Best Beam Scale

TruthTeller

TruthTeller, spend $20 on Ebay and get the Lee scale. It is durable, inexpensive, and accurate. BUT, it is hard to read. Need to have it at eye-level. The 100 grain limit was why I tried the Dillon. I needed something to check the wieghts of bullets. The Lee was lacking. Get a Lee it will not disappoint.

I recently bought the Dillon scale. I have been disappointed. It does not read accurately. I compared it with my Lee, a Dillon electronic and an RCBS electronic. The latter three weighed the same. The Dillon was off by 1.8 grains. The Dillon is MUCH easier to read than the Lee ---- but accuracy???????.

Did you determine that with check weights? ..or is that a comparison of 3 (probably inaccurate) beam scale readings to a (possibly) inaccurate electronic scale?

I always wanted an Ohaus Dial-O-Grain scale, but the 5-0-5 was what was in my budget at the time MANY years ago,..... and it's been fine. Yes, it isn't slicker than greased snot like the Dial-O-Grain is, but it does a fine job.

My beam scale is marked Pacific (early 80s) and it works very well. A couple of years ago, I checked it again with check weights and it is still right on. Only scale I need for my reloading needs.

I would much rather have a scale that is precise and bit off on the accuracy than a scale that is accurate but whose precision is sporadic. In particular when developing loads I want the precision to be spot on. That is where the main area the beams failed me in. Once I have a decent load with a nice flat zone to play with a beams precision is fine for loading. But it is hard to do a meaningful load test when the precision of the scale is off by plus or minus .1 or more. I tend to use powders that are temp stable and load to the middle node so if my scales accuracy is off by .1 I could give a darn less as long as it is precise

for those pining for the days of old there is a metric ton of Ohaus made scales on EBay.

I just searched for "metric Ohaus" and "gram Ohaus" and got nothing. What are the magic search terms? All I saw was crude stuff that wouldn't resolve 0.1 grains. A gram is about 15 grains, so 0.01g is around .15 grains. That's not a comforting level of resolution.

I have been trying to figure beam scales out for several days. Ohaus-made scales resembling the 10 10 are hard to come by unless you want to play the annoying bidding game and end up with a scale three months from now for well over $100.

I finally settled on an NOS RCBS 505 that had the old packaging. I thought maybe that indicated that it was made in America. Hoping for the best.

I don't get all this trouble people have with beam scales. Been loading for about 50 yrs now and have never needed a check weight! Been using beam scale's most that time , Ohause and RCBS. Got an inexpensive electronic scale and saw the first check weight of my life. Very seldom use that electronic scale, very seldom! In fact I don't recall ever recall meeting anyone in my life that had a problem with a beam scale other than myself. After over 30 yrs mine wouldn't weight the same every time. Called RCBS and they said it needed a new crystals, that what the beam ride's on. They sent me out a new pair free!

I am sure you will be fine with that 5-0-5 scale Swifty. Mine has served me well for 40 years and I used it for load development in 1,000 yard F Class Competition. Pay no mind to the haters.

Don

TruthTeller, spend $20 on Ebay and get the Lee scale. It is durable, inexpensive, and accurate. BUT, it is hard to read. Need to have it at eye-level. The 100 grain limit was why I tried the Dillon. I needed something to check the wieghts of bullets. The Lee was lacking. Get a Lee it will not disappoint.
I said I already have a scale, I don't need another one, but I am not willing to bury the Lee scale just because it's cheap. It's not the best beam scale, but it may be the best bang for the buck.

Been loading for about 50 yrs now and have never needed a check weight!
I bought a set because I was wondering why my loads seemed to be running higher velocities than what other people were getting. So the check weights eliminated one possible source of error.... Ie. It wasn't the scale :) . Check weights have their uses! And good for piece of mind. Cheap insurance.

Last edited:
Have an older RCBS(Ohaus) 10-10 beam scale I bought new in '77-'78. Still use it and works fine. Don't believe they are made here any longer. Mine was manufactured in Florham Park, New Jersey. Old school.

I misread the post about a "metric ton" of Ohaus scales. I thought it said "a ton of metric Ohaus scales." I thought it meant there were cheap deals on metric scales for people willing to do the math!

The RCBS 505 arrived, and within the limits of what I have to test it with at the moment, it seems well able to get me close to a tenth of a grain.

It's not the best beam scale, but it may be the best bang for the buck.

I agree. I have a Lee scale and it is very accurate, just a bit tedious to zero and set the weight for charges. I really only use it to make sure that my electronic scales are on their game.

Back