BEST CHOICE FOR BEGINNER?

geer

Can someone please help me?
I want to get a semi-auto pistol. I have a rifle now, but I need a nice self-defense weapon. I don't like small guns; what is really needed is a exact and powerful enough pistol.
It should be tried and reliable. I don't think I'm experienced enough for something like .44 or higher, but I've been practicing often with my rifle and different pistols, so .223 is not my choice either. So I'm thinking about something like... glock 20/20c (10mm auto), beretta 92fs or any other civilian modification of it, HK USP .40S&W
Can someone who tried them all give me advice or you know something better?
Thank you.

You want something big but reliable, powerful but controllable? Get a CZ-52 and replace the factory firing pin and you're all set with one hell of a pistola with a pretty spectacular round both visually and in terms of ballistics...

I suggest that you go to a gun range that has rental guns and shoot a few of them to get a feel of what you like. At least go browsing at a couple of shops and get a "feel" for the different pistol types.

I usually can tell whether I like a particular weapon or not the first time I pick it up. Either it feels good and points naturally for me, or it doesn't. That is my primary consideration.

Secondary is caliber. I would suggest a 9mm if this is your first pistol. Ammo is very inexpensive. This will allow you to shoot much more and get familiar with the weapon than if you would have bought a 10mm. You can sometimes buy two or more boxes of 9mm for the price of 1 box of 10mm.

All that aside, if you can handle the 10mm cartrige, then you can definitely handle the .45 Auto. I would suggest the HK USP .45. The weapon allows you to carry cocked n locked as well as DA/SA. The .40 in the full size is a good weapon, but unless you have some Hi Caps, you have a lot of wasted space that could be used for ammo.

Good Shooting
RED

Big, Powerful, Reliable?

You just described a Glock 20. Or an HK USP45 shooting 45Super. Either one would be a good choice.
The G20 is cheaper and 15rnd mags are availible, but you can't shoot unjacketed lead bullets through it, and you must remain aware of the trigger at all times (no external/manual safety).

Larger caliber; with .22 conversion!

I too suggest a Glock OR some other pistol that you like the feel and look of. However I add one more suggestion; get one that you can fit a .22 conversion kit to.

I know, from several threads here, that one of the .22 conversion kits for the Glock 19 is competition accurate and shoots to the exact point of aim that the same pistol has with the 9mm ammo. Reason: the real delight is to ba able to shoot 50 rounds for a dollar or two instead of far more. And then, practice, practice, practice with the .22 and some with the larger caliber as well.

Have fun,

Jody

Perhaps a Makarov

I did not previously mention a Makarov, 9x18 as many consider it a puny cartridge. However there are not any other pistols that are as reliable as the East German Makarov in 9x18 to my knowledge and they are quite accurate too. The ammo is cheap and the pistol can be had for $175 to $260 a bargain at any of these prices.

Do a search here on Makarov and you will see that many old hands are now believers. Many who have carried and may carry anything for personal protection opt for the reliable and accurate Makarov for exactly those two reasons. :)

Enjoy,

Jody

CZ-75 Will be perfect 4 U !

The 52 would just blow you away....
and at a cost of from $325 to $400....
You'll fall in love.
JMO,
Stocky

"Get a CZ-52 and replace the factory firing pin..."

I love my CZ-52, and it's hard to beat the price. But I honestly wonder about recommending it to someone for self-defense. I think that there are over penetration concerns with the 7.62x25, particularly in the commercially avaialable loads, which are all FMJ.

I am very new to shooting, so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the key to penetration is smaller calibers moving very fast. The scuttlebutt is that the CZ-52 was designed to defeat the soft body armor of the era in which it was used, which lead to a .30 round moving out a 1900 fps. The commercial loads are a good deal slower I think 1650 fps for the new Winchester round and the S & B round.

Older wiser heads, is over-penetration of such a round likely to be a problem? Would handloding with some of the higher tech hollow points mitigate those concerns?

Mike P. Wagner

For a handgun beginner, I'd say Glock 19. Best feel of any Glock, handy size, light weight, reliable, accurate, 15 round mags less insanely expensive than other Glocks, recoil is a joke, cheap ammo.

Glock 20/20C is fantastic on its own merits, and recoil is darn reasonable even with 600+ ft-lb loads. Accuracy is impressive too. People with smaller hands have trouble handling it though, since the grip is so fat. But that's what you get for buying a 15+1 round 10mm autoloader. :D

For any Glock the only change I'd suggest is a set of Heinie SPS8 night sights. IMHO they are the best Glock sights going.

Rent several out

You said:
I don't think I'm experienced enough for something like .44 or higher

Thus, I think you should stick with 9mm since you said you were a beginner to handguns. While the 10 mm is a great powerful round, you pay for the power with more recoil. I agree with the previous advice....rent as many different pistols as you can and decide which one fits you best! Good luck.

Renting makes a heck of a lot of sense. I couldn't find a Glock that fit my hand. This is not one of those silly "Glocks suck" messages, I believe that Glocks are really good guns. But I couldn't find one I liked to shoot. I don't know if I have big hands or small hands, or what. But I rented one once, and could never get a decent grip. About six months later, I rented another, and hated it. I actually went to the counter and rented a SIG P239 to finish up the boxes of ammo I just bought.

So I think that the moral is, "If at all possible, rent first!"

BTW, is there some standard way to measure hand size?

Mike P. Wagner

If you're a beginner with handguns, I recommend that you first take an NRA Basic Pistol class if you haven't already done so.

With that out of the way...

I'd stay away from 10mm. Full power 10mm loads are quite a handful. There are lots of good guns to consider, including:

Glock 17
Sig P225
Beretta 92
HK USP
CZ-75
Browning HP

Go to a gun store and rent (or at least handle) a bunch of guns and see what fits your hand.

You'll also have to decide on which type of action you prefer -- single action, double action, or double action only (or striker fired). Which action is "better" is a religious thing that usually ends up in a flame war...

M1911

I disagree. 10mm is extreamly versatile; it can be had in "FBI Lite" loads like the Fed HS which mimic 40S&W loads, all the way up to CorBon 180SP/1300FPS hunting loads. Just know what you are buying is all you need, and the Glock 20 has pretty mild recoil with most loads anyway.

the Glock 20 has pretty mild recoil with most loads anyway.

True, the Glock 20 is a low recoiling 10mm. My only concern is ammo availability and cost. A new handgun owner(as the thread originator is) needs a lot of practice. The 10mm is somewhat more expensive and the ammo is less available. Of course, if you reload this is not a concern........

Count me in with the "rent as many as possible" crowd.

If you already know that the Glock's don't fit, then try the others. Sig, HK, CZ, or Ruger will all have a different feel in your hand, and one or two of them will likely separate themselves from the others. Try as many as possible from those manufacturers.

For my $0.02 on caliber choice: I also suggest 9mm. You are probably going to want to shoot a lot in order to get familiar and comfortable with your new handgun. With .40 S&W, 10mm, and .357 Sig prices running roughly twice that of 9mm, it makes sense to me to start with the 9mm. Additionally, it is impossible to find milsurp ammo in those other calibers while 9mm is fairly readily available. That factor also brings the .45 ACP into play, and it would be my second choice for you.

Bottom line: Try out as many as you can. Buy a quality handgun from a reliable manufacturer and go practice. Nothing, not even a better "feel" from one gun to another, can ever take the place of running lead downrange for familiarity.

Make sure it fits your hand. Try as many different pistols as possible. When I've seen this question posted before, many recommend the CZ97B.
I like the feel of a Walther P99.

Both of these are double action which is helpfull for self defense.

All the old time experienced guys like the 1911 style pistol. That's what I actually bought for myself. I wanted a .40 because I thought 45 was too big and 9mm too whimpy. Turns out that I like the recoil of a 45 better than 40.

Most people don't carry concealed. If that is true for you, then the longer the barrel and heavier the gun, the easier to aim and lower the recoil. Mine is 5" full size / weight.

You can get used to any pistol. In fact, you MUST get used to your own pistol. I don't believe in "beginner" gun. Get what fits your hand & needs and practice a lot. I really liked the book "Armed & Female". It answers about every question you can come up with.

If you don't have any kids in the house you distrust, it should be kept loaded & possibly cocked. See the thread on concealing your loaded handgun in the home. A quick answer here might be go velcro it to the bottom of the sink in the master bathroom. You can lock two doors on your way in there, then retrieve your gun.

Anyway, test a lot of guns, play with it unloaded at home a lot, practice at the range.

Back