Best Bullets for Deer

This deer bullet thing is way overdone. Deer are not Cape buffalo, relatively
easy to kill. I have killed many deer,several with a 270. The 270 shines with
120-130 gr bullets. There is no need to buy expensive hi-tec bullets. I use
Speer boat tail sps in my 270s. I have used Wins, Rem, Sierra and Noslers
with satisfactory results, dead is dead. Most important thing is to find a bullet
and load that will preform in your rifle. There is no bullet made that makes up
for a poor shot. When you get over 130 gr you are sliding into 7mm territory.
150 gr is in realm of 30 cals. Unless you go after Elk or similar big game the
130 gr will do you.one thing you have to watch is that you don't buy some
kind of target bullet with no expansion qualities. Also some of the premium
big game bullets are designed to penetrate and expand in heavier animals than
Deer.

For deer hunting over the past half century, I've had good success with Remington's "Core-Lokt" bullets and I see no real reason to switch to anything more "exotic" (read expensive). For game requiring more penetration, coupled with adequate expansion, there are probably better choices.

I have no idea about the new Winchester deer season bullet. Of all the others on the list, the Berger is going to give you the most tissue damage. The others will expand and penetrate well, but if you want the animal to look like a bomb went off inside, the VLD hunting is the bullet for you. They have been extremely accurate in every rifle I have ever shot them in.

I likevto eat my deer, so the less damage to meat is my goal. I also don't care to track them.
So my bullet choice is the Accubond and well place shots are my goal...don't take marginal shots with any bullet, so practice is important. I've used Nosler B-Tips with good results, and Core Lokts in my early years prior to handloading and they always worked fine.
Scorch had good advice, find the bullet your rifle likes, confidence is king.

A hunting bullet that performs well at 500 yards (in .270?) will not perform the same at under 100 yards - and vise-versa, something designed to work well at 100 will not be good at 500

lower velocities at longer distances will affect expansion and penetration

I guess we're back to shot placement. From sorta-close to 500 yards, my father did quite well with the old Hornady 150-grain Spire Point. Me, from 25 yards to 450 with Sierra 150-grain SPs. '06 Pretty much DRT kills.

I've had a .270 or two since 1973 when I got my first one. Being a 30-06 fan big time, the only reason I bought the .270 it was based on an FN Mauser, an action I like, plus it was $75 NIB. Shot a few deer with 130 gr. factory and hand loaded bullets, Sierras IIRC but didn't like the way the 130 gr. bullets tore up meat. Switched to the 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings which much better results. A lot less mangled meat. The last animal I took with a .270 was a nice antelope in New Mexico. That was the first time in over 40 years I shot anything but paper with a .270. Range was about 75 yards, the goat facing away from me at a relatively steep quartering angle. The bullet exited the muzzle at 2850 FPS making about a one inch hole just at the last rib, nicked the stomach just a wee bit and exited just behind the off shoulder with about a 1.5-1.75" hole. The antelope staggered in about a 30' half circle collapsed and died.
I only shoot two loads from my .270. The 150 gr. Sierra game King for deer and antelope and the 150 gr. Nobler Partition for elk and bigger although I'll probably never get a crack as anything bigger than a cow elk. I have not yet shot an elk with the .279 but one of my partners shoot the Sierra Game King from a .270 and .270 WSM and both loads have worked just fine for him.
Not from a .270 but last January I shot a cow elk at about 100 yards or so and the elk went maybe 40 feet and died. As near as we could tell the bullet did not exit and was not founds. This year I'm playing with a .280 Rem. and the Nosler Accubond Long Range bullet. So far they go fast but accuracy not so good. I'm hearing from people who use them that they are quite finicky about seating depth and that I may take some time finding the sweet spot. That 150 gr. ABLR is one good looking bullet.
Paul B.

My latest 270 been using 140gr TSX and 140gr AB on mulie buck tag. I started last year want to try something else 140/150gr Berger VLD,150gr BT,150gr PT and this year 150gr ABLR.

I didn't have 270 ready last year so hunted buck tag with 284 and this year going to use 150gr ABLR in the 270. I drew one of our special buck tag (Co) and it starts day after archery season Aug 28 end Oct 6th.

Lot of good bullets for the 270.

Reynolds that's my "money shot" just behind shoulder, right through the boiler! I really like it when its nothing but ribs right through the heart and or lungs...

I shoot for lungs. I try to avoid heart shots. I have an excellent tracking dog and the meat tastes better if the deer runs a couple hundred yards and bleeds out before it dies. I do not want to pile them up where they are hit. I want them to run and bleed a lot.

Big fan of Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips, and they even make these for my primary deer caliber, 8mm Mauser. :D

A much cheaper alternative that is very high quality is Geco Ballistic Tip in most major calibers. Most Geco ammo is either Swiss or German.

I've found that some of the older bullets seem to fragment more when they're loaded hot.

Both Hornady SP and Remington Corelokt seem to do best under 2800fps.

Of course that's just my own experience ymmv.

270 bullets for deer

First, I've killed a lot of deer, with MANY different bullets, and I've Never lost one or had one go more than a few yds. As the man said, deer are not cape buffalo--they will drop in their tracks if hit properly. that being said, try several different loads to find the one your rifle likes, and use that exclusively in that particular rifle. The deer will never know what bullet you put thru his heart, or how far it penetrated. what you need is to be able to consistently put your bullet in a 2-3 inch circle at 100 yds IN HUNTING CONDITIONS.

Back