Best caliber for long range medium-big game

I was ---><--- this close to buying a Blaser R93 in 300WM or 7mm Mag. Now I am thinking that will be just too much gun for the game in Arizona, and I don't need the reach.

If I don't get something like that, I am going to stick to my M1A in .308 and work on my stalking skills.

Well, you already have an accurate rifle. All you need to do is get real good with it.

Eons ago, I was grumbling about the difficulty of a particular shot. My uncle looked at me rather scornfully, and sorta muttered, "When I was your age, anything jumped up inside 300 yards belonged to me." He was referring to an iron-sighted Springfield 1903.

Repeat after me: "Learn th' gun ya got." Work on eye-finger-sights coordination until it's reflex that when you put it to your shoulder, you're just all married up to it and it sorta Zenlike goes off and hits the target.

Benchrest just enough to get the basics. After that, offhand and hasty rests.

I wear soft-soled, flat-soled boots. No lugs. In rough country, the trick is to glance at the ground to figure out your next three steps. Then, look around while you take those steps. Repeat. There ain't no deer or elk on the ground under your feet. My way, you spend more time looking for game; it only takes that glance to spot rolling rocks or cactus.

Learn to set your feet down sorta flat. Heel-first makes noise or vibrates the ground. I regularly walk up to within 25 yards or so of snoozing deer at mid-day. But you can't be in a hurry. Don't march; you ain't in the Infantry. Sorta zig-zag from bush to bush.

Wool pants or old, nearly-worn-out khakis don't make that "wheep, wheep" of newish Levis or any nylon. Nylon front "brush pants" are good in quail country stickers, but lousy for deer or elk. "Noise is Bad!" And camo clothing is a waste of money. It's wonderful for hiding from people when you're sitting still, but Bambi and friends only see shades of gray. (Bird hunting is different; dove and turkey see colors quite well, thank you. Doves avoid the color blue. Dunno why.)

"Real" bucks tend to lay up just below the downwind crest of a ridge, and near a saddle. That way, when spooked, they can run into the wind and not be skylined. You walk the ridgeline, crosswind or slightly in to it. A lot of times a muley will try hiding instead of running--so you have to learn to look for an ear or an eye or the shine of an antler. Not a whole deer; not out in the middle of a clearing. (If one shows up really obviously, look around behind him. Big brother might have run him out for bait.)

There's a start; have fun...

:), Art

Don't give up on the long shot because of these posts. Just pratice with the gun you have. What is meant by most shots are under 200 yards is to expect the unexpected. More often than not while you are looking at distant skylines and ridges for that far off shot, some critter that was bedded down or in a gully will pop up right close to see what's coming down the trail. You have to be ready for the close in shot too. I always leave the scope on the lowest magnification and the bipod has a quick disconnect and attaches only when needed. You won't need the range finder for these under 200 shots. If you do come across something way out there, then you will have time to use the goodies.

I have no experience with the 7MM. I do have the 25.06 and it is probably the perfect cartridge for deer and antelope. Load a Barnes 100 or 115 grain X bullet and have at it. I much prefer shooting the .25 than the .300Win. The 25.06 is on the light side if you intend getting into Elk hunting. I usually opt for the .300 only because Moose season overlaps Caribou season, and there is always the chance encouter with Mr. Bear.

Use the gun you have for a season or two and determine for yourself the ranges you will be taking shots. Have fun.

SENDERO25-06.JPG

Thor's Hammer

Sendero 25-06 with 3.5 X 10 Vari X III

119 grain Hornady SPBT at 3250 FPS

Longest shot to date, a measured 395 yards. Whitetail buck went less than 35 yards before stumbling and falling.

I would like to add that I was shooting from a tower stand with a sandbag over the railing. ROCK SOLID SHOT!!!

95% of the hunters I know have no business taking a shot at any game animal much over 150 yards without a bipod or a some other solid rest.

Back