Best budget Bolt Rifle

Yea,we are probably in the golden age of accurate low priced bolt actions.I love the American companies having heathy competition with each other to produce out of the box performance rifles. By the way,if you want to top your rifles with budget scopes check out the older Pentax lines,they seem to have some real sleepers in there.

I bought a T/C Venture 243 / for a entry level rifle this seems to be a good one. Mine after rebate was $245 with shipping and paper work. I also have one in 30-06 have not loaded for it but both shoot under 1" moa ( tried to get a 22-250 but they were out).

savage and Rem 7600 punched many a holes in a bunch of stuff cheap

I agree with you on the shootability of the 7600/760 rifles. However, no way I'd call them a "budget" rifle. They can get downright pricey.

I picked up a Mossberg Patriot in 30-06 today. Bi mart had them on sale for 249.99 because it was discontinued there. I’ll need to get some rings and a scope for it but the rifle seems decent.

Savage

I like Savage: Axis is cheapest, no accutrigger, but I got used to it. The Axis XP come with a boresighted 3x9 scope. $285 - $330. For about $40 more, depending on caliber, you can get the Axis II with no scope $315, which I did last time. I wanted the accutrigger but not the 3x9 scope.
The plastic stock is better on the newer model #s Over 20,000. I bought a Boyds stock for an Axis, and just swapped onto a newer Axis II. perfect swap both ways. Stainless steel is available in the Axis line again for about $40 more than black.
Savage makes some interesting Law Enforcement heavy barrel models, excellent accuracy, but too heavy to carry around all day. If you get one of those with a factory scope, you will end up buying a better scope for as much as the rifle cost, or more. Not a bad thing. But you will.
Savage also splits the difference other models, like hog hunter, long range hunter, scout and other formats all around $400-600.
BudsGunShop.com has got the goods at the right price and ship to your FFL.

Savage, Mossberg, Thompson Center, Howa have some pretty affordable no-frills guns some that have a 1 moa guarantee. How much were you looking to spend with a scope included?

After reading this thread apparently most of my collection are budget rifles. I have several listed above and all are solid accurate guns. Two of my favorite rifles are both TC Icons which feature massive 3-lug bolts with no wobble and slick action. These are no longer produced but the TC Venture has the same bolt, trigger and 5R rifling.....I am breaking in a sauer 100 xt that has a very similar bolt, solid slick action, a better detachable mag system and a fantastic trigger. The stock feels very solid and rigid. It is my understanding that the mauser M18 is almost the same gun....

I picked up a now discontinued Thompson Center Dimensions LOC rifle combo. It's chambered in 30-06 and 22-250 comes with a sweet adjustable trigger, one stock one receiver, two bolts two barrels, two magazine housings and two 3rd magazines. CDNN sports was closing out NIB old stock and my combo was $499.00 plus 15-20 delivery to my local FFL. I will be getting a new barrel for the LOC system receiver in the tomorrows mail chambered in 7MM Rem Mag. I am still searching for a barrel(only)in 300 Win Mag. It one does not mind composite stocks and some other non safety or performance affecting cost cutting, reliable sub MOA @ 100 yards bolt action rifles at a very affordable price are the rule instead of the exception in my experience.(7MM RemMag barrel arrived today 7-13.)

Last edited:
I've really been tossing around the idea of a Thompson Center Compass (in .223 in my case). It would be somewhat of a companion to my AR. Right now, my AR is a bit over scoped (4-16) because I want to be able to use it for coyote. I'd prefer something like a 1-4 or 1-6 on it, but given the open fields I wanted something with a little more magnification to reach out to the 'yotes if needed. Really thinking hard about getting a Compass and moving the 4-16 onto it. Think my wife might kill me, but might be worth the risk...

I have a compass in .223, it is easy to shoot sub moa with quality ammo with it .I'm still going to get another in 270 or 3006 ,that will be my fourth one.They are shooters.

I own a couple of, what I refer to as “entry level rifles.” I have a Savage Axis II chambered in .223. The accu-trigger is really a decent adjustable trigger; the original tupper-ware stock was horrible. But the rifle shoots sub moa consistently with my loads for it and with some factory ammo, so I bought a Boyd’s stock and it is now reasonable to look at and slightly more accurate. If you are willing to pay a little more, you might consider a Savage 10, and go for a model with accu-stock (aluminum bedded polymer stock); they are great rifles.
The other entry level rifle I own is a Ruger American. Mine is a Ranch model chambered in .450 Bushmaster. I bought it for the sole purpose of deer hunting in Iowa where they are affected by the straight walled cartridge dementia. This too is a decent rifle that is capable of shooting MOA. The Ruger stock is flimsy like the Savage; trigger is reasonable. The three lug bolt allows a much shorter bolt handle lift and is thus really nice around scopes.
I have not owned, but shot a TC Compass, and it seemed a reliable entry level rifle too. I think it is true that, as has been already said, most major manufacturers entry level guns are going to perform reasonably well, find the one that suits you personally. I agree also, that shooting these lighter weight guns might be a bit less fun on the range with a 30-06 or .270; .308, .260 or 6.5 Creedmore are good candidates that will hunt well and be more fun on the range, but you could just use a shoulder pad on the range...

Just picked up these 3 rifles from Howa. They are all chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have nothing but good things to say about these rifles. I also have 1 of there rifles chambered in .223 and another in .308.

Attachments

• D84CD77C-2A36-40FE-B63A-D8C07861EFE8.jpeg
    D84CD77C-2A36-40FE-B63A-D8C07861EFE8.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 28
Budget rifle

I dove into these waters about 3 years ago after laying my eyes on a Mossberg Patriot in 300 Wm. I really loved the wood and the fit and finish. I was surprised that it was an entry level rifle. Accuracy has not disappointed me in the least as it's more accurate than I am. Little mossy- horn will be getting a new scope this fall and I am finally healed up enough from surgery to go back into the woods. Can't wait! Russ

Back