BEST CHOICE FOR BEGINNER?

Thank you!
Your idea with renting really works.
I've rented Glock 19 but I don't like how it feels.
I'l try to rent HK USP 9mm next week.
Geer.

"I've rented Glock 19 but I don't like how it feels."

Geer, if your hands are like mine, a SIG P239 in 357 SIG was a perfect fit. After the CZ-52, that was my favorite weapon. It shoots a pwerful round that's a lot of fun. It certainly would be more than adequate for self defense.

I liked that round a lot better than the .40's or .45's I shot, though I did like the SA of the 45's better. I think of my CZ-52 as sort of a DA 357 SIG.

Try renting a SIG P239 in .357 SIG. You may really like it.

Mike P. Wagner

i agree with the rental of the different handguns you wish to try. i would reccomend if the range you rent at is like the one i rented at, bring your own ammo, they charge way too much. i liked the walther p-99 because of the multiple backstraps for it, so that it can work for several different hand sizes.

good luck, and find the firearm that works best for you and as many have said: practice, practice, practice.

Adept

I love my CZ-52, and it's hard to beat the price. But I honestly wonder about recommending it to someone for self-defense. I think that there are over penetration concerns with the 7.62x25, particularly in the commercially avaialable loads, which are all FMJ.

First off, you are right on the military loads, and I have to say that anyone who trusts the average cheapo combloc mil surp ammo to go boom whenever they pull the trigger is asking for trouble.... This would be a pretty good self defense gun with medium load ammo with soft points on the rounds, but honestly I'm not sure if those can be had commercially. I love my CZ-52, but no carry a Makarov. The ammo that goes through my 52 is usually handload stuff so I dunno what all is available commercially...

The ammo that goes through my 52 is usually handload stuff so I dunno what all is available commercially...

I am thinking about getting into handloading. I've never done any before, but I've been reading what I can. It looks pretty straightforward. Have you found any hollowpoints that will fit this cartridge? All I've seen are the Sierra FMJ.

I sure do like the pistol. I just read a thread where someone had bought a brand spanking new Springfield 1911, and was having lots of problems. I have put 400 rounds through my CZ-52, and there has been exactly one failure- the slide lockec back once when the magazine wasn't empty. And I suspect that the 1911 cost a little more than my CZ-52.

Later,

Mike P. Wagner

Speaking of CZ-52 ammo, how effective would the average fmj 7.62x25mm bullet be against modern bullet-proof vests?

Back