Best carbon remover for BCG

Isn't CLR pretty harsh acid?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I dont know, was just a suggestion in the video I shared. I just wipe my bolt with gun solvent or CLR gunlube after each range session so it doesnt build up.

I wouldnt mind finding some cheap household non toxic cleaner to use in my sonic cleaner, maybe Simple Green.

I dont know, was just a suggestion in the video I shared. I just wipe my bolt with gun solvent or CLR gunlube after each range session so it doesnt build up.

I wouldnt mind finding some cheap household non toxic cleaner to use in my sonic cleaner, maybe Simple Green.
This one right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CLR-Calc...id=c56c1a819bb41d2a6fdd7ceec9b0fae5&gclsrc=ds

Hmm I don't know. I need to be much much more desperate to try that on gun parts.

-TL

This one right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CLR-Calc...id=c56c1a819bb41d2a6fdd7ceec9b0fae5&gclsrc=ds

Hmm I don't know. I need to be much much more desperate to try that on gun parts.

-TL

My typo bad. I got my acronyms mixed up.
I typically clean with CLP gun oil and just use a rag to wipe off till the carbon is gone. I dont shoot ARs enough to build up a lot of carbon so I just keep it clean each range session to avoid it building up.

I dont know how CLR household cleaner works, or Simple Green in a sonic bath but open to try cheap options.

Simple green works great removing grease and grime. But it needs to be thoroughly rinsed, dried, and oiled. On carbon deposit? Not sure. Will give it a try when I have a chance.

-TL

carbon

When I was doing AR armorer's work for my agency, I kept a wide mouthed sealed gallon container of Hoppe's #9 on the bench. As the rifles/carbines came in for armorer's strip and clean, I would chunk the whole bolt group in the solution and let it soak for 24hr + . When removed from the can, any carbon came off very easily. Cheap, easily located, I could buy the Hoppe's at Walmart.

Dunno what the Hoppe's did to the synthetic ejector damper/insert, but I changed those out as part of the routine.

Carburetor Cleaner, Brake Cleaner, or Electrical Parts Cleaner....

Whatever is cheapest at Autozone.

Toothbrush, Dental Picks, and a good brass brush. Slather on the CLP when done especially if you have a Phosphate finish.

I'm not going to say it is the best ...
It's as good as G.I. Bore Solvent or Hoppes #9 ... and you can mix it yourself ...
4 common ingredients from Wally Mart ... $22 will get you a gallon .

If you are interested ... search the term " Ed's Red Bore Solvent " read the history and follow the directions ... One tip , do not use synthetic automatic transmission fluid ...
use conventional ATF (synthetic ATF will not mix) follow the instructions / ingredients .
It is a most excellent cleaner and I've been using it for 40+years !
Gary

Last edited:
Back