S2K after reading the article.

Combining the two when cleaning firearms is one of those matches that were made to go together. I tried every copper remover short of aqueous ammonia mixed with dish soap. None of them did the job that BT could do when it came to removing copper. Getting rid of the smells that get you banished to the outdoors was another plus! My wife is another that can't and didn't want the smell of gun cleaners in the house! Remember, happy wife, happy life!

I won't use JB compound, it's a micro polishing compound and that means that it removes metal. There's absolutely no way to control it by placing it on a patch and running it back and forth in your barrel. If others wish to use it, fine with me but I don't want it my guns.

A lot of the guys that I shoot with have switched to BT after borrowing it from me at the range. Guys have told me that their guns were clean, I handed them my bottle and said to run some down their barrel. When they came back over they always asked me where they could buy it. Barrett has been using it in their firearms and selling it under their name. To me that speaks volumes about a product if a company uses it and sells it under their name!

Try both products together and I know that you'll be using them until something better hits the market.

I have been using Bore Tech products for a while. I have a very old rifle that was abused for over 100 years and the carbon fouling was a world record. I contacted Bore Tech to get some of their thoughts on removal, and the guy I talked to gave me some instructions that were not printed. It worked and the old gun still shoots well with 7 shots into 1 3/4". That's about the best I can do with it. It won't shoot factory loads as the bore is too wide.

I have cleaned up 100 year of 1917s with BT and CK2k combo.

Gleaming like they came out of the factory. It won't bring back one like the 1903 that has been shot a lot (TE confirms that) but it cleans up anything that is capable of being cleaned.

Not fast as the case of the 270, but that was 58 years of carbon (mostly) accumulation in a fairly hot velocity round.

Proof is in the bore scope.

G96 complete gun covers it all

That is very useless as information goes.

What is it, what does it do, what is it characteristics, have you used a boro scope to confirm the results?

Details matter

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner is hard to beat , it's effective and a quart each of the 4 ingredients that make it up can all be purchased at the local wally mart , giving you a gallon of good bore solvent for under $20.00 .

I poked around in my garage and found a odd quart of ATF and a leftover 1/2 gallon of mineral spirits (from house painting ) at Walmart I got the K-1 Kerosene ($5.27) and acetone ($3.62) and made a gallon for $8.89...it don't get much better than that !
Gary

Alas, not so hard to beat anymore. I still have a gallon of it in a paint can somewhere, but the newer chemistries are much faster and more thorough in most instances. The one thing I can do with Ed's Red that I can't afford to do with the others is to submerge a gun in it and let it sit. I left a very carbon-fouled 1911 (about 3,000 rounds of lubricated cast lead bullets through it since the previous cleaning) receiver and slide in it for almost a month once, and that got most of the carbon to turn to a sort of tar that was possible to wipe out without resorting to metal bristle brushes. But if it were, say, Gunzilla, all that carbon would already have been at the bottom of the container when I pulled it out and only the parts in contact with the bottom would need to be wiped off at all.

I don't know if Ed has ever considered updating the recipe himself. I'll ask him.

You're doing what I do. Carbon deposits harden as they sit, so the sooner you get a solvent on them, the easier they come out.

Again, I was in Victoria, Texas at a gun store. They had an 03 Rock Island that had no visible evidence of having rifling. So I made them a deal; I told them to convince me the rifle had rifling and I would purchases it. The owner worked, sweated, swore opened a new bottle and can and then started with new brushes. And then finally the hint of rifling, once I saw the rifling I purchased the rifle.

I had friends that I knew did not want to bel left out when it came to cleaning the rifle, It was not long before they informed me the barrel was impossible and the barrel was shot out and it will be nothing but a black hold forever.

Anyhow when I finished cleaning the barrel it looked brand new with excellent rifling. And then there were all of those scary stories about blowing up 03s.

F. Guffey

Being a gunsmith, I clean a lot of guns. I have used Hoppe's, G96, Boretech, Slip2000, and several others. About a year ago, I decided to try a few different solvents. One I tried is Gunzilla, and that is my new go-to cleaning solvent. Quick, easy, and no odor to speak of. Removes carbon, varnished lubes, rust, you name it. And it lubes, too.

Not on blued guns, thank you. If you are determined to strip bluing and rust your guns, sure, go ahead, but I have to clean guns for customers and I don't feel like paying to refinish a bunch of guns. Sooner or later, anything water-based will rust a gun. And then you have to fix it.

I grew up with that stuff, and I still get kinda nostalgic whenever I smell it.
Scorch, if you would use Vinegar on a rifle's finish, I just DNK what to say.

The OP was specifically asking how to get copper and lead out of a rifle bore.

Scorch, if you would use Vinegar on a rifle's finish,

I clean old tools, I use vinegar to remove rust on old tools; I like the control/time gain when using vinegar. I also use vinegar to clean the worst of cases, cases left in vinegar too long will disappear eventually.

Bolts, receivers and barrels will rust if the metal is exposed to vinegar, the nice thing about the exposure; it will rust slowly.

And then there were the good old days when 'all you had to do was..' mix your own ingredients. back then everyone knew some of the ingredients grew rust as soon as the metal was exposed to the atmosphere.

F. Guffey

Bluing is a type of black oxide. Rust is what we call oxidized iron. That vinegar should strip of bluing quite quickly.
I use vinegar to clean up old tools also. I have a cake pan of vinegar with some things sitting it now. Not firearms though.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Back