Best cheap .38 or .357 factory defense ammo?

So would a couple of cases kill my GP100 or 686s?

Nope. The forcing cone issue was primarily related to K Frames. For that matter, one big reason for the development of the L Frames (like the 686) was to reinforce the forcing cone so that hot 125 JHPs would no longer be a problem.

It's not that 110gr or 125gr are special, it's that they typically are hotter than standard 158gr (ie, 158gr can be hot and can flame cut too).

However, if you shoot 110gr/125gr 357 exclusively? You're likely shooting one of the harder hitting rounds on your gun.

Let's not kid ourselves, timing can go out, flame cutting likely doesn't cause an issue but can on anything but the L/N frames. It's a hard round.

What 125gr brings with super velocity over 158gr for personal protection, I'm not sure.

It's not that 110gr or 125gr are special, it's that they typically are hotter than standard 158gr (ie, 158gr can be hot and can flame cut too).

However, if you shoot 110gr/125gr 357 exclusively? You're likely shooting one of the harder hitting rounds on your gun.

Let's not kid ourselves, timing can go out, flame cutting likely doesn't cause an issue but can on anything but the L/N frames. It's a hard round.

What 125gr brings with super velocity over 158gr for personal protection, I'm not sure.
Doesn't overpenetrate, less recoil, probably expands to a larger diameter given the added velocity.

I can afford anything, my question is what's a cheap .38 or .357 ammo that can be regularly shot during practice that also actually expands.

My price ceiling for that is 65 cents a round.
At that price, definitely look at the Remington Golden Sabers (non-bonded). They do quite well in the ballistic gel tests I've seen.

For example, Lucky Gunner's tests showed average expansion at 17.6 inches and expansion at .62 inches from a four inch barrel. A test through denim on Youtube --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqqDaGHDWw

And they are 50 cents per round or cheaper (depending on quantity) at https://www.sgammo.com/ (plus shipping). I haven't shopped around so you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:
I can afford anything, my question is what's a cheap .38 or .357 ammo that can be regularly shot during practice that also actually expands.

My price ceiling for that is 65 cents a round.

I doubt you want cheap POS ammo! What you want seem's to be inexpensive ammo that will work well in your gun. I load all my own but I don't load jacketed handgun bullet's. I use only cast bullet's except in my carry guns, then it's factory stuff. I have heard not to shoot someone with a handload, not gonna wonder why as getting a box of factory stuff now and then won't break the bank. For practice with the carry guns, I shoot mostly cast!

Question I ask is how accurate do you need to be at 15' to hit a target the size of a man's chest? I have a problem as my rifles are very accurate and if one shot like a handgun for group's, I'd dump it in a heart beat!

I doubt you want cheap POS ammo! What you want seem's to be inexpensive ammo that will work well in your gun. I load all my own but I don't load jacketed handgun bullet's. I use only cast bullet's except in my carry guns, then it's factory stuff. I have heard not to shoot someone with a handload, not gonna wonder why as getting a box of factory stuff now and then won't break the bank. For practice with the carry guns, I shoot mostly cast!

Question I ask is how accurate do you need to be at 15' to hit a target the size of a man's chest? I have a problem as my rifles are very accurate and if one shot like a handgun for group's, I'd dump it in a heart beat!
It's not a question of accuracy, it's a question of effect. Any ammo is accurate enough at 5 to 10 yards.

Practice shooting at that distance as fast as you can put all the shots on a dinner-sized paper plate (what is that, 10 inches or 12?) All the shots have to hit, but anywhere on the plate is fine; doesn't have to be the center. You'll find you can do it pretty fast and accurate enough after just a few times. Any handgun in decent repair should do that if you do your part.

ETA: they are 9 or 10 inches, depending on the brand :rolleyes: Might need to use something just a little bigger.

The effectiveness of 38spl 148gr LWC will be on debate for years to come .... I have heard arguments and debates from both sides...

Self defense.......cheap ammo,,,,,don’t seem to go together in my book.
So if you want to practice twice a month and shoot say, 50 rounds each time of the same ammo you intend to use for self defense and that ammo costs $1 a round, you're fine with spending $100 a month because that's the price of the premium self defense ammo you prefer?

But, there is ammo available for half that price that also works, maybe the bullet doesn't expand consistently, but it does expand and because of its low price allows you to buy more of it vs the more expensive ammo, which means you can shoot more for less money.

For many decades, people used cheap ammo for self defense and either never had to use it in their lives or did use it and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Self defense.......cheap ammo,,,,,don’t seem to go together in my book.
I use "cheap ammo" and have for years. I shoot 9mm, 380, 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I have never had a single one that didn't fire and they all reach their target. I practice with FMJ and carry JHP. What would I gain by using expensive stuff?

You gain a lot in performance where performance equals the round (hollow point) doing what you believe it will do.

Because you aren't aware of the advantages doesn't make your position valid.

There is nothing mean in stating a lack of knowledge doesn't prove a point.

So if you want to practice twice a month and shoot say, 50 rounds each time of the same ammo you intend to use for self defense and that ammo costs $1 a round, you're fine with spending $100 a month because that's the price of the premium self defense ammo you prefer?
No, you practice with lower cost ammo, and carry the good stuff. At self defense distance, and conditions you will never notice any difference in point of impact, or accuracy. But you very well could see an important difference in bullet performance with high quality SD ammo.
My philosophy on carry ammo is similar to something I learned in my motorcycle days. If you got a $5 head, stick in a $5 helmet. Otherwise, buy a good one.

I agree with Cheapshooter.
You practice with the lower cost ammo and carry the good stuff.

You're talking defense ammo here and possibly your life, why go cheap?
Practice cheap, but protect your life with what your life is worth!

My recommendation in .38 is this:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spe...n-jacketed-hollow-point-23921gd-p-108903.aspx

Heavier 135gr bullet with the proven Gold Dot made for short barrels, but performs well in 4" and 6" bbls, too.

Last edited:
Back